Neumann M49 internal plexiglass dish

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a more or less acurate view of the top of the plexiglas cover includinge dimension and height of the raised parts.

https://www.file-upload.net/download-12742984/M49PlexiglasDish.fpd.html

TillM said:
Hope the holes are right for Banzais body.

Ø61mm / 3 holes, 120° separation

Attachments

• M49 Kit – Board mounting dimensions.pdf
    212.6 KB · Views: 52
If anyone is interested I can 3D print these.
I have a Formlabs Form 2 SLA printer and the output is extremely accurate.
Price would be minimal and would be willing to try it for no charge if someone wishes to evaluate it.

Cheers
Mac

What materials can you use in your printer?
Polycarbonat? Plexiglas?
I'm really not sure how this all works, but I know that the treatment of those materials has an effect on the electrical properties...
Someone here that knows about this stuff?

Im not exactly sure what the material is...it starts out as a thick clear liquid then is polymerized with a 405nm laser.

wILL ASK THE COMPANY IF THERE ARE ANY ELECTRICAL PROPERTIES ALTHOUGH i SUSPECT THEY ARE NOT AWARE OF ANY. OOOps...caps lock

The jpg from Banzai looks pretty straightforward.

Is it simply an extruded circle or is there something on the underside of it?

How thick is the extruded circle?

Thanks
Mac

maq3396 said:
The jpg from Banzai looks pretty straightforward.

Is it simply an extruded circle or is there something on the underside of it?

How thick is the extruded circle?

Thanks
Mac

The picture from Banzai just shows the location of the mounting holes for the PCB on his M49 bodies...
we're talking about this thing : 
M50-M49-capsules.jpg

That's interesting on the 3D print thing, I thought 3D printing wasn't very good at clear?

Murdock I can't imagine it's going to be very difficult to have that vacuum formed I'll work on a sketchup CAD this evening and you can see what you think.

I'd it's 63x23 then...simples! I can guesstimate where the raised turret points and capsule holder mount are from that photo. Unless you know?

I'll do a 58mm and a 63mm

It ends up being "frosty" after the resin is cleaned and cured.

If you are going to vacuum form it, that is great.

If that is not successful let me know and I will try it here.

Cheers

Timjag said:
That's interesting on the 3D print thing, I thought 3D printing wasn't very good at clear?

Murdock I can't imagine it's going to be very difficult to have that vacuum formed I'll work on a sketchup CAD this evening and you can see what you think.

I'd it's 63x23 then...simples! I can guesstimate where the raised turret points and capsule holder mount are from that photo. Unless you know?

I'll do a 58mm and a 63mm

I uploaded a file with the positions of the raised parts. Probably not 100% accurate but close enough. Do you have the program "front panel designer"?

I don't but I'm sure i can get it, I'm a mac boy I'm afraid, but I do run parallels

edit: I see it is mac software  ;D

Yeah, it's a great program for designing front panels. But I also sometimes use it to design turret board layouts...
In the file I uploaded you can click on those circles (which are the raised parts) and see the location relative to the center point of the plexiglas cover. You can see the information on the left side.

Not at the moment got snowed under but I should have some answers very soon

let's see if this works, I'e 3D'ed you front panel in sketch up, it doesn't render all but it'll do for demonstration

tim

Attachments

• m49 perspex dish top.jpg
    m49 perspex dish top.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 23
and this would be a 60mm version that would fit in the banzai kit unmodified

Attachments

• m49 perspex dish 60mm.jpg
    m49 perspex dish 60mm.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 23
That's what I thought - they're 8mm according to the file you supplied. I really wish I had an M49 to hand! But funnily enough no one I know with one will let me take it home let alone allowing me to strip  down their 10 grand microphone! Haha

I'd love to make it as accurate as possible, with the turret board etc, just can't see how the transformer is mounted.

I need to know more about the 60mm lip., whether getting rid of it is easy/practical or whether it supports the grille, so I guess I'm going to have to wait to get the body, which his currently held up but not having everyone's names for the binder kits!

so this looks more right to me

Attachments

• m49 perspex dish 63mm.jpg
    m49 perspex dish 63mm.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 25
Yeah, this looks better.
Concerning the mounting of the transformer. I'm pretty sure, that the black plastic board is hollow from above and that the transformer is bolted from there through the transformer into the transformer mount. Hope you understand what i mean, It's kinda hard to explain. But if you look for some pictures it should be obvious.
The turret board is then mounted onto the black plastic board, probably with standoffs. As you can see in some pictures that the turret board and he plastic board are not touching each other.
As you can see here:
Neumann_M49_017~0.jpg

Latest posts

Back