solid state vacuum tubes?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From features list:

- Original design and cool look (orange line glows when they're powered ON)
- Blind tests show no difference in sound character between AMT 12AX7-WS Warm Stone tubes and top of the line vacuum tubes

..I believe the first...

Jakob E.

Ha! I guess this gonna put to rest the other thread about 12AX7's sounding different. Just use the solid state type, they all sound exactly the same!

The package is probably big because they are using a TO-220 sized FET in there. Not sure if there are any smaller FET's that can handle the high voltage.

But I'm actually interested in hearing them...Wonder if they are quieter?

scott2000 said:
Why I wonder....... The package???
Probably an attempt at energy savings for a guitar amp, no filament. 

Playing blues through a "green" tube amp would just make me see red.

Yellow, orange you guys in a-green-mint?

Yeah it seems to get tried every so often, give them the benefit of  doubt and maybe they have a new twist
[ probably just a new marketing twist ]  or you'd think why not ? technology keeps improving should be possible? !

If they were cheaper , I'd buy one to find out for myself but I don't know anyone who has tried one for themselves
Soldano's  jet city market  3 gain versions no mention of using them in their product!

btw last time I checked out a transtube amp on  " youtube "  the sound had a  " processed " quality to me kind of plastic
[ who knows what they did and how do you describe it ]

Still there have been many good players using various  SS amps

okgb said:
Yeah it seems to get tried every so often, give them the benefit of  doubt and maybe they have a new twist
[ probably just a new marketing twist ]  or you'd think why not ? technology keeps improving should be possible? !

If they were cheaper , I'd buy one to find out for myself but I don't know anyone who has tried one for themselves
Soldano's  jet city market  3 gain versions no mention of using them in their product!

btw last time I checked out a transtube amp on  " youtube "  the sound had a  " processed " quality to me kind of plastic
[ who knows what they did and how do you describe it ]
If you are talking about the Peavey "transtube" I know the engineers who developed it and a (very) little about it.

When tubes overload they have dynamic distortion mechanisms that change with time, and circuit.

The patented Peavey system mimics some of the more dominant mechanisms of tube overload.

I recall the trade show when peavey introduced it... The had a ABX (single blind) switch in the demo room and switched between a transtube amp, and an actual tube amp... the transtube was dialed in to sound like that tube amp...  Over the course of several days only a small hand full of players could pick out the real tube amp vs the transtube...  :eek: :eek:

It is possible to mimic tube overload distortion but like so what?  The transtube was done decades ago with cheap analog mimicry, I suspect a serious DSP mimic could be even better, but ,,,,,,,,,

JR
Still there have been many good players using various  SS amps

A couple of years ago I bought some military surplus solid state 12AT7 replacements. They were used for upgrading the tube based equipment to solid state without changing the circuitry. I have not tried them yet. Still sitting in the drawer.

Attachments

• 12AT7_600.jpg
    12AT7_600.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 9
Curious , usually the military is more concerned with reliability and not sound [ metal clad 6v6's ? ]
send one with my order  [ which I owe you  ] and I'll see how it does in a gtr amp.

Indeed the reliability is the factor. The pins are actually hard gold plated, as is the bottom part of the can.

No probs. We'll sort out something when you are ready.

Latest posts

Back