The Lab's IRC channel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

We're still here, you know. :grin:

Server: irc.nightstar.net
Channel: #thelab

http://www.nightstar.net/dark_tiger/ircguide.html -- For a guide to what this IRC thing is all about and how to use it.

http://www.mirc.com/ -- A very popular Windows client.

Just let me know if you have any questions. As it is, the channel is semi-active, with myself, Fallout, and Gustav chatting every once in a while.

sorry Kruz

some of us live in a slow net world and this sort of software just cause too much grief.
Perhaps when we get faster net connections out here away from civilisation.

We had this dicscussion the first time the irc thing came up at the old place.

Some of us work with old slow computers still running 98 or old NT and stuff just doesn't work as it does if you are in LA or New York.

The first time I tried to look at what Prod-Pro dot com was when all the shit went down I had multiple crashes and blue screen of death and spy-ware going crazy ... not my spy ware but the ISPs software.
Even getting registered here was not with-out drama
... that's why I was late at number 69.

Australia is a big place and there is not very many of us.

Kev..

I'd gladly send you a laptop that is fine with irc... point is... the irc clients dont take up any resources at all :)

you dont even need a fast connection... hell irc used to be the shit back in the days of 14.4 modems :D worked fine back then... no reason for it to not work ok now :green:

australia might have its shortcomings, but you guys have masrupials. You know how fucked america is? They give us a marsupial and you know what we got? Fucking 'possum. The nastiest, rattiest, dumbest marsupial out there. That might be the collossal short straw of evolution. You guys get wombats and koalas and bandicoots and kangaroos and we get the fucking opossum which is just a glorified water rat with a pouch. I would gladly trade my decent internet service to hang out with a bunch of stoned koalas instead.

perhaps this is some perspective to appreciate a shitty ISP...

dave

the sound they make is truly horrible, worse than that clicking sound that racoons make. If I ever meet my maker Im going to ask why we got stuck with such a useless fucking creature. You'd never want to pet one or anything like that. They are just %100 nasty. It would actually be pretty cool if all the racoons bound together and started a genocide against the 'possum. I'd support that pretty much full on. It doesnt seem like one ecosystem needs BOTH 'possum and racoons, I think racoons would pretty much win that war.

All I know is that it would be way cooler to finish a mix and go outside and have some koala bear come and chill out instead of some damn possum come out of the woods towards the light, realize that people were there, remember that it doesnt like people and then completely freak out. This happens way too often 'round here for my taste.

dave

[quote author="Kev"]Some of us work with old slow computers still running 98 or old NT and stuff just doesn't work as it does if you are in LA or New York.[/quote]

I'm on a Win98 pc too here at home.. mIRC is really a small, light irc client..
Faster connection aren't needed with irc at all..
as Scen said, irc is coming from the old days.. when the best internet connection avaiable at home was a 14.4 modem.. or even earlier..

Hello DanV here - very nice forum here!

Is the irc channel ever active??? Or are there any other audio gear design related chats??? I know of a good one on efnet for dsp stuff named #musicdsp --- very nice people in there.

:thumb:

Hi!

I decided to try and revive the IRC channel, since i am a long time IRC user, and i belive in this fast and intuitive way of interaction.

i tried joining the other channel, and it was empty. so i opened a new channel. this time on a much more popular server - EFnet. this will atract more users as most irc musicians i know are on efnet.

the channel is on:
Server: EFnet (any efnet server will be fine)
Channel: #groupdiy
i also installed a java client for those who do not want to install chat clients on their computer. (you need java to run it)
http://www.adern.com/diy/

recomended chat clients:
www.mirc.com - the original and most popular irc client
www.trillian.cc - if you also have icq, aim, msn or yahoo, you only need this one software to replace many clients.

now for those of you who have never used IRC befor, i should explain some of its cyber culture. on most channels on IRC, people do not talk 24/7 but they do leave their client online 24/7. you can ask a question in the channel and get a responce after 5 hours. sometimes when several people are near the keyboard at the same time, it can turn out to be a realtime discution, and it does very frequently. but one of the common IRC mistakes is to enter a chat, sai hi, and quit after 2 minutes if none answered. the trick is to log on, and run the client in the background untill something interesting happens. and most often it does.

give this medium a chance and it will not dissapoint you!

Peace!

I have popped in a few times but the room is always empty, although I hope to stumble in when there are people there sometime.

The idea of useing efnet seems bad to me, big and unstable, small servers always worked better in my experiance.

adam

this room is not empty. there are 4 people in there for the last hours.
and we havent seen you join the room. so you probably joined the wrong server...

i have been loged on efnet for years, and has no stability problems as you describe. using efnet just saves one to open another client to connect to another server. if your local efnet server is unstable find an efnet server which is. efnet also has the advantage of having some gr8 music and audio related rooms.

hope to see u there!

the only way irc channels work is if the members keep logged in 24/7

meaning their clients need to stay logged in... it helps in developing a community that is in continuous discussion...

the problem is that people dont stay logged on.. so when others stop by the channel appears empty..

It would take the dedication of about 20 to 30 members to stay logged in 24/7... others would begin joining once this happened.

well the channel is still growing... so thats a good sign...

im part of channels that are 6-7 years old with about 10-15 people constantly there.

if this channel sticks, ill put some bots on to keep it open

Back