Suggestions for another project that I don't have time to do

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, friends,

I'm looking at building a single rack space channel strip that consists of an Access/Whistle rock 312, a TG1 style compressor, and some sort of EQ, which I am humbly asking assistance in my search. I thought about just a Harrison Ford filter, but I would also want some selectable mid band with cut/boost. I'd like to run everything off of a bipolar PSU to keep things simple. Actual designing circuits from scratch is way out of my skill set as I'm confined to existing schematics and PCBs at this point in my DIY adventure. Most EQs boards I have found are too big to fit with the other PCBs listed above. Maybe if I get creative with one of those W492 boards and just use one or two of the bands. If anyone has suggestions or schematics that you think would be fun to try, please send them my way.

This project would be months down the road. I'm hoping to at least figure out which components and design a panel in the interim.

Thanks!

Paul

Love the title of this post. I don't have any specific builds in mind, but if you haven't already thought of it, I'd look at 500 series projects. There are a ton of them out there that fit your requirements. I've heard very good things about the hairball FET 500 for instance. I know that I've seen 1U cases floating around that house 3 500 series units. Then your strip would be modular. Of course, I'm sure that there are ways to customize it if you'd rather it have a solid faceplate.

This would be a rack mount unit. I'm very familiar with Jeff and Mike's work, and have build many of their units, but 500 series would be too big for what I'm after.This is mostly just to find a simple EQ  with one or two bands to fit within a preamp and compressor that has already been decided.

Thanks!

Paul

Without reading your full post, the W492 was the first that came to my mind.
So I had the same feeling as you.

The Board is small enough, bipolar supply, low power consumption and a great and flexible eq

Back