Brewery politics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, back to the original topic of political threads ruining the forum, with the Trump administration moving to end net neutrality, maybe it won't be such a big deal. Your internet connection to a site like this will be so throttled you won't even bother coming.

This ending of neutrality on the internet does sound like plan to only carry stories favorable to the regime ,

https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/status/932603416668405760

https://twitter.com/bessbell/status/933022293164548096

Attachments

• your internet bill z.JPG
    your internet bill z.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 10
Ron Paul has some questions.

We are told that US foreign policy should reflect American values. So how can Washington support Saudi Arabia – a tyrannical state with one of the worst human rights record on earth – as it commits by what any measure is a genocide against the Yemeni people? The UN undersecretary-general for humanitarian affairs warned just last week that Yemen faces "the largest famine the world has seen for many decades with millions of victims." The Red Cross has just estimated that a million people are vulnerable in the cholera epidemic that rages through Yemen.

And why is there a cholera epidemic? Because the Saudi government – with US support – has blocked every port of entry to prevent critical medicine from reaching suffering Yemenis. This is not a war. It is cruel murder.

The United States is backing Saudi aggression against Yemen by cooperating in every way with the Saudi military. Targeting, intelligence, weapons sales, and more. The US is a partner in Saudi Arabia’s Yemen crimes.

Does holding hands with Saudi Arabia as it slaughters Yemeni children really reflect American values? Is anyone even paying attention?

The claim that we are fighting al-Qaeda in Yemen and thus our involvement is covered under the post-9/11 authorization for the use of force is without merit. In fact it has been reported numerous times in the mainstream media that US intervention on behalf of the Saudis in Yemen is actually a boost to al-Qaeda in the country. Al-Qaeda is at war with the Houthis who had taken control of much of the country because the Houthis practice a form of Shi’a Islam they claim is tied to Iran. We are fighting on the same side as al-Qaeda in Yemen.

Adding insult to injury, the US Congress can’t be bothered to even question how we got so involved in a war that has nothing to do with us. A few conscientious Members of Congress got together recently to introduce a special motion under the 1973 War Powers Act that would have required a vote on our continued military involvement in the Yemen genocide. The leadership of both parties joined together to destroy this attempt to at least get a vote on US aggression against Yemen. As it turns out, the only Members to vote against this shamefully gutted resolution were the original Members who introduced it. This is bipartisanship at its worst.

US involvement in Saudi Arabia’s crimes against Yemen is a national disgrace. That the mainstream media fails to accurately cover this genocide is shameful. Let us join our voices now to demand that our US Representatives end US involvement in Yemen immediately!

http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2017/november/20/why-are-we-helping-saudi-arabia-destroy-yemen/

Hi All,

Settling down to watch Star Trek Discovery last night on Netflixs (which has now finished its season  :-[ ) I came across a documentary 'Saving Capitalism' by Professor, Robert Reich.  Which I found very interesting and would I reccommend you to watch if you can.

Fundamentaly is states that since the 1960s, the prosperity of the American corprations has led to excessive amounts of money going 'upwards  to the directors and owners with the effective wages of employees going down.  The money buys power, and in conjunction with the rise of the lobbyists, (of which it states that 50% are ex senators) the corporations exert influence to their advantage and to the great detriment of American society including significant tax breaks for directors salaries.    The whole cycle being one of self-fulfilling greed. 

Consequently, there are no such things as a 'free market' or politicians: they are just lackies to big business.

Have a watch if you can or read the book which is now on my Christmas list.

Cheers

Mike

https://twitter.com/bessbell/status/933022293164548096
She a friend of yours Tands ? She looks like a fine spirited filly ;)

Rupert Murdoch and Sky Tv's latest deal here is 25 euros a month ,all you can eat bullsh1t fake news,ads and non neutral internet. They even throw in a 32 inch screen to sweeten the deal so they can more effectively bore a hole in your subconcious mind and fill it up with excrement.

Hi Mike,
I'll definately have a look at that ,it all sounds like a never ending game of wheel of fortune where the rich get richer and the poor die .

madswitcher said:
Hi All,

Settling down to watch Star Trek Discovery last night on Netflixs (which has now finished its season  :-[ ) I came across a documentary 'Saving Capitalism' by Professor, Robert Reich.  Which I found very interesting and would I reccommend you to watch if you can.

Fundamentaly is states that since the 1960s, the prosperity of the American corprations has led to excessive amounts of money going 'upwards  to the directors and owners with the effective wages of employees going down.  The money buys power, and in conjunction with the rise of the lobbyists, (of which it states that 50% are ex senators) the corporations exert influence to their advantage and to the great detriment of American society including significant tax breaks for directors salaries.    The whole cycle being one of self-fulfilling greed. 

Consequently, there are no such things as a 'free market' or politicians: they are just lackies to big business.

Have a watch if you can or read the book which is now on my Christmas list.

Cheers

Mike
Robert Reich is a well know spokesman for liberal progressive economic policy. He was President Bill Clinton's Labor secretary.  Now he seems an active member of the resistance (whatever that is).

JR

tands said:
Evil powers won the world, John, and the US is the biggest one. Hello, this is what it looks like.

Venezuela voted a month ago to keep Maduro, 18 out of 23 provinces. What was that you were saying about being against regime change, but in favor of elections? How many votes do you get in their elections, John?
Even Pres Jimmy Carter who routinely rubber stamps questionable elections came out against that one.

I feel free ignoring 'some estimates' when I can open up the internet today and see that capitalists killed 50,000 yemeni children this year.
Just saw a report that Iran is counterfeiting Yemeni currency....  not sure if that is anything but criminal.

JR

That sure sounds criminal, John, and your concern over their monetary system is very admirable.

Ahhaha ,get in there my son  :p,
Dave P might offer to translate the above phrase into Americanese if your nice to him .

Most states are like Texas in that they allow for employers to terminate workers for nearly any reason, with a few exceptions: a termination which violates any civil rights statutes, a termination that comes about as a result of specific kinds of whistleblowing, refusing to take part in a criminal act, a termination that violates an employment contract, and a termination that is the result of harassment and abuse. This is called at-will employment, and it provides cover to a myriad of sins.

The only counterweight to this is unionization, where almost every union contract contains a clause for the employer to show just cause for termination. However, even this has been restrained through anti-worker laws, with the foremost amongst them being the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947. This piece of ostensibly anti-communist legislation, with bans of Communist Party USA members holding office in unions, would become a core fetter on constraining worker power by banning secondary boycotts and excluding supervisors and foremen from collectively bargaining with other employees. Probably the most discussed aspect of Taft-Hartley is the “right to work” portion, but that is only part of a mosaic of law designed to undermine and constrain union power in the United States.

All of this precarity and uncertainty is particularly acute in retail work, where what union power existed has been flensed away to almost nothing, leaving workers with fewer bargaining rights for things like higher wages and little to no ability to challenge their terminations. Things like predictable scheduling and wage theft are constant problems as well, with all the power concentrated in the hands of the bosses. The only option for workers, should they be cleared by the EEOC, is to sue their employer.

It was certainly the only route left to my father when faced with a brutally racist bigot for a boss. He had no union that had his back, no one to stand in solidarity with him. And there was certainly no guarantee that he would win, or walk away with enough to make ends meet. The process itself is hard on everyone, and it’s especially hard on older and less able-bodied workers, and I saw it wear him down as the process dragged.

Suffice it to say that my father’s lawsuit meandered, as most lawsuits of this nature tend to do, and there was mediation during which a settlement was reached. The lawyers took their cut, one of the men was forced to leave the country after it was made plain as day that he would not find work. Without even a paltry income for support, and with elderly parents to support, it became clear that he and his family would be better off somewhere else. There was no great financial win, and no one retired in a large house without a worry or care.

My father, who is now on disability, continues to suffer from the debilitating effects of working almost non-stop for over a decade for a company that treated workers as many companies do—as expendable commodities that deserve no humanity, let alone a living wage and quality healthcare. The plates in his neck, the scar from his spine being fused together, and his constant pain from it are evidence of my father’s commitment to our family and the ingratitude of his employers.

While his case managed to make the news and saw some success, there are countless others who file complaints with the EEOC in hopes that their terminations will met with a modicum of justice they will not find. This is thanks in part to the unshakeable hatred of Arabs and Muslims that still permeates this country a decade and a half into imperial wars. This is a hatred that I live with the consequences of every day, and I am sure my sisters live with it as well. But mainly, other Arab Muslims will struggle to find justice because the deck is stacked against working people like my family.

Only by rebuilding working-class organizations can we hold the bosses to account for their hatreds and bigotries, and then maybe men like my dad can be treated with the dignity they deserve.

https://thesouthlawn.org/2017/11/20/class-struggle-with-a-stack-of-pancakes/

Attachments

• long live the new flesh.jpg
    long live the new flesh.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back