Awesome 7 GBP dynamic capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

Hi people. Just tested a capsule i bought to try some internal drum miking, and this one is awesome and costs peanuts.

I did compare it to sm57 and it has slightly more high end which i actually like, and low end as well. Mind that i didn't use any transformer with it, and sm57 has it's stock.
It is possible that these can be found even cheaper, but i didn't bother. Could be that it is modeled after beta 57 capsule, so i have no idea really, anyway it sounds awesome! I ordered 10 more today :)

Here is quick frequency response test i did, nothing scientific, 20cm from my monitors in my control room. It shows pretty mush what i hear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/600-Ohm-Imp...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited:
Is that REW? You could use the "All SPL" view and overlay the two traces, 'for added effect' :)

We've all been there... ;D In non-professional circles, that's also known as "brainfart"...

You could be accused of the same trick that speaker manufacturers use, to make the response plots look flatter, ie. using a huuuuge dB range ;D

What's that, an ~8dB difference around 3-4k? Vaguely reminds me of a comparison graph i've seen between the t.Bone MB75 and the SM57...
https://www.delamar.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/shure_sm57_t.bone_mb-75-hitec_-dm57_testbericht_3.jpg

It is not callibrated system, nothing scientific about this measuring as i said. If you look at it that way my sm57 has +- 40 db variations in frequency response :)

That boost is no where near 8db. Just wanted to give heads up. If anyone is interrested in something like this, 7£ is a no brainer.

Amount sold and amount sold per hour on ebay kinda bothers me. Seems someone is using a lot of these :)

I was only talking about the graph in REW - you CAN zoom the vertical axis in a bit; that 360dB span is somewhat... unrealistic, to say the least :D

(And it's worth remembering that dB is "only", or mostly, a way to express ratios, not absolute values, so calibration isn't all that relevant for these sort of comparative measurements :) )

Because forum member kingkorg was so enthousiastic about these capsules, I ordered a few to check them.
I did not do any measurements thus far, but compared to a Shure SM57 they sound excellent!
It seems they have a fuller low end response and lack the agressive peaks in the midrange.
Real good value for money.

(In fact I never understood what people liked about the SM57, but it seems 'you have to have them'...

I was wondering the same thing, actually :)

rockinrob86 said:
Did you build a body for them or just wire them up for testing?

I'm not shure ( ;D) how I would house them...

rockinrob86 said:
Did you build a body for them or just wire them up for testing?

Years ago I bought a couple of cheap 'karaoke microphones' for 4 Euro...
I removed the fixed (low quality) cable and managed to mount a 3-pin miniature Tuchel connector.
These capsules have just the correct size to replace the original capsule (that sounded like nothing!)

Attachments

• Mic.JPG
    Mic.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 22
You could probably buy the Pyle PDMIC78 sm57 clone and use it as a donor body. At less than 25$, it's a no brainer. I also have the feeling they use that capsule you're talking about. I have the Pyle and actually prefer it over the 57 on snare.

Definitely what you notice the most is the increase in top end, and a little more bass. Sounds really nice on snare. Keep in mind though that the body is a little flimsy and has to be used with care.  Still though, my M201 has been my go to for a while now :)

Latest posts

Back