OC Vocal Stressor CLX Compressor (ADR Compex w/opamp) Project Interest?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iampoor1

Hi All

I have owned an OC Vocal Stressor for many years, and it is one of my favorite compressors. I use many the compressor, even tho the EQ is nice, and would like more then 1.

I am curious if there would be any interest in PC Boards for this project if I made a batch? I need to do some reverse engineering and still design it, but I would like to give back to the community and help bring back a pretty hard to find piece that has been out of production for many years. I think many will find it useful. Its a very affordable build, and sounds fantastic. Also, if you may be interested, but dont know what on earth this piece of gear is, let me know and I can run some audio files and make a demo of mine.

And if you dont believe the ADR comparison...well...look at this picture... ;)

Attachments

• 22424427_10208044748436073_8681497752526770986_o.jpg
    22424427_10208044748436073_8681497752526770986_o.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 94
ilfungo said:
YESSSS!!!

pachi2007 said:
That would be awsome!!!!
dbonin said:
I'm in!!

Thanks,
Don

Would you guys be interested in a stereo version? I am thinking of doing each channel on a seperate board with a stereolink option. :)

Recording Engineer said:
I must admit I'd rather this than the original unit!😀

Well maybe we can make that happen.  ;D

+1 stereo link

It also would be great  pots/switches pcb connected by a ribbon/molex to main pcb.
Neat wiring, easier build and repair I think.
I think the hardest thing here for me would be the  calibration of the dynamics section.
I don´t know if I could get it right with my limited skills.
I followed AML project and I thought it was too difficult for me.  :-\

I think this is an amazing comp/eq for agressive drums and bass.
Expander+comp+eq on drums= ;D

pachi2007 said:
+1 stereo link

It also would be great  pots/switches pcb connected by a ribbon/molex to main pcb.
Neat wiring, easier build and repair I think.
I think the hardest thing here for me would be the  calibration of the dynamics section.
I don´t know if I could get it right with my limited skills.
I followed AML project and I thought it was too difficult for me.  :-\

I think this is an amazing comp/eq for agressive drums and bass.
Expander+comp+eq on drums= ;D

Great ideas, I was thinking the same thing. That will also allow for different Front Panel configurations.

As far as calibrating it goes, we will see. In the worst case, I can calibrate the boards for you, if you want to stuff them (Or I could do that too, but it wouldnt be much of a DIY project then.)  ;D

Yes, you got that right! Amazing compressor for aggressive drums. :)

madreza said:
If it's the same schematic than the 760 ... I already have drawn the A , B , and C cards if it can help :)

Hello
The cards are completely different in this one. If you have an eagle file with those schematics, I would love to see it tho, I still need to build a single channel stereo compex pair.  ;D

This compressor eq use opamp  instead of discrete for I/0 .  The limiter is discrete but mine has no transformer.  It's active balance.  The pwr  uses 24 volt for descrete and +/- 15 for opamp.  Boards are stacked and difficult to pull apart to work on while powered.  I would think a 500 series would be nice but crowded to implement .  I like the sound of the discrete adr vocal stressor eq better for top end boost.  It always sounded better on vocals compared to OC eq.  But on drums the OC may be more practical .  Maybe modern opamp would help.  ADR eq is simpler and has no Q adjust but could be easily done in 500 with 24 volt.  The knob density would make this better as its own build an using active balance chips would simplify this build.  Could be quite good.  The meter ballistics are great on seeing what's going on. This could be  Led to keep cost down. 

Latest posts

Back