tands

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Pink

I am branching this off of another thread, as it should be on it's own.

tands said:
I thought it was an interesting article, that you might like.
You might want to reevaluate your thinking, because at this point I am willing to bet everyone is sick and tired of your damned incessant quotes and links, and no one reads or clicks on them anymore, as we have learned the futility. People here tend to be of above average intelligence, and we can think for ourselves without you trying to shove social media up our collective asses.

You are wasting your time, and ours. Are you paid to spam our board, and others? Is it a full time job doing this? Good pay? Little wonder you rarely use your own words, as you probably have no time, with spamming many other boards per your contract with your employer. If my paid-job-spam suspicions are wrong, then you need help. Or pussy.

Beyond that, your needs are not my problem.
Well, aren't you just the most polite internet user out there. [/sarcasm]

@ PRR: You had to go back eleven months to find a tands post that mentions anything electronic? Hmmm.

I'm not one to criticize other posters here, but on an annoyance level, tands posts seem right in between telemarketers that don't leave messages on your cell phone, and those that do.

Now, to the point, a survey:

Tands stays?

Tands goes?

Right after I post this, I will report it to the moderators in case I went too far. but I have had enough of wading through the tands post cesspool in order to get to someone in the thread that actually has something to say.

Gene

> had to go back eleven months

As I said, scroll-limited. Search is uncooperative. At your prodding, I found September 02, 2017.

I'm not in favor of any voting-off-the-island. That leads to chaos.

_I_ do thread-drift, but I think the political arguments have become endless, tiresome, and pointless. I do agree that anybody smart enough to understand an electron can have thoughts about elections too. I try my dammest to stay out of those. I think there are other places for that. But I won't like any quota or tit-tat limit on political discussions here.

The article in question is about people using algorithms to generate youtube videos for little children based on click generating keywords and showing them the insane and destructive results. I thought people with small children should know about this, and more generally, had hoped to generate discussion about the consequences of such use of the internet, and maybe of how these tactics related to other content generation for people other than children. But I see no need to tell anyone how to think about it. Is there anything you've posted in the brewery as interesting and culturally relevant as these developments, Gene, because I guess I missed it? Do you want to talk about pussy or something?

Here is that link again.

https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2

Glad to see I am not alone in my sentiment, but perhaps this is a little too Pink.  ;D

It is not against the rules to be irritating, and it is easy enough to ignore the small handful of forum posters that generate more smoke and heat than light. 

Yes I long ago reviewed how few posts some people make to actual threads about audio or electronic topics, but again there are no rules against only posting off topic discussion, and the brewery is pretty much free of specific topic guidelines. 

As long as there is no overt rule breaking, nobody should be drummed off the island today (but yes report any actual rule violations because I do not closely monitor some of these discussions any more).

If people want to suggest a new rule, or rules change, OK, but cut and past, and providing links for more information are widely used practices in technical discussions.  I do it myself.

I do not understand the attraction to join here just to post about anything but electonics, but again not against the rules.

If they join here to argue with "us", the solution for that is to stop arguing with them...(takes two to tango).  It is only mildly irritating to give other people the wrong last word, but it gets easier if you don't read what they say (actually can be pretty relaxing).  ;D

I suspect there is a generation(s) gap between some younger posters who grew up playing on hand held devices , and those of us who grew up playing with rocks and sticks out in the yard, and later melting solder.  This forum is a great environment, but just like real life there can be communication problems.  We all need to effectively communicate across the generations (in both directions). I hope we can listen to each other, or ignore each other as appropriate.

JR 

And then there are some who just like to argue for its own sake. In some ways I find them more objectionable than people who are simply irritating.

Cheers

Ian

Hi All,

I visit this forum on occasions to converse with folk who share a passion about audio and building stuff, and generally, I steer clear of the Brewery since it steams with emotional energy -mainly people comparinging today's societal actions with their own or past frames of reference, and getting hot under the collar when someone disagrees with them.    However, I feel compelled to respond to this one.

When posting or responding,  I have always thought to myself "Would I say that if we were face to face having a coffee" and trying to adjust my language accordingly.  I think that most of the posters appear to be of the same attitude - a sort of Gentlemand/Ladies mutual respect - and not hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet, as a small cadre of posters appear to do.  I am also dyslexic so I try to be careful in what I say and how I say it.

So,  maybe there is a place for the moderators to apply some judgement here, but  also all contributors.  Yes it is a subjective thing but if the mods or several members feel that due respect is not being paid by a given individual the mods should use a 'Face to face coffee' test and drop the post - and maybe 'Three strikes and you're out'.

Best regards

Mike

madswitcher said:
Hi All,

I visit this forum on occasions to converse with folk who share a passion about audio and building stuff, and generally, I steer clear of the Brewery since it steams with emotional energy -mainly people comparinging today's societal actions with their own or past frames of reference, and getting hot under the collar when someone disagrees with them.    However, I feel compelled to respond to this one.

When posting or responding,  I have always thought to myself "Would I say that if we were face to face having a coffee" and trying to adjust my language accordingly.  I think that most of the posters appear to be of the same attitude - a sort of Gentlemand/Ladies mutual respect - and not hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet, as a small cadre of posters appear to do.  I am also dyslexic so I try to be careful in what I say and how I say it.
rule#4 said:
4. You will find that the members of this community are incredibly courteous and respectful of each other, so please reciprocate those gestures. Leave the Flame-war mentality at another forum.  Personal attacks as well as general hateful comments (regarding race, religion, gender, sex, etc...) will not be tolerated.
Not only is being civil a good idea it is in the rules... 

I have issued a few warnings on list and off about civility. So far it hasn't gotten to the point where tougher action was required.
So,  maybe there is a place for the moderators to apply some judgement here, but  also all contributors.  Yes it is a subjective thing but if the mods or several members feel that due respect is not being paid by a given individual the mods should use a 'Face to face coffee' test and drop the post - and maybe 'Three strikes and you're out'.

Best regards

Mike
It could be a huge can of worms if moderators had to make subjective decisions about post behavior. A rules based system is generally possible to enforce objectively.  There will always be some gray area deciding when a particular poster is over the line, but so far a simple warning has been enough.

I have deleted objectionable comments from a tiny number of posts (and completely deleted even fewer entire posts) that were out of line.  I do not edit other people's comments lightly, imagine if i was arguing with somebody and edited his comments?  ::)

Personal problems are best worked out using PMs rather the equivalent of trial by public outcry...(hey let's get together and gang up on so and so), but this too is not against any rules (yet but please don't do it). 

Perhaps this thread will be enough to improve communication.... or not.

JR 

I tend to view these political threads like the Monty Python argument skit. Kind of funny and pointless.

Its easy to ignore annoying members, but its hard when dominate threads with endless banter and baiting. Someone (including myself) al;ways seems to take the bait...and in this case, it only takes 1 to tango.  ;D

I think a big part of why this obnoxious behavior exists is because this is one of the few forums (that I have been to atleast) where annoying people are tolerated and not banned. Of course, thats also why this is such a great place.

An Ignore list or button would work wonders I think. I thought having an "ignore" list was standard on most forum software? Its the opposite of a friend list, or as we list to say on GDiy.......Buddies!  8)

iampoor1 said:
I think a big part of why this obnoxious behavior exists is because this is one of the few forums (that I have been to atleast) where annoying people are tolerated and not banned. Of course, thats also why this is such a great place.

I visit Gearslutz occasionally where the signal to noise ratio is generally very poor and there are some people who make absurd technical claims and make a point of trying to dismiss your own technical contributions. Fortunately slutz has a setting whereby you can set up an ignore list to make it simply not show any posts from certian people. I have two people on my list at present. Works for me.

Cheers

Ian

I think compared to many other online forums and chats ,the vibe here is excellent . Ive certainly witnessed how ugly things can get on the other electronics forum mentioned .Internet chats are very often horrible places to be ,weak leadership coupled with cliques and favouritism ,leads to a time bomb effect ,behaviour spirals downwards and an implosion follows soon after .
I think if a person is confident about their own point of view ,they should simply be able to state their beliefs ,and at least try and remain diplomatic about it .
I cant be bothered reading through endless re-tweets of previous posts ,I just skip down to the lines where the poster makes their point .
I like some of the perspectives Tands had brought to the table ,Yes we do need to be questioning the nature of the internet and the effect its having especially on the young and vulnerable , and we do need to be questioning the billions the likes of Zuckerburg makes while failing to take responsabillity for the negative impacts of his business model .The fact that many of these giants of technology wont let their own kids near online signals an internal conflict .

Ive been lucky enough to have done a fair amount of traveling and living away from the smallish town I grew up in ,Ive made friends from many backrounds very different to my own ,and its the best way by far to smash the preconceptions and 'us and them' mentalities that are foistered onto us by society .Theres many who Id disagree profoundly with about politics and other things,but you know what, you can make the best of friends in the most unlikely of places ,its about trying to find the common ground rather than dwelling on the difference all the time .

I think to move this topic forward in a more positive direction, could be an idea for Gene to change the subject and name at the top of the page .

Back