Mystery patch points

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigbenis27

Hey Everybody!

I'm setting up an SSL 4056 console and I'm having a hard time figuring out what some of the console's patchbay points stand for. I have the service manual with me although I have looked throuugh it extensively and have yet to find any info regarding the patchpoints that are stumping me. If anyone with more SSL experience than me could take a quick look and identify these mystery patches for me that would be awesome or better yet even point me to any reference material that may exist on SSL patch bays that would be super helpful! I've searched the internet and still continue to but i have not found anything as of yet. If such a thing does not exist then I have included a list of the patches in particular that are giving me a hard time.  Unfortunately the pic i have the patchbay is too big to attach but i'll grab another one tomorrow and attach it to this thread to get a better understanding of what the patchbay looks like. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me! Your time is greatly appreciated!

Mystery Patchpoints:

Row L - Quad 1 Rec/ Quad 2 Rec/ St1 Rec/ St2 Rec/ St3 Rec/ St4 Rec/ St5 Rec

Row M - the entire row is all different patterns of LF (left front) RF (right front) LB (left back) and RB (right back) but are these inputs or outputs? where are they in the signal path?

Row N - Quad  1 Rep/ Quad 2 Rep/ St1 Rep/ ST2 Rep/ St3 Rep/ St4 Rep/ St5 Rep/ Quad Disc/ SLS/ MD

Row P - Aside from the phase flippers and mults the rest of this patchbay row is just numbers up to 4, more LF, RF, LB, RB and L/R connections, and now six patches labelled A, B, C, A, B, C??? What does any of that mean?

Thanks again for your time everybody!

Tony

The row L "REC" points are mults of the mix bus outputs, they are half-normalled to the row M points underneath, which are where you would wire the sends to your various 2-track recorders back in the day (DAT, CD-R, 1/2" analog inputs, etc).

The row N  (ST REP etc) are where you would wire up the outputs of those same devices, and those points are half normalled to row P  ( the sets of L and R), which connect to the external monitor selector in the center section.

The connections to the external recorders (rows M and N) will show up on a DL connector, which should be noted in the detailed spec for the console.

That is Awesome tomelectro!! Thanks for the response that clears up a whole lot of the questions I had! Thanks a bunch. Now would you have any idea what the A, B and C points are used for?

Tony

A, B and C were the names used for the SSL6000, as there were 3 stereo busses. You could have a patch borrowed from a 6000 or someone has just made a custom thing, and labelled it "A, B, C"

Back