KM84 Resistor Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabasa

Hi Everyone,

Earlier this year I decided to begin working on converting a couple of defective AKG C480B bodies to the Neumann KM84 circuit.  This project went on hold for a while, but I recently started to work on it and there's something I'm not sure of on the KM84 schematic.

R11 and R12 are the resistors that are connected in series with XLR pins 2 and 3 and are 47 Ohms.  My interpretation is that those resistors seem to have jumpers on them that, according to the schematic, are removed for certain models of mic, but stay in place for the KM84.

So ... for R11 and R12, should I use these resistors or bypass them for the KM84 circuit?

I should have the pcbs populated soon so I'll post pictures shortly.

Thanks,
Gord

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
On another note, how necessary is the 10 Ohm resistor in series with pin 1 of the XLR?  Why is it there?

Thanks,
Gord

The 10 ohm resistor is there to connect the housing of the microphone to the audio ground (to prevent hum), but to prevent ground loops if the body of the microphone accidentally touches another ground. (Than the audio ground.)
So in fact: it is a 'weak' coupling of the microphone body to the audio ground. But since there is no current, this is no problem.
(By the way: not all Neumann microphones use the 10 ohm resistor.)

Latest posts

Back