One-Bottle Preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cheap meter is a cheap meter. Always have one hooked to the power supply caps while working on your circuit. Use clip on leads and have it on all the time. And safety will be obvious by reading it. And NEVER put more than 1 hand in the "Box". Always keep 1 hand in your pocket.

Use your "Good Meter" for measurements. I think radio shack has cheap meters for like 15 bucks. Or even Sears etc.

Your links need a password btw...

If you power transformer smoked then it is not hooked up properly. Or you have a short after it.

Dissconnect your power supply from the board and test the voltage to be sure it is still ok. I did see the differences from the Mila supply. Can't answer on that. Sorry I am just an amateur. Just 1 step above Novice :oops: wish I could help.

Nothing obviously wrong with the OneBottle supply schematic. Are you sure one of the filter capacitors isn't hooked up with the polarity backwards?

Also...unplug the unit and wait 15 minutes for everything to drain off, then test both filter caps. If the voltage is <1V, go ahead and disconnect the transformer from the diode bridge, then test all four diodes using an ohmmeter -- look for very high resistance with the leads connected one way, lowish resistance (but not zero) the other way. In other words, see if the diodes are still diodes.

Peace,
Paul

Hey Dave did you ever try your variation
I've been thinking about revisiting the ol' One-Bottle and making a couple of improvements. Here's what I'm considering:

15K:600 output transformer, eliminate High-Z output jack and R10.

Change R13 to 4.7K (this results in higher plate voltage and current, nets a couple dB more maximum output).

Change R12 to 22K, which allows C5 to be reduced in value. (10K was too low, really... excessive load on V1B plate at minimum gain setting).

Change C4 to 4.7uF.

Add high-Z input jack.

I modified a mixer channel and had forgotten to change the tube which was a 12ax7 and heard no ill effects ,
i had also not considered that the existing plate voltage was in the lower
200's not the 300 from your schematic .
the distortion will be higher in a NYD one bottle pre with a 12ax7 ?

[quote author="okgb"]Hey Dave did you ever try your variation
I've been thinking about revisiting the ol' One-Bottle and making a couple of improvements. Here's what I'm considering:

Change R13 to 4.7K (this results in higher plate voltage and current, nets a couple dB more maximum output).

Change R12 to 22K, which allows C5 to be reduced in value. (10K was too low, really... excessive load on V1B plate at minimum gain setting).

Change C4 to 4.7uF.

Add high-Z input jack.

[/quote]

I am FINALLY :oops: building mine & was just going to ask Dave the same thing before i get too far along.???? :green:

... doesn't look like Dave's visited this thread for a while. :sad:

Well... I searched for Dave's recent post & he hasn't even been here since (Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:03 pm)

It looks like someone pissed him off in this thread. :sad:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=308906&highlight=#308906

I like Dave, his circuits & advise  :!:  :!:  :!:

I just finished a One-Bottle & could really use his input right now.

If anyone knows or has seen Dave, PLEASE let him know there are a lot of use around that appreciate him & could use his help. :green:

THANKS!!!!!!!

this is a longgggggg thread to go through seeing as i just found it...had to skim it..

So is what is considered the basic preamp still the first schematic posted by new york dave?

this is a simple, forgiving circuit... I built mine with what I had on hand and it passes signal and sounds very clean. nice for electric bass with hi-Z input.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg189/shabtek/DSCN2476.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg189/shabtek/DSCN2479.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg189/shabtek/DSCN2471.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg189/shabtek/DSCN2472.jpg

I built it like the first post & really like it.
It does VERY cool things to vocals + the DI is KILLER on Keyboards & Bass.
Example: I actually liked what it did to my vocals using a U87... better than my favorite combination, U87 & Neve 1272.

Note: the input transformer you choose will (most likely) completely change the sound & feel of this preamp.
I'm using some old Triad 600:60k input TX's & I LOVE what they're doing.
Lots of character... I'm sure a "Cleaner" Cinemag would be just as cool but different.

I wish Dave was still around so he could comment on the possible changes to the circuit. :sad:

Change C4 to 4.7uF.

NYDave

cool, thanks. I will have to experiment a bit.....
have a bunch of caps i want to try out like vitamin q's and black cats ect...
many many transformers for all sorts of matching.

[quote author="buschfsu"]wohw wait what do you mean still around. is dave MIA? :cry:[/quote]

Yup... MIA.

His last post was:
Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:03 pm

I wrote about it a few pages back.

About the changes to the circuit he mentioned:
I already increased the output cap to 4.7uf & added an input DI.

The others aren't to difficult to understand, so I'll just try them out on one channel of my stereo unit and see for myself.
I'll probably leave the CAP output & not use an output tranz because you'll loose too much gain.

Has anyone tried this? What value can C5 be reduced to? Originally it was 22uf.

Freddy G said:

Has anyone tried this? What value can C5 be reduced to? Originally it was 22uf.

I just noticed Dave was back around!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Hopfully he'll stay & can comment on the MOD's he mentioned.

Change C4 to 4.7uF.

NYDave

It's possible that Dave doesn't want to get envolved in liability issues etc. The reason the Blue La2 was discontinued. Becuase of novices working with 300 plus DC. And bad wiring etc. I don't blame him if that is the reason.

But it doesn't mean we can't build these things on our own! Without NYD's permission! ;) That would leave him "off the hook"

Then we just need the other anonamous tube guys to chime in. What I know about tube circuits could fit on the head of a pin. Except I did learn ALL of the saftey precautions before I started. I have 1 meter connected to B+ at all times and a second to measure voltages... And one hand behind me....... Just in case.

I have NEVER gotten even 1 shock from any tube project I have made. Not even 1. Knock on wood.

Stagefright13 said:
It's possible that Dave doesn't want to get envolved in liability issues etc. The reason the Blue La2 was discontinued. Becuase of novices working with 300 plus DC. And bad wiring etc. I don't blame him if that is the reason.

But it doesn't mean we can't build these things on our own! Without NYD's permission! ;) That would leave him "off the hook"

Then we just need the other anonamous tube guys to chime in. What I know about tube circuits could fit on the head of a pin. Except I did learn ALL of the saftey precautions before I started. I have 1 meter connected to B+ at all times and a second to measure voltages... And one hand behind me....... Just in case.

I have NEVER gotten even 1 shock from any tube project I have made. Not even 1. Knock on wood.

I think you're speculating ...I seriously doubt that's the reason he hasn't been around.  ;)

Also, Dave usually adds disclaimers to his designs or in the posts of.

Let's not get caught up in this "liability issue". if dave felt that way I'm sure he would have or will tell us.

Yep total speculation! But my NYD projects have been rewarding sonically and learning wise. And I hope he comes back to help us. He's a cool guy. And he can cook I hear?

But he did say he was very busy at some point tho and that may still be the case.

I think he should make the Mila commercial. And get some backing for a release. It's the best bass DI I have ever heard and I have heard a few over the past 25 years. Maybe a little expensive for bass only but makes a smoking preamp too.

Latest posts

Back