Recommend capsule for Oktava MK-219

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
Hi,
I bought an used Oktava mk-219. The previous owner replaced the original capsule for what it looks a cheap chinese one.
I don't like the sound and would like to change the capsule for something better/different.

What good capsules would you guys recommend that would work well in this circuit?

thank you

By the way if anyone has an original MK-219 capsule that could sell me, please let me know

Try contact Oktava first for replacement - worth.
Headasket is pretty nasty, many capsules doesn't work nice here, especially caps with bumped mdrange like k47 and m7 type.
Also there's huge probem with circuit - and Dorsey mod isn't enough.
I assume that rather this is about budget capsule? I think there would be a huge waste putting inside something better and more expensive.
You could try edge terminated chinese capsules and Rode edge terminated also should work pretty good.
From what i remember, you have NT1000 - maybe would be worth to put something better inside NT1000 (like M7) and use of its original capsule in Oktava?

On Monday I'll try to find out if there are any capsules for MK219 available in production, which I very much doubt. I live in Tula, where the Oktava is and I know the chief engineer..
Whoops, your inbox is full.

korneev said:
On Monday I'll try to find out if there are any capsules for MK219 available in production, which I very much doubt. I live in Tula, where the Oktava is and I know the chief engineer..
Whoops, your inbox is full.

Hi, thank you so much for that.
Maybe they still have some old stock, or spares . I would actually prefer to have the original capsule.
Although if I can't find any I would go for a good capsule that might work in this circuit.

let me know something, thank you

Whoops said:
Hi, thank you so much for that.
Maybe they still have some old stock, or spares . I would actually prefer to have the original capsule.
Although if I can't find any I would go for a good capsule that might work in this circuit.
let me know something, thank you
I have the NOS, but not the capsule, the microphone MK18 with the original PSU, which is the predecessor of the MK219.

Good afternoon! Information on the possibility of purchasing a capsule for MK219 and its price will be only towards the end of this week.

Good afternoon! Unfortunately, due to overhaul at the Oktava plant, production is almost stopped. This will last at least until mid-November, after which it will be possible to agree on the manufacture of a new capsule for you.

Hi thank you so much, no worries

actually I could use another capsule in this microphone,
there are plenty of K47, M7 and CK12 capsules available.

Which of these models do you thing will make a good match with the MK219 circuit?

Good afternoon! When choosing a replacement capsule, it should be remembered that in microphones with phantom power, the polarization voltage of the capsule is approximately 45 volts. The types of capsules you are talking about were designed for tube microphones and have a polarization voltage of about 60 volts.

The capsule bias voltage is in the 40v range, in phantom-powered mics that don't have any sort of DC-DC converter, you mean ;) (which the Oktavas don't)

Thank you all for the info.

So what capsules with bias voltage in the 40-45V range  do you recommend?
what are the options available in the market in in DIY?

I thought the 219 capsule was based on the k67? Plenty of those around, should be many options.

Always felt the 319 was a much better mic. Don't know if the basket shape or the capsule/circuit is responsible. Possibly both.

Last time i asked, Oktava wanted 150eur+shipping for a new capsule. I think that is bit too much. Plenty of avesome capsules for that kind of money. If that changed i might be interrested in one. I love Oktavas on kick drum (out mic). No other capsule sounds like it. Ribbon like condenser.

MagnetoSound said:
I thought the 219 capsule was based on the k67? Plenty of those around, should be many options.

Shouldn't be as the K67 is designed to be polarized with 60V

I following the advice given by members in this thread that I need a capsule designed to be polarized around 40-45V

Thanks

kingkorg said:
Last time i asked, Oktava wanted 150eur+shipping for a new capsule. I think that is bit too much.

Plenty of avesome capsules for that kind of money.

That's what I need help for, what capsules around would you recommend for the MK-219 mic?

thanks

The U87 (non A) polarises the same basic capsule at 47v.

Whoops said:
Shouldn't be as the K67 is designed to be polarized with 60V

I following the advice given by members in this thread that I need a capsule designed to be polarized around 40-45V

Thanks

MagnetoSound said:
The U87 (non A) polarises the same basic capsule at 47v.

"Neumann developed the K67 capsule with a HF peak to provide the pre-emphasis portion of a noise reduction circuit (which would be de-emphasized at the output stage of the mic)."

Not the best match for the MK-219

Whoops said:
That's what I need help for, what capsules around would you recommend for the MK-219 mic?

thanks

For cheap, this one worked great in my 319.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262836747250

Back