Anyone built a 'What Compressor'?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
i've been looking at "weak joe" for the first time when i got the incredibly low cost hi quality 1176 pcbs from mnats in lightening speed. A very interesting design as i'm not primarily in vocals but electronic music. his design is very versatile and i'm also interested as i have alot double sided pcb material and his design is originally double sided with ground plane...cool work.

i stuck on this page primarily because i saw this green pots that looked so familiar because i received some equal looking alps ones a week before at a superduper price...without a plan "what"for... :grin:

if there's enough demand, maybe he's willing to make a bunch?
(just a thought)

Martin

[quote author="smallbutfine"]...if there's enough demand, maybe he's willing to make a bunch?[/quote]If he has the Gerber files, anyone can have them made. If not, I'll layout a version that we can have fabbed, but it'll be a few weeks.

I made a 2-sided layout of the What, but never had boards made. I was just getting ready to send them off, but then I decided to do the Weak instead. It may end up being a hybird with switchable April resistor and attack/release switchable from auto to manual. I'd also like to put a 2-color LED level indcator on there for the input and output signals. All switching will be done with relays.

Problem is, I need to clone myself so that one of me can carry on with the job and family, while the other can focus on my hobbies!

I would be interested in boards for the Weak too. It seems to do everything the What does and more.

A switchable april resistor would be great. But wouldnt a wet/dry control be more usefull?

[quote author="Mendelt"]But wouldnt a wet/dry control be more usefull?[/quote]Probably, but I hate to put yet another pot on the thing.

[quote author="tony dB"]one can never have to much buttons :wink:[/quote]Yeah, I guess your right. As long as I can get 2 in a 19" rack, I'll be ok.

[quote author="Flatpicker"][quote author="smallbutfine"]...if there's enough demand, maybe he's willing to make a bunch?[/quote]If he has the Gerber files, anyone can have them made. If not, I'll layout a version that we can have fabbed, but it'll be a few weeks.

I made a 2-sided layout of the What, but never had boards made. I was just getting ready to send them off, but then I decided to do the Weak instead. It may end up being a hybird with switchable April resistor and attack/release switchable from auto to manual. I'd also like to put a 2-color LED level indcator on there for the input and output signals. All switching will be done with relays.

Problem is, I need to clone myself so that one of me can carry on with the job and family, while the other can focus on my hobbies![/quote]

I've been poking around but haven't found the info, so I'll just ask. What's the difference between the 'What' compressor and the 'Weak Joe'?

Thanks,
Chris

[quote author="StephenGiles"]Just admiring my redraw!!!!! Now, what type of frame shall I use??[/quote]hee hee... Looks good Stephen. :thumb:

I got on board Fabio's PCB buy, and I wonder if it would be worthwhile getting a meter (or a pair for stereo) in there. As a newbie, I don't really know how to go about doing this. Can anybody who knows offer some insight?

Thanks.

So...
everybody around here seems to go for fabios board because they offer so much options...
i now have five vactrols since friday :grin:
(what should i do? 2 stereo units for my electro equipment and one custom mono for voice?)
I'm thinking about etching the boards myself...2x what (Peterc or mnats first design with mix button?), 2x weak(mnats) and one of fabios design with the first try to build a melcor(!?) :shock: :grin:

Seems logical to me...
Is fabio's pcb art available for a try of home etching? Haven't found it by now...
Fabio?
Fabio??
EDITED: hmm..maybe after the groupbuy ended...? :roll: the pcbs look great indeed but again i ran a bit out of money! :wink:

Kind regards

Martin

Hey!
whatV2_zulu.gif

V2 revision 1 board all stuffed and working :)

Sounds good enough to me with OEP and Melcor (not shown).

Sweeeeet! To be mounted with Neve1272 micpre....

Do you guys still wanna some PDF layout to home etching?!

:guinness:
Fabio

Back