Neumann M49 internal plexiglass dish

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timjag

Hi good folks

Does anyone have in their possession a M49 with which they could measure the internal plexiglass dish that protects the tube and supports the capsule? I intend on making a few.

Unless anyone has a CAD I'll knock one up.

Thanks lovers

Tim

Height is 23mm
Outside Diameter is 63mm
Inside Diameter is (I think) 60mm

I'm also planning on doing a set for my M49 build but I have no access to a CNC or something.  Just a manual milling cutter and an old vertical drilling machine.
I think I'll use polycarbonat instead of plexiglass as it has higher surface resistance and is studier. The original used a plexiglass type called Perspex.
How are you going to make them? Do you have access to some good machines?

Thanks Murdock

Perspex is a British brand of acrylic plexiglass, it's all known as Perspex in Britain - a bit like hoover means vacuum cleaner.  I discussing with my lovely ex partner about getting some vacuum forming done. I'll work out costs and present here in a week or so.

Are you using Banzai's kit? I don't want to get these made up only to find they won't fit  : ;D!!!!

From what I gather they appear to be the same dimensions as the original.

Tim

Yeah, I'm using Banzai's kit. And I can tell you right away, when unmodified, the original dimensions of the perspex cover won't fit in there as there are only 60mm of space inside headbasket... But it should be quite easy to remove 3mm of the inner ring.
But as I understsand you, you want to make something like a groupbuy, right?

Well I could make it smaller - it doesn't have to be perfectly identical and it'll be easier for everyone than putting in on a lathe. Yes I thought I'd share the love :)

I have yet to seen the kit so I can't say, it would be good to. What are your thoughts

Tim

Yeah, if you want to offer it to the other people of the groupbuy, than it would probably be better to modify the dimensions.
60mm diameter should be ok.
But if you want, you could also offer a "vintage" one with the original dimensions.  ;D

TLRT said:
Why not cut it with laser? I'm doing all my Ptp/turret stuff with that.

Do you have a laser at home or do you order from a factory?

Would you like me to make you one that's the correct dimensions? It's possible but I really need a lot more photos - I guess I could hire one, I don't really want to drop £100 on that though

If it would be possible I would be highly interested in two of those with the correct dimensions. If the price is right...
I would be happy with just the plain cover, no need for the 3 extra things on top. I read that they were glued on there anyway. I could do that myself.
Which other dimensions do you need? There are a lot of good pictures on the internet.
You could also try to contact Aputis as he probably got a CAD drawing or similar. But he's hard to reach and his versions are not accurate I think.

Yeah Andrew is pretty up a gainst it pressure wise, I can't wait to have his kit too :)

Re price, It should be fine I think can't say yet but I wouldn't even offer if it was unaffordable.

Are they glued? - I thought they were raised parts with lugs on them. If it's vacuum formed it's just as easy to include them. Any kindly person out there have a 49? :D

Tim

Murdock said:
Yeah, if you want to offer it to the other people of the groupbuy, than it would probably be better to modify the dimensions.
60mm diameter should be ok.
But if you want, you could also offer a "vintage" one with the original dimensions.  ;D

Do you have a laser at home or do you order from a factory?

Yes I know a factory, I can draw my plans in any vector based sw(coreldraw etc) and them it is good to go.

Attachments

• 20375998_1617919388278361_4891969126047033100_n.jpg
    20375998_1617919388278361_4891969126047033100_n.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 106
Looks great!
But it's probably quite expensive, right?
And I don't know if a laser is the right tool to make a "lid".

Not expensive, just it needs some time to draw the plans.Still prefer this to any other PCB materials(so turrets+acrilic only) Yes I think it is quite 2D only but I can ask what is possible

I have a copy shop around the corner who does laser cut, I got my plexi plates for my 49 done their for 15 euro.

I've read about this site http://www.razorlab.co.uk/materials/info/?id=172, which is quite cheap for lasercutting

I made a bottom and top acrylic plate with front panel designer.
Don't know if its right, take the plans I found here at the forum.

This is for the top plate.
Mounting for the screws. In the middle the screw hole for my m7 capsule and then three small holes for the teflon keystone pins for capsule wiring.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/viwoscw4dmao99s/M49%20AcrylTop.fpd?dl=0

And the bottom plate.
Hope the holes are right for Banzais body.
I take a larger cut for the Transformer and wires.
Will take the FAB BV11 transformer, just need the right dimensions.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/33ofk9mjkc8pepq/M49%20Acryl.fpd?dl=0

I hope this will help somebody.
If something is wrong, then I would fix it.

Latest posts

Back