question everything

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
First I am sorry to disappoint everybody who is expecting yet another political diatribe, I really do not enjoy wrestling in the proverbial mud. Instead I have a little  personal epiphany to share about the human condition. We have been wired by our caveman genome to be decisive and intuitive when making decisions so our minds are free to be alert to other external dangers.

I figured out quite by chance a couple months ago that we should reinvestigate many decisions that we made casually some time ago and just took for granted that we had made optimal choices. (bzzzt wrongo).

#1 One obvious example was me getting a sore back from my big dog zero turn lawn mower, I was getting a sore back from the strain caused by going over bumps in the yard... the 25HP mower moves along quite smartly.  I even bought a kidney belt to try to support my back better while mowing, before I figured one critical decisions that I didn't make (over a year ago).  ::) The seat was adjustable and it came from the dealer set all the way back, so I was pulled leaning forward in an awkward position while driving the mower, until I adjusted the seat properly for my frame. Since then zero back pain.  8)

Obvious after you figure these things out, but life (my life) is full of many such decisions that I did not inspect carefully enough.

There are more.....Perhaps a personal problem.  :eek:  Just in case it isn't I hope I can encourage you all to reinspect your routine decisions that may not be optimal. Sometimes simple adjustments can pay larger dividends.  8)

JR

OK #2

Just last week I was painting my house... For the record I hate painting and I hate climbing ladders, but I hate paying people to do rote labor even more (I am cheap).

I had some drama buying a new 8' ladder (a long story maybe for later) and I got a first coat over the front and back of my house that I could reach, but the sides required more height.  :-\  Did I mention I hate ladders and hate painting?

The epiphany about this is instead of climbing a ladder why not attach a brush to a long handle and stand safely on the ground. It worked with a brush cable tied to a handle. The good thing about living in the 21st century is that pretty much any good idea  I can come up with***, somebody else has already had and reduced to a product...  I have a 12' extension handle on order... problem solved.    8)

JR

*** sometimes this can be used to vet ideas as perhaps not that great...  My great idea  ::) to repurpose peltier cooling devices for a countertop cooker (that would cool my kitchen while heating food),  actually had been patented but not reduced to a commercial product... After dropping a few hundred dollars on parts and a bunch of hours on my own prototype version I now know why it wasn't commercialized. It doesn't work all that well.

> I adjusted the seat properly for my frame. Since then zero back pain.

That revelation came to me in my teens. I not only adjust, I re-adjust often. Glad you didn't have to learn this sooner.

Every(?) paint-roller handle is threaded for a broom-handle for extra reach. True, cheap brooms no longer have thread-on handles, but you can buy the stick in the paint aisle. Clapboard doesn't roller well, but I'm sure you have a plan. Note that levering a long stick over your head strains arm back and neck-- don't do it all in one session.

And sometimes Glen The Painter IS the answer. My taller house, I would not think of painting above my head (it goes a lot further up). Glen has the ladders all organized for such work.

PRR said:

And sometimes Glen The Painter IS the answer.

You could always pay someone just to do the parts you can't or don't want to do for whatever reason.....  or pull the neighbor card....

So, what are you guys saying?????? That, when the spring chicken isn't any more, things like improper adjustment will come back to haunt you or, improper adjustment is  just more obvious as you get wiser???? :D

I used to have a sit-down job doing phone tech support  ::)

At one point my lower back started hurting me excruciatingly. It was so bad I couldn't move at times.

My father, an EE and a brilliant man, told me I should adjust my chair up, or down, 1-2 inches. I laughed at him, but the next day I did.

The back pain went away immediately. I'll never forget that.

"Small moves, Ellie. Small moves"

On a random note, I did a corporate event for Big Dog mowers a while back here in Nashville. If I had the need, I'd get one.

The event had a motivational speaker. Did a sound check with him wearing a suit and tie with a lapel mic. It didn't sound great but it worked fine. Then at the last minute he decided that the tie looked too stuffy for the audience (Big Dog mower dealers), took off his tie and jacket and put the lapel on his shirt collar very far from where it was tested earlier. This was done right before he went on stage. It was not good, one of those moments when I question my abilities even though there is nothing I can do except renew my appreciation of physics. Everything else was great.

There was also an Elvis cover band.

Good to know there are 12' paint roller extensions. I also hate painting and am cheap. During the home remodel I got to see "contractor grade" workmanship up close, so I can't bring myself to pay a bunch of money for work I don't trust. If I ever paint the outside (older brick ranch home), I'll look for one of those long extensions.

Thanks!

Paul

JohnRoberts said:
The good thing about living in the 21st century is that pretty much any good idea  I can come up with***, somebody else has already had and reduced to a product... 

I'm with you here. Lately I've been checking ebay more often for things I would have tried making myself a short time ago. Often my wife tells me to "just buy one" and I don't let on to how brilliant I think she is in that moment.

Recently it was a cat door between the kitchen and the back room. Let the cat go in and out but not the dog. I built one myself and was very proud of it, and proud of the cat because it only swung one way and she figured out how to "claw it" open from one side and push through from the other.

Then disaster... One night she clawed it open and as she squeezed through, her foot got pinned between the floor and the bottom of the wood cat door. The harder she pulled the tighter it grabbed and she started screaming, which put the pitbull into full kill mode, witch in turn put the trapped cat into full kill mode. So after a lot of blood (cat lost a claw in the dogs nose and bit me a couple times) I was able to unscrew the cat door from the other side and free the cat. Had to run out the back door and in the front.

"I told you to buy this!!!!" my wife screamed at me pointing to a $25 cat door on the computer screen. It had a magnet that kept it closed, swung BOTH WAYS and had a little switch that you can lock it with.

So I give up, tying to make things for the house to save a couple bucks. Everything is on Amazon and eBay.

PRR said:

That revelation came to me in my teens. I not only adjust, I re-adjust often. Glad you didn't have to learn this sooner.
What I didn't realize until a year later was that the seat was adjustable.  :-[ (it's a lawnmower)

Ergonomic factors (like seat height) are important for avoiding carpal tunnel when spending too much time on computers, like developing software.
Every(?) paint-roller handle is threaded for a broom-handle for extra reach. True, cheap brooms no longer have thread-on handles, but you can buy the stick in the paint aisle. Clapboard doesn't roller well, but I'm sure you have a plan. Note that levering a long stick over your head strains arm back and neck-- don't do it all in one session.
I bought a 9" roller and 4' extension handle last week with my grocery shopping. I was able to paint halfway up the tall side of my house with the short extension handle. I was impressed with how fast the 9" roller covers (and consumes paint) compared to a 3 1/2" brush.

The roller is less than optimal for tight corner details and contours where the board courses meet. I found a screw-on adapter that can clamp in a regular paint brush, and some square pads for edging.  (on order  ).
And sometimes Glen The Painter IS the answer. My taller house, I would not think of painting above my head (it goes a lot further up). Glen has the ladders all organized for such work.
I paid Glen to throw a coat on the house 20 odd years ago, and he did it so thin I can see the original paint under that now.  Hope I didn't swallow too many old yellow paint chips while scraping the walls.  ::) (note the paint scraper does not screw on, so cable ties to hold that on a pole). 

[edit- I found a paint scraper with a threaded handle... not cheap but better than cable ties [/edit]

JR

Potato Cakes said:
On a random note, I did a corporate event for Big Dog mowers a while back here in Nashville. If I had the need, I'd get one.

The event had a motivational speaker. Did a sound check with him wearing a suit and tie with a lapel mic. It didn't sound great but it worked fine. Then at the last minute he decided that the tie looked too stuffy for the audience (Big Dog mower dealers), took off his tie and jacket and put the lapel on his shirt collar very far from where it was tested earlier. This was done right before he went on stage. It was not good, one of those moments when I question my abilities even though there is nothing I can do except renew my appreciation of physics. Everything else was great.

There was also an Elvis cover band.

Good to know there are 12' paint roller extensions. I also hate painting and am cheap. During the home remodel I got to see "contractor grade" workmanship up close, so I can't bring myself to pay a bunch of money for work I don't trust. If I ever paint the outside (older brick ranch home), I'll look for one of those long extensions.

Thanks!

Paul
While searching the www I think I saw a 16' extension, but it was too expensive for me to bite.  I expect the 12' to work for me.  The 12' is adjustable between 6'-12'. 

JR

scott2000 said:
You could always pay someone just to do the parts you can't or don't want to do for whatever reason.....  or pull the neighbor card....
neighbor card? In my neighborhood, I'm one of the young guys,  ::) All my immediate neighbors are same age or older (one is 20 years older).
So, what are you guys saying?????? That, when the spring chicken isn't any more, things like improper adjustment will come back to haunt you or, improper adjustment is  just more obvious as you get wiser???? :D

Best bang for the buck is making free adjustments.

JR

Hi John,

I think that we may be of a 'certain' age group where the brain has greater expecations than the body can deliver, but like yourself, I cringe at the cost of small 'outsourced' jobs.  So I have started a 'trade' for some tasks - "You fix my gutters and I'll look at your stereo for you".  It doesn't always work, but its worth a try :)

Mike

I have already generated a positive barter balance by fixing things for my neighbors, but my 89 YO neighbor doesn't climb ladders anymore.  :eek: In fact I beg them to not brag about me being able to fix their stuff or I'd have too many new friends. The lady working in the post office wanted me to fix  her neighbor's bicycle but i nipped that in the bud.

=======

Back on topic, by "question everything", that includes questioning conventional wisdom or advice... here are two from that category.

I have a bad knee, arthritic from an old motorcycle injury (backfired through kickstarter), and decades of jogging eroded what cartilage was left. 

#3  common advice for bad knees is to wear a knee brace (if you believe bogus TV commercials they need copper in them.  ::) ) . I started out with a fancy brace with adjustable tightening straps and rigid metal hinges... eventually I started wearing a cheaper soft elastic brace. Wearing the knee brace for hours of yard work could cut off blood flow if too tight and didn't stop the knee from getting sore/irritated.

Recently in light of my "question everything" theme,  I questioned wearing the knee brace...  Not only did my knee not hurt from not using the brace but it actually felt better.  My observation is that I tend to walk with my right foot toed out at about a 15' angle to not engage the part of the knee where the cartilage damage is. The knee brace apparently forces a normal alignment that for my knee irritates it more.

-------

#4 Standard advice for bicycle setup is to adjust the seat height so the leg is almost fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke.. They even warn of knee pain if the seat is not set high enough....  I found from experimentation that setting my seat as low as it will go, bothers my knee the least.  I still ice my knee after rides, but lower is better, the exact opposite of every bike-boy advice website.

Question everything...

JR

> What I didn't realize until a year later was that the seat was adjustable.  :-[ (it's a lawnmower)

Basically all sit-down lawnmowers have seat slides. People come in too many sizes.

I "need" to adjust mine to work the brake/clutch firmly. I gather the zero mowers don't have that. I could almost see not needing adjustment-- except I assume you brace your body with feet. So seat-footboard distance is critical. And if my $1K mowers can afford sliders, those many-$K mowers can.

But you do need to both RTFM and listen to your body.

I have two PC mouse platforms and switch arm-heights occasionally.

I do agree that "leg is almost fully extended" is not always best. A couple inches lower may be better for most riders. I did believe that stuff in my youth, and I have to keep fighting habit and put my seat lower than I was taught. It is certainly possible (on shorter frames) to have a seat too low. This is bad leverage and knee-strain from too acute angle at TDC. But near-straight at BDC is also extreme.

I had a recurring injury on the outside of the my left knee (IT band) from exercising that I started wearing a knee brace for a few years ago. The brace would help to the extent that I could keep exercising with the injury but it didn't fix it of course.  I learned from PT that my left leg is about 1/2" shorter than my right so running throws off the alignment.  I got a 1/4" shoe insert that pretty much resolved the problem.

One of the joys of life is discovering a simple answer to a problem.

PRR said:
> What I didn't realize until a year later was that the seat was adjustable.  :-[ (it's a lawnmower)

Basically all sit-down lawnmowers have seat slides. People come in too many sizes.
you made me look... yes old snapper had adjustment thumb screws under the seat... never touched by me.  ::)
I "need" to adjust mine to work the brake/clutch firmly. I gather the zero mowers don't have that. I could almost see not needing adjustment-- except I assume you brace your body with feet. So seat-footboard distance is critical. And if my $1K mowers can afford sliders, those many-$K mowers can.
zero turn don't need brakes or clutch.  I had no trouble operating the steering levers, but was forced to lean forward that caused added stress to my back when going over bumps.
But you do need to both RTFM and listen to your body.
indeed
I have two PC mouse platforms and switch arm-heights occasionally.

I do agree that "leg is almost fully extended" is not always best. A couple inches lower may be better for most riders. I did believe that stuff in my youth, and I have to keep fighting habit and put my seat lower than I was taught. It is certainly possible (on shorter frames) to have a seat too low. This is bad leverage and knee-strain from too acute angle at TDC. But near-straight at BDC is also extreme.
I need to repeat, the seat height that works for my knee is probably wrong for the average rider.... and goes against common wisdom.

Same goes for not wearing the knee brace, the brace forced a proper alignment for my knee joint that is normally a good thing, but in my knee more engaged the injured cartilage causing irritation and inflammation.

The wider point I am making is listen to general advice, but don't be afraid to experiment if your situation is different.

JR

Well my 12' pole for painting my house arrived today.... Maybe I can use it to touch some of the political posts I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.  8)

nah...

JR

PS: I noticed this "heavy duty" pole is heavier than I would like... I see lighter poles for 3x the price... lets see how heavy it feels in use.

JohnRoberts said:
Well my 12' pole for painting my house arrived today.... Maybe I can use it to touch some of the political posts I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.  8)

nah...

JR

PS: I noticed this "heavy duty" pole is heavier than I would like... I see lighter poles for 3x the price... lets see how heavy it feels in use.

Just take your time......I'm sure you already knew this but.......Getting the paint on the roller is easier if you just unscrew roller from pole, load the roller, then screw it back to the pole....The heavier pole will make it more controllable up high and allow you to push into the surface more....Also, a thicker roller nap....3/4" or even a 1" will help it get into the nooks and crannies better....could do siding up and down really.......If you're ok with the texture it leaves behind..... Being up tall you'll never notice..plus it levels out if you are fast enough.....watch for runs........ But the flashing of the overlaps you will notice once dry if you don't move quick enough.....Best to do it first thing in the AM before sun hits...start on side where sun will hit first.....stay in front of the sun.........and ..If you paint too far into the evening you run the risk of the surfactants leaching out over night from dew/moisture setting in before paint has time to set up...... So stopping no later than 4 will minimize that potential....

Good luck!

PRR said:
.....And sometimes Glen The Painter IS the answer......

Can I have his number?

I am not joking.

We can not get any tradesman.

The ones came in to look for the job did not even bother giving us a quote. Did not bother returning our phone calls. I got fed up and last month I painted all the windows in the living room and bedroom. We are on 3rd floor. Nine  windows in total. About 1.6m tall. Sanded them all down, primed and the final coat. Took me two days. We are set for another five years.

scott2000 said:
Just take your time......I'm sure you already knew this but.......Getting the paint on the roller is easier if you just unscrew roller from pole, load the roller, then screw it back to the pole....
with the 4' pole I could easily load paint with the roller screwed on.. the 12' pole adjusts down to 6' so should be manageable the same way.
The heavier pole will make it more controllable up high and allow you to push into the surface more....Also, a thicker roller nap....3/4" or even a 1" will help it get into the nooks and crannies better....
already have thick nap for better engagement on my 9" roller... trouble getting into small dato on the wall boards.  My smaller 4" roller arrived yesterday and it fits nicely into the narrower dato part... so shorter and thinner roller.
could do siding up and down really.......If you're ok with the texture it leaves behind..... Being up tall you'll never notice..plus it levels out if you are fast enough.....watch for runs........
modern paint is pretty good about not running and sticking on the roller. Not like I remember from painting 50 years ago,
But the flashing of the overlaps you will notice once dry if you don't move quick enough.....Best to do it first thing in the AM before sun hits...start on side where sun will hit first.....stay in front of the sun.........and ..If you paint too far into the evening you run the risk of the surfactants leaching out over night from dew/moisture setting in before paint has time to set up...... So stopping no later than 4 will minimize that potential....

Good luck!
With the primer I went over some parts 2x or 3x because the wood was thirsty and primer thin.

I am not in a huge hurry  but with the rollers and poles I am close to getting first coat of primer on whole house...  It really looks good (from a distance) being one color again.  8)  Weather is still in the mid-hi 80s so OK to keep painting for a while.  Overnights have been as low as 50's and yes we got humidity here too.

JR

sahib said:
We can not get any tradesman.

You need to be looking for Craftsmen......

They come in all sizes and trades....

Best place to find them most likely  is on the relevant Pro forums to the trade you are interested in hiring for..... They get all into their craft.....And most of them have their locations posted so, you may even get lucky and find one near you or ask......

Latest posts

Back