Anyone built a 'What Compressor'?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Bauman"]Hey!
Do you guys still wanna some PDF layout to home etching?!

:guinness:
Fabio[/quote]

Gerbers would make me happy if it is not too much to ask. :grin:

chrissugar

YES! :grin:

thanks again for the pm you sent me...
nevertheless i probably wanna build more of this (more channels...)trying to home etch in farer future...(after testing)

So if you would share, it will be a great donation to this forum.
Not only for home etching but also to show how you did all those options...
:grin: :thumb:

kind regards

Martin

(btw finished my first doublesided home etched pcb yesterday, was a weak joe...looks ugly :wink: but should work ok after stuffing now)

Fabio rules! :thumb:

Keep us posted on sonic differences between transformerless 5532 versions vs. the OEPs w/Melcors.

Question for all you WHAT builders using Fabio's boards: What transformers do you plan to use? I'm thinking the LL1540 for input and some kind of Cinemag for output. Anyone have an opinion on bifilar vs. quadfilar for output? I was looking at the CMOB-2H (or 2L) or maybe the CMOQ-2L. I'm planning on making a linkable pair and wiring for the optional attack, release, and ratio controls. Thanks for the help.

:guinness:
Analog Packrat

Tamas,
Well, I feel better about my output trafo selection now :wink: . What discrete op amp are you going to use? Would your GainBloak be usable in this circuit?

Thanks,
Analog Packrat

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]What discrete op amp are you going to use? Would your GainBloak be usable in this circuit?[/quote]

I will try a few different ones. I will test the GainBloak also and see if the DC offset is tolerable on the output.

I know it's been a long time since there was any activity on this thread but do you need a line driver/receiver circuit for the input/output/sidechain?
has any body used any transformers on the in / output if so will a 1:1 ratio transformer do?

How would I wire the transformer?

Cheers for any reply
D

Hi Guys.
Does anyone still have the BOM of What Compressor on Peter C old webite? https://web.archive.org/web/20040604232134/http://1176neve.tripod.com/1176/id5.html

Thank you for any replies :)

Ipin

Here it is

Not sure if the part numbers correspond to the PCB overlay.... Might have to confirm against the schematic. I have changed PCB software since doing this and dont have the old package any longer.

Attachments

• whatparts(1).txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 29
peterc said:
Here it is

Not sure if the part numbers correspond to the PCB overlay.... Might have to confirm against the schematic. I have changed PCB software since doing this and dont have the old package any longer.

Thank you Peter! Really appreciate that, will check the layout and the schematic :)

Hi @peterc how you doing?

Is there anyway that I can hook this compressor on the GreenPre board, like send-return?

or do I need to make a balancing amp (input and output)? like on your old site Balancing Amp
(but the files are missing, do you still have them?) and put it after the GreenPre?

My plan is, to make GreenPre -> WhatComp -> W492Eq in one box

Thank you
Ipin

Back