• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB NOS Tantal cap 10/16 - 47/6,3 - 47/16

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekid777

Hi,
I would like to buy these NOS caps
Both 47uf are ITT
and the 10uf ERO-TANTAL

Thanks!

Why mate?

Tantalum caps fail short, that can be quite dangerous in some circuits.

Why would buy old Tant caps that can fail at any moment when you could buy modern caps that are much more reliable?

Whoops said:
Why would buy old Tant caps that can fail at any moment when you could buy modern caps that are much more reliable?

Why would use that old Neumann mic when we have these brand new ones?

Tants in circuit have a sound, replacing them with electrolytics can alter the sound of a circuit.  If you are repairing a vintage piece cap substitutions can have an effect on value, and if you are a detail guy/gal then you may want to use original components in a recreation too.

I know Ruairi, but I was not saying replacing with electrolytic, I was saying using New Tantalum caps and not NOS from 30 years ago, that could develop a short at any point.

Well I just came from replacing failed short tantalum caps from an analog keyboard, they were in the PSU they failed short and burned the power transformer. Had to be rewinded.
Last week I had to replace tants that shorted  from 3 modules in a console. Gladly the PSU resisted

Let's be honest, when we're talking about old electrolytic or tantalum capacitor the "Original" component doesn't exist anymore, you can get a component that has the same brand and colour and used to be original 30 years ago, but the original properties are not there, they deteriorated over time and know is just trash or an accident waiting to happen.

This is just my honest advice. Just trying to help

My advice is to replace tantalum capacitors for new and modern ones, that are much more robust.
And replace Electrolytic capacitors with Panasonic or Nichicon ones from a supplier that has a higher rotation of stock (really low shelf life)

ruairioflaherty said:
If you are repairing a vintage piece cap substitutions can have an effect on value, and if you are a detail guy/gal then you may want to use original components in a recreation too.

Let me know 1 piece of equipment that is more valuable to possible buyers if it has installed a 47uf ITT tant cap  and 10uf ERO-TANTAL cap instaled?

I don't know any, but I know equipment that has more value if it had a full recap job of Electrolytic and Tants before the sale.

ruairioflaherty said:
Why would use that old Neumann mic when we have these brand new ones?

I dont think this is a good analogy. The neumann mic doesnt have self destructive tendencies after a certain age....

Hi guys! thanks for your messages and advices
My experience here is I bought new tantals from kemet and avx to replace
the old tants in my Studer and the sound difference was astounding, for the worse!
Stereo field was much smaller, depth as well, voices became sibilant the overall sound being
much less warm and detailed.
So, yes, I would like to find some of these old caps to keep at least the great sound and balance they put in this circuit!

thekid777 said:
Stereo field was much smaller, depth as well, voices became sibilant the overall sound being
much less warm and detailed.

That's not possible, something was wrong with your test.

thekid777 said:
So, yes, I would like to find some of these old caps to keep at least the great sound and balance they put in this circuit!

You will not find it, there's no NOS (New Old Stock) in tantalum caps just DOS (Deteriorated Old Stock)

Remember you're looking for DOS caps

iampoor1 said:
I dont think this is a good analogy. The neumann mic doesnt have self destructive tendencies after a certain age....

Definitely, it was not a good analogy, but I think Ruairi thought my advice was to replace tantalum with electrolytic so he probably was referring to that.

Whoops said:
That's not possible, something was wrong with your test.

You will not find it, there's no NOS (New Old Stock) in tantalum caps just DOS (Deteriorated Old Stock)

Remember you're looking for DOS caps

Well, nothing was wrong, I replaced these tants with the same value and voltage as the originals
and I didnt buy cheap tantal ones... (costed me 200€ as I wanted to recap all the output line amps)
The tants which are in my console are 40 years old and works really well, not really DOS.
I know many persons are running the same console without replacing these.
None are shorted and yes, sounds much better to my ears than the new ones.

iampoor1 said:

You are right, I was being a little facetious.  Tant's are something of a liability in power supply bypass applications but in the audio circuit itself failure is not a big deal.

Whoops said:
Definitely, it was not a good analogy, but I think Ruairi thought my advice was to replace tantalum with electrolytic so he probably was referring to that.

I did, sorry about that.  I happily use new tants.

Re your point about a specific piece of gear and specific caps, I don't have an example or feel that way but I understand the urge some people have to keep certain gear as original as possible, the caps in certain 50's tweed Fenders or a U47 for example.

thekid777 said:
Well, nothing was wrong, I replaced these tants with the same value and voltage as the originals
and I didnt buy cheap tantal ones... (costed me 200€ as I wanted to recap all the output line amps)
The tants which are in my console are 40 years old and works really well, not really DOS.
I know many persons are running the same console without replacing these.
None are shorted and yes, sounds much better to my ears than the new ones.

Take some pictures of those caps ITT and  ERO-TANTAL caps you want, so I can recognize them when I see something similar.
I have a shop in my city that has a big wharehouse of old stock components, I remember they had ITT caps there, maybe Ero branded caps also
I can ask next time I go there

send me pictures

Latest posts

Back