One last appeal to create a V63m Schoeps board copy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wordsushi

Much respect to those of you like Midwayfair who have tinkered with the lowly Schoeps circuit. Much.

However, what I would really love and need is  a way to get my hands on some direct copies of the MXL V63m/CAD GXL 2000 implementation of the Schoeps circuit board. I know there are better ways to do that circuit, but for personal reasons, I would love if it someone would create a clone of these boards and layouts (kinda like what RuudNL used to do) and put them up on OshPark. I'd do it myself if I knew how or if I knew anyone who could do it for me, so knowing this is the best place to ask, I'd like to ask one more time if anyone can do this.

Thanks!
M

Maybe i'm weird, but i can't help but wonder why exactly one would want an exact copy of what could be considered (marginally) "substandard" :)

For example, one "default" mod would be the slight re-wiring of the capsule input circuitry (remove one of the 1G resistors and the input coupling cap, apply bias voltage to the front diaphragm and wire the backplate to the JFET gate). And perhaps adding a 1M trimpot across the source resistor, to fine-tune the gate bias.

Khron said:
Maybe i'm weird, but i can't help but wonder why exactly one would want an exact copy of what could be considered (marginally) "substandard" :)

For example, one "default" mod would be the slight re-wiring of the capsule input circuitry (remove one of the 1G resistors and the input coupling cap, apply bias voltage to the front diaphragm and wire the backplate to the JFET gate). And perhaps adding a 1M trimpot across the source resistor, to fine-tune the gate bias.

Yeah, I know it may sound weird and people don't like this implementation but it's what I'm looking for. Your idea of the trimpot to fine tune the gate bias would be a good addition though. I'd want to keep the input coupling cap though.  I have my reasons and I'd love to find someone who has the ability to do this. That's all I'm asking.

So the "why" needs to remain a secret? Especially for insisting on keeping parts that don't need to be in the signal path...

Khron said:
So the "why" needs to remain a secret? Especially for insisting on keeping parts that don't need to be in the signal path...

The reason why is simple. It's what I'm looking for at this point in time. If I ever need a lesson as to why it's inferior to something you would design, I promise I'll ask.

I would like to have a copy of these boards because I enjoyed tinkering with RuudNL's v63 clone boards and learned a lot that way and would like more boards to tinker with, build a birdhouse with or just frisbee across the highway. I'm just asking if anyone here has any interest and can do it. If not, I'll just hang a flyer at my local college or something. I'm sure there's someone out there who can do this.

Sorry I asked here.

Why don't you make you own on vero-board?or even point to point? you can tinker as you go and you'll learn a hell of a lot more than just using someone else's design.

Timjag said:
Why don't you make you own on vero-board?or even point to point? you can tinker as you go and you'll learn a hell of a lot more than just using someone else's design.

Would if I could. I've tried, but haven't succeeded at making it work yet. I just happen to like taking parts from this particular iteration of the circuit and sticking in other parts to see what happens and donor mics with them are getting harder to find.

Wordsushi said:
I'd do it myself if I knew how or if I knew anyone who could do it for me, so knowing this is the best place to ask, I'd like to ask one more time if anyone can do this.

So know you have a reason to start learning a pcb design software.
they're easy to use and there's some nice freeware software for that.

So you should do it, be DIY!

This is a DIY forum!

Latest posts

Back