looking for inexpensive tantalums

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

I have been trying to find inexpensive tantalums for the following values. closest I have been able to find is an alibaba link where it's a packet of ten for a few bucks but that seems too good to be true...

100uF/50V

10uF/63V

pucho812 said:
I have been trying to find inexpensive tantalums for the following values. closest I have been able to find is an alibaba link where it's a packet of ten for a few bucks but that seems too good to be true...

100uF/50V

10uF/63V

through-hole or SMD? What case size?

For $50 I'd say check out low ESR aluminum electrolytics.

I only designed in tantalum once in my life, and that was in an obscure application, to match a tantalum used in the encode process. Tantalums have a specific dielectric absorption characteristic that could actually make a (very very small) difference in a side chain time constant circuit.

I am not sure what tantalum is good for these days, if ever (was low esr back when).

JR

pucho812 said:
through hole.  radial package although axial I could easily make fit.

MY point to asking was all I have seen so far is  around 50.00(USD) each  :eek:

I have some 10/50v around here somewhere...(sprague 150d tantalex axials ???? and some kemet axials) ..I'll go by the surplus this coming Tuesday and check around for the values you're looking for......

but, as JR said, I've heard the newer low esr caps are better replacements these days.......???

Well the reason for wanting  the tants is operational temperatures exceed electrolytics. the tants can  run up to 125 degrees, which might solve an issue or two.

pucho812 said:
Well the reason for wanting  the tants is operational temperatures exceed electrolytics. the tants can  run up to 125 degrees, which might solve an issue or two.

Makes sense....

I know I've seen/maybe have some axial electrolytics that vary their voltage rating at different temps.....or is it the other way around.......and they were rated @125.....but the properties probably aren't the same as tants and the tolerances probably as well....

I'll check when I'm shopping and grab what I can find..... Pretty common uf values that I wouldn't mind getting stuck with if you already get some by then......high voltages are pretty tough to come by.....

Edit------ I attached the data sheet for some electros I was talking about...... not sure of the properties you need but,these do rate @125 for certain voltages......

Attachments

• 118aht-239891.pdf
    251.5 KB · Views: 6
pucho812 said:
that is interesting for sure.

So I found these today.....

Not sure of the ratings of the 4 M39003 (01-2179)  tants but they are 10uf.....I found 1 reference so far that says they are 75v

M39003/01-2179

CAP,TANTALUM / TA2O5,10UF,75VDC,+-20% TOL

The 2 Kemets are 15uf 75v

the two giant (almost 3")  are 100u 75v....both military JAN

Little time bombs???

LMK if you think you want  them....... ...I have no problem keeping them either...... They're actually pretty weighty.....

Also Just saw this Ebay sale for 10uf75v

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TANTALUM-AXIAL-M39003-01-2418-10UF-75V-CAPACITOR-LOT-OF-5-NNB-/361814233886?epid=13002073180&hash=item543dcf131e:g:npMAAOSwcUBYHMpn

and this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2PCS-M39003-01-2418J-Hermetically-Sealed-Tantalum-Capacitors-10-75V-10-F-/252762638002?hash=item3ad9d3c6b2:g:hawAAOSwTuJYnGav

and some 100uf on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Capacitor-tantalum-K52-11V-63V-100uF-USSR-Lot-of-1-pcs-/141017294284?hash=item20d54925cc:g:OfEAAOxyPH9Ru703

Attachments

• tants 1.jpg
    tants 1.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 11
pucho812 said:
thanks dude.

No prob! I was in the area and I like to stop by when I'm around there......
Got them all for $10.... they wanted $6.00 for 2 the big ones....
Prices are kinda steep sometimes but they have decent stuff ...
Well there here if you find you need them....
Just whistle

Old tantalums were notorious for failing spectacularly. I'd be nervous about buying outside of normal distribution.

For high temperature operation there are capacitors engineers for use in oil drilling instrumentation that can hack 200' or more.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Old tantalums were notorious for failing spectacularly. I'd be nervous about buying outside of normal distribution.

For high temperature operation there are capacitors engineers for use in oil drilling instrumentation that can hack 200' or more.

JR

:eek:.... I'll keep them for my home defense........

You better git....I'll put some high voltage to these.....

scott2000 said:
:eek:.... I'll keep them for my home defense........

You better git....I'll put some high voltage to these.....
I have blown up some capacitors over the years....(no tantalums tho).

Most spectacular was a big film cap back in the 60's used inside a switching power supply prototype to absorb switching overshoot spikes. Luckily I had walked away from my bench at the exact moment it decided to let loose... the foil particles looked like a snowstorm hit my bench.  :eek:

Low voltage polar aluminum electrolytics will make a loud report not unlike a rifle shot when plugged into a mains outlet (don't do that either).

JR 

JohnRoberts said:
Low voltage polar aluminum electrolytics will make a loud report not unlike a rifle shot when plugged into a mains outlet (don't do that either).

JR

That´s what my students love to do when I´m out of the classroom. As a teach I´ll say  :p but in reality I think it´s  ;D

Latest posts

Back