GlenSound Mixer Frame

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I was lucky enough to pick up this vintage GlenSound broadcast mixer on ebay yesterday:

frontscaledcropped.png

pic4.jpg

i bought it because it is a nice shape and it appears to be EuroRack based which is the same system I use when building my tube mixers - have you guessed where this is going? So I thought I would discard all the semiconductor innards and retain just the framework and P&G faders and use it to build myself I nice little tube mixer.

Now if I was building you a tube mixer in this frame - what would you want in it??

I anyone wants info or spares for a GlenSound GSL9 I may soon be able to help.

Cheeers

Ian

Edit: fixed the bl...y image links.

ruairioflaherty said:
Looks like a fantastic basis for a build Ian, congrats.

If you are parting out the PPMs please let me know, my email is the same as before.

I am not planning on using the PPMs so I will put them aside for you. I'll email you when it arrives and I have dismantled it.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I am not planning on using the PPMs so I will put them aside for you. I'll email you when it arrives and I have dismantled it.

Cheers

Ian

Superb Ian, thank you.  It's for a long term project so no rush.  I actually bought a pair of PPM 14 on another forum and was scammed, one of the only times I've lost money like that.

Hi Ian

when yolu get the frame; if the P&Gs are the older type with the 16-way Plessey/Painton connectors on the bottom, let me know if ned any help refurbishing them as I have just done 40 odd of them and have a jig set up to make the job easier.

Cheers

Mike

madswitcher said:
Hi Ian

when you get the frame; if the P&Gs are the older type with the 16-way Plessey/Painton connectors on the bottom, let me know if need any help refurbishing them as I have just done 40 odd of them and have a jig set up to make the job easier.

Cheers

Mike

Hey, MIke. That is a brilliant. They are probably 30+ years old. I was toying with the idea of replacing them be refurbishment is a much better solution.

Cheers

Ian

Humner said:
Really happy you found this Ian - I'll be keeping a very close eye on this thread!

Rob

A while back I designed a 7HP (1.4 inch wide) module based on the classic mic pre with the tubes mounted vertically. I think I can squeeze 48V, phase and 20dB pad toggles, a gain trim and pan pot onto the front panel. 8 of these should fit in the top section with enough space left over for bus amps. I am now playing with a new simple low insertion loss 3 band EQ that I hope will fit in the middle section (I am guessing it is only about 100mm deep rather than the 160mm of my normal boards). 8 P&Gs at the bottom and I could have a nice 8x2 tube mixer. Might have to make a few holes in the back to let the heat out!!

Cheers

Ian

Ian,
What a great score. Serendipity or kizmet it was waiting for you. I'd love to see your designs for a comprehensive monitoring section since you have the space.  Oh and tube bus compressors.  Oh and possible automation via teensy.  I am obviously excited to see what it turns into.

Rocinante said:
Ian,
What a great score. Serendipity or kizmet it was waiting for you. I'd love to see your designs for a comprehensive monitoring section since you have the space.  Oh and tube bus compressors.  Oh and possible automation via teensy.  I am obviously excited to see what it turns into.

I cannot really take any credit for finding it. I got an email from Jorn Christensen who thought I might be interested in it. When I looked there was just 3 hours to go. Definitely kismet.

I am thinking of direct outs per channel which will be great for tracking so it will probably be necessary to monitor the level of/ listen to any channel - probably a solo button for that. Unfortunately it will not be possible to include balanced inserts. I could include separate line inputs and a mic/line switch on the front panel but that takes up too much room. Might be possible to fit a rear panel switch to change each mi input into a line input for mixdown. Also no reason not to add a dB25 summing card round the back for another 8 line inputs to make it into a super summer. All sorts of possibilities. Automation would be the icing on the cake. Would this make it the first automated tube mixer?

Cheers

Ian

Been thinking some more of what to do with this. I am now leaning towards making it a general purpose test bed stroke working mixer. Of late I have been using just a 3U rack system for trying out new modules and testing ones for customers. But I am always rewiring it to try different things and it does not cater for the new 7HP modules So my plan now is to make the first 4 channels at the top the new 7HP types wired as individual pres with a P&G fader and direct out. The rest of the top will remain as 4 slots of the current 14HP wide modules. The right hand slots can be twin line amps connected to the four standard buses. The two in the middle can be for testing existing 14HP modules and new ones ( compressor??), again each with a P&G fader. I will have 8 P&Gs so the remaining two can be used as bus masters. If I am going to use it for testing then I will need some decent monitoring so probably a big switch to select a meter/phones to any channel or bus. Mmmmm lots to think about.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Great project you have, as usual !

ruffrecords said:
Automation would be the icing on the cake. Would this make it the first automated tube mixer?

If you want  automation, just let me know, everything is done here, solid system  ;)

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
Hi Ian

Great project you have, as usual !

If you want  automation, just let me know, everything is done here, solid system  ;)

Best
Zam

I was at Neve when their first fader automation system, Necam, came out. I remember being amazed seeing the faders of a 40 channel consoles scrolling sine waves. Amazing! Is there a link to your system I can look at?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I was at Neve when their first fader automation system, Necam, came out. I remember being amazed seeing the faders of a 40 channel consoles scrolling sine waves. Amazing! Is there a link to your system I can look at?

Cheers

Ian

Hello Ian

Some video here:
http://cdlei.blogspot.fr/p/blog-page_26.html
Details about system here:
http://midibox.org/forums/topic/20390-midibox-89motion-fader-automation/

Automated tube mixer ? there is chance you'll be the first  8)
If you don't care about IC's in a tube mixer  :)

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
Automated tube mixer ? there is chance you'll be the first  8)
If you don't care about IC's in a tube mixer  :)

Best
Zam

As long as they are not in the signal path it is OK.

Cheers

Ian

madswitcher said:
Hi Ian

when you get the frame; if the P&Gs are the older type with the 16-way Plessey/Painton connectors on the bottom, let me know if need any help refurbishing them as I have just done 40 odd of them and have a jig set up to make the job easier.

Cheers

Mike

It turns out the P&Gs are 3220 types (see attached pic). Some of them are quite stiff so they clearly need some TLC.

p_g3220_DMSA.jpg

Cheers

Ian

Back