Cleaning Advice for SSL Power Supply Unit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigbenis27

Hi There everybody!

I'm currently in the process of fixing a broken down SSL Power Supply Unit. I have replaced several parts that were blown and now that i am hoping to actually clean the darn thing out before starting it back up again. My first question was what is the safest way to clean general gunk and corrosion out of electrical components without shorting anything out or damaging any parts? I have tried air duster and unfortunately it isn't enough to get rid of a lot of the build up.

My second question is in regards to the pictures below. Out of all of the connections and connectors inside of the large unit i have been fortunate enough to have only found three connectors that look to be corroded/fried and i was hoping to inquire what the best way to fix these would be? should I just cut the corroded/fried section of wire and install a new connector? or should i install a new wire altogether? unfortunately the two burnt connectors in the picture below are actually coming straight out of the transformer and were connected to a Bridge Rectifier that clearly fried itself. The Transformer itself looks to be fine and it is still sending power to other components in the PSU but still i need to ask should i be looking into purchasing another transformer as well?

Thank you guys for your time and help in the matter!! I greatly appreciate any advice you can give me!

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_3178.JPG
    IMG_3178.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
Pigbenis27 said:
unfortunately the two burnt connectors in the picture below are actually coming straight out of the transformer and were connected to a Bridge Rectifier that clearly fried itself. The Transformer itself looks to be fine and it is still sending power to other components in the PSU but still i need to ask should i be looking into purchasing another transformer as well?
I wouldn't assume the bridge rectifier is bad, but the terminals may not be in very good shape based on those burnt spade connectors. I have seen this in a pair of similar board power supplies.

If I were doing this, I would strip back the transformer wire until I got to where the copper was clean and bright. and if too short to reach the rectifier, do an old-fashioned electrical solder and heat shrink splice to new wire long enough to reach. And not use spade connectors, solder directly to the rect. terminals after cleaning them up well. If new connectors on new terminals didn't last, new connectors on old pitted terminals surely won't.

Gene

Right on Thank you for your input you guys that helps me quite a bit! I took the connectors off today and stripped the sleeve back and fortunately it looks like i won't have to solder anything!! Just ordering some new tips and I'll be all set! Again; I really appreciate the point in the right direction and how quickly you guys' responded!! That was a huge help! Clearly you know what's up so i did have another question for you. How do i go about cleaning all that gunk outa the PSU? I was talking with an electrician today that said Isopropyl alcohol would do just find just use small amount at a time so it doesn't pool. Does that sound about right to you guys or do you know of a better method for deep cleaning this thing? As always thanks again for your guys' help!!

Tony

Hello Pigbenis27,
I repaired and serviced quite a few SSL console power supplies.

The consoles were 4K, E series and G Series.

I can help you with advise, and I might also still have some spare parts.
Whats the console the PSU belongs to?

_____

"My first question was what is the safest way to clean general gunk and corrosion out of electrical components without shorting anything out or damaging any parts? I have tried air duster and unfortunately it isn't enough to get rid of a lot of the build up. "

First you should discharge the BIG electrolytic caps.
Then, You need a good Air Compressor, and you also need some painting brushes a big size and a smaller size will work

71vX4l%2BUINL._SL1230_.jpg

Blow Air, brush what is not coming of, Blow again, repeat if needed

You will also need Isopropyl Alcohol and a toothbrush for detailed work

"Out of all of the connections and connectors inside of the large unit i have been fortunate enough to have only found three connectors that look to be corroded/fried and i was hoping to inquire what the best way to fix these would be? should I just cut the corroded/fried section of wire and install a new connector? or should i install a new wire altogether?"

Install a complete new wire with a new connector

_________

What is the problem with the PSU? Do you have any rail working?
Do you have the schematics?

You should register also and post on the "SSL Mixed Forum" 
www.forum.sslmixed.com

It's a forum dedicated to all the SSL owners that are still maintaining their consoles, it has restoring and repair threads, a lot of experienced people there, it's a great place to post and ask some help.
Probaly there's some PSU repair threads there already

Hello Tony,
I have serviced many SSL power supplies.
My advice would be to add fuses ( if they do not still exist ) in the  + / -  20V DC rails.
It will save some copper traces from vanishing when things turn bad inside this box.... :mad: :mad:
Best,
Guy

Latest posts

Back