Low Profile (small) transformer with Turns ratio 6.5: 1 other than 3U audio?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lordward

Hi,
So, out of interest I bought (on eBay) a 6.5: 1 ration transformer from 3U Audio.  Anyone know of a Low Profile microphone transformer other than the one from 3U audio?  Since it was so small I thought I could turn a mic, like a T.bone SCT 700, into a U47-ish mic.  The mic sounds actually pretty good but I'm sure the weakest link is this transformer I have in it.  I need an alternative in small.  Don't know if this even exists. Any suggestions??

Thanx!
DW

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 95
I suppose something like the Neutrik NTE10/3 wouldn't cut the mustard, would it?

Also, i'm ever so slightly curious how exactly you determined the transformer is, as you put it, "the weak link"...

Khron said:
I suppose something like the Neutrik NTE10/3 wouldn't cut the mustard, would it?

Also, i'm ever so slightly curious how exactly you determined the transformer is, as you put it, "the weak link"...

Thanks for the tip!  I'll check it out.  I'm convinced that it's the weak link simply because I've built the same mic in a larger body with an AMI transformer and it sounds a bit better.

"Better" meaning...? :)

(Disclaimer: not trying to be aggravating or anything, but confirmation bias can be a powerful force ;) And i'm sure oh-so-much hype and money revolves around that, especially in the world of audio...)

Khron said:
"Better" meaning...? :)

(Disclaimer: not trying to be aggravating or anything, but confirmation bias can be a powerful force ;) And i'm sure oh-so-much hype and money revolves around that, especially in the world of audio...)

Bigger and more open.....

Lordward said:
Thanks for the tip!  I'll check it out.  I'm convinced that it's the weak link simply because I've built the same mic in a larger body with an AMI transformer and it sounds a bit better.

I've noticed that this Neutrik has a ratio of 1:3:10 .  And for $11 I can't believe that it could be any better than what I've got....

If you use the secondary between the ":3" and the ":10" end, that gives you a 1:7 ratio.

"Bigger" = more low end, "more open" = more top end? That's the trouble with terms like these in audio, they easily mean different things to different people...

Just sayin'... :)
https://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?t=717
https://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?t=1215
https://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?t=1845
https://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?t=3476

Khron said:
If you use the secondary between the ":3" and the ":10" end, that gives you a 1:7 ratio.

"Bigger" = more low end, "more open" = more top end? That's the trouble with terms like these in audio, they easily mean different things to different people...

And that's why we use simple terms like "better".... Just sayin :)

And by "simple" you mean "(more or less) meaningless to anyone but you"? ;D

Hint: that's exactly what the section in the third link / timestamp in my previous post addresses.

Khron said:
And by "simple" you mean "(more or less) meaningless to anyone but you"? ;D

Hint: that's exactly what the section in the third link / timestamp in my previous post addresses.
uhhhhggg.... Yeah. Thanks.
Anyone else?

FAB microphones has a small BV08(2x3x3cm approx) with the required turns ratio, I have the prototype, it is pretty good(especially for the price)

Also you might try another one of Oliver's designs T8, specifically designed for applications just as yours.

-dmax

I will agree with Khron here. Plus, i have already built a Fet847 with the Neutrik one and i am pretty happy with its performance. Now i m going to built a second one with the 3U audio one, as i had components ordered for two and these two transfos too. I will post my experience for the 3U one, but i dont think it could make a big diference at all.

I think we could produce a small 6:1 mic output transformer like this if there is demand. It would be a single-bobbin format, rather than dual.

Stewart

zaraxisof said:
I will agree with Khron here. Plus, i have already built a Fet847 with the Neutrik one and i am pretty happy with its performance. Now i m going to built a second one with the 3U audio one, as i had components ordered for two and these two transfos too. I will post my experience for the 3U one, but i dont think it could make a big diference at all.

I feel transformers make a big difference.  Maybe the Neutrik and the 3Audio are not so far apart, this might be true...But I want "better". :)

TLRT said:
FAB microphones has a small BV08(2x3x3cm approx) with the required turns ratio, I have the prototype, it is pretty good(especially for the price)

Thanks for this, FAB is a great idea!  I wan't aware that they made low profile parts.  I've made a FET47 and a 47 EF800 using a FAB transformer.  Results were fantastic!

zebra50 said:
I think we could produce a small 6:1 mic output transformer like this if there is demand. It would be a single-bobbin format, rather than dual.

Stewart

Ok, what would something like this cost?

I'll have to build one and test it before we start talking about prices, but our ribbon mic transformers are all around the £50 mark.

Latest posts

Back