Dynaudio Audience 40

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

Just picked up a pair of audience 40's, 15w-75 bass unit ,D-260 tweeter .
The previous owner went to the trouble of replacing the vinyl wood effect wrap with real cherry wood veneer, made a nice job of it too.
I have a couple of active crossovers to hand BSS FDS-355 digital and FDS-360 analog. Hafler Xl-600 with high level passive xovers is another option .I have two sets of Behringer truth monitors which I might repurpose for frequencies below around 250-300hz . I was thinking maybe a simple high pass rc network in front of the Hafler ,and housing an upgraded version of the Audience 40's own xovers in external metal enclosures(skytec stp-1) just so I can keep the signal path to an absolute minimum.
Arguments for or against, comments or criticisms welcome.

Tubetec said:
Just picked up a pair of audience 40's, 15w-75 bass unit ,D-260 tweeter .
The previous owner went to the trouble of replacing the vinyl wood effect wrap with real cherry wood veneer, made a nice job of it too.
I have a couple of active crossovers to hand BSS FDS-355 digital and FDS-360 analog. Hafler Xl-600 with high level passive xovers is another option .I have two sets of Behringer truth monitors which I might repurpose for frequencies below around 250-300hz . I was thinking maybe a simple high pass rc network in front of the Hafler ,and housing an upgraded version of the Audience 40's own xovers in external metal enclosures(skytec stp-1) just so I can keep the signal path to an absolute minimum.
Arguments for or against, comments or criticisms welcome.
Minimum component count in the signal path is rarely a good design basis.  It takes what it takes. The best x-overs are consistently in higher-orders than what a bunch of caps and res can achieve.

Even on the higher end Dynaudios with the 15w-75 mid bass a single section  xover with added notch filters is used, gives a very level response in combination with the D-260 tweeter. The Xl-600 gives out 300watts for 1.8 volts input across 47kohms so I was thinking with studio level outputs I could afford to loose some sensitivity in return for filtering off the lower frequencies.

Another point about the Hafler Xl600 is that -3db point in the Hf extends to 500khz, inserting any kind of ic based analogue or digital crossover on the input will reduce this available bandwidth by a factor of maybe ten times and also potentially  eat into dynamic range quoted as over 100db on the hafler spec sheet  . Of course theres little or no audio signal much above 20khz in any case ,but still having a level response way beyond whats required is always a good thing .By housing the high level passive crossover external to the speaker cabinet I can use larger air cored inductors and avoid any possibillity of vibrations causing other odd ball resonances, any temperature variations are also much reduced which is another plus.I can also wire up the crossover point to point  with very heavy gauge copper to further minimise losses.

Passive low end filtering at the front end of the poweramp is easy to implement, the only real penalty being the increased drive voltages required, I can then use the BSS-fds355 to crossover and equalize the inputs to the low end to match into the roll off of the audience 40's

Latest posts

Back