1073 DIY - PCBs / self etch files / transistor selection?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haselnusse

Hi everyone!

I am looking into building a 1073 and currently im doing all the research and compiling the information aswell as writing a BOM which i would be happy to share if anyone is interested. I was wondering if anyone still has a source on the 1073 PCBs or maybe even self-etch files, it seems like all the black & white market threads about them are dead...

Also i couldn't find any information on the BC184C transistors in terms of selection, except for one layout for the BA283 card which stated that one of them should have a minimum HFE of 600... any info would be much appreciated!

i've seen those threads and also tried to contact sasarist but haven't gotten an answer yet.

AVDAUDIO looks good although i would prefer a source in Europe for reasons of shipping and import tax.
i am still looking for more info on the transistors, they seem to be more or less readily available but still haven't found anything on selection.

i will do some more research on the internet! thanks for the replies

Hi,
Bc184c are obsolete. Selection wasn t done on original Neve unit, they took one sourced sometimes from shop around the corner and done.
However, for first stage having a hi HFE result in lower noise floor so it can t harm to select them.
The bc184c you can source on internet will most probably be on the lower range of HFE...
You can use mpsa18 as replacement and you could find some highish hfe from them. You ll just need to rotate them 180* as pin are swapped versus bc184c.
All this info availlable through the smart search function. ;)
Best regards.

I have started using BC550 for all my Neve builds with no issues at all.

And their gain is usually close to 600. Not that I have really bothered with the '600' thing!

Peter

Thank you everybody, thats some very helpful information!

Im still working on making the etch files and component overlays. If anyone is interested don't hesitate to pm me.

Attachments

• B205 PCB to etch small.jpg
    B205 PCB to etch small.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 111
Hi Guys , sorry im  not sure if this is in the right place but i've been searching tirelessly for the pcb layouts for B182, B211 BA283 and BA284 is there anyone that can help me in the right direction ?

would you think it is possible to build this on a perfboard? havent gotten into etching yet..

Jarno said:
Sure, people have done a lot more complex things on perf.

do you have any links/photos? i am trying to gather some tips regarding layout when using perfboard approach

You can do quick and dirty perf board build for these cards, but don't expect great performance.
You'll probably get a lot of hum and ripple due to poor grounding and shielding. High gain preamps are very sensitive to this. So it will work, just the noise will be very high.

So it means that there is no way to build a good performence preamp on perfboard?
Why should we have shielding issues when using shillelded wires?

aviel said:
So it means that there is no way to build a good performence preamp on perfboard?
Why should we have shielding issues when using shillelded wires?
Low noise and high gain don't go along with perf board well.
The whole device should be shielded from external interference, not only cables. Besides, perf boards have higher parasitic capacitance and connections are not as reliable.
You may try it yourself and see where it gets you.

Ilya said:
You can do quick and dirty perf board build for these cards, but don't expect great performance.
You'll probably get a lot of hum and ripple due to poor grounding and shielding. High gain preamps are very sensitive to this. So it will work, just the noise will be very high.

You have obviously never opened a Neve 1064 or 1062.  All the filter sections are done on perf board & there is no Hum or ripple with these modules.  See attached pic of a 1062.

Attachments

• 1062.jpg
    1062.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 147
Rob Flinn said:
You have obviously never opened a Neve 1064 or 1062.  All the filter sections are done on perf board & there is no Hum or ripple with these modules.  See attached pic of a 1062.
Seems we're talking about different things. I was meaning this type of boards (see attachment).
The construction you show should work just fine if you pay attention to proper grounding.

Attachments

• IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Back