500 Series YannLu Audio EQ-500 (Harrison MR replica)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YannLu

Hi,

My brand new product alert here !

The EQ-500 is the perfect replica of a Harrison MR serie channel strip EQ section.

It is available in full assembled/tested version: 495 € (excl. shipping) or
in a DIY partial kit (front panel/PCB set/knobs/connectors) version : 125 € (excl. shipping)

Visit my website for more info and specs : http://www.yannluaudio.com/

Thank you !

Yann

Attachments

• DSCN1830.JPG
    DSCN1830.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 292
Looking very nice ! I like the Harrison sound and I was searching for some clone kit ...and I just saw your products here !
I am going to purchase 2 of them. What's the delivery time ?

BlueStone said:
Looking very nice ! I like the Harrison sound and I was searching for some clone kit ...and I just saw your products here !
I am going to purchase 2 of them. What's the delivery time ?

Thank you Bluestone

Glad to read that  :)
Did you use a Harrison console ? Which model ?
I am asking because I am now working on the layout of the 32-serie preamp (with Jensen transfo) and of course their very reputated EQ. Both still in 500 format. The challenge is to manage the placement of all the pots and switches on the front panel :) But I guess I will go on a single rack channel strip too.

For the EQ500 the delivery time is 4 weeks max depending on the orders.
I actually sold the first batch last month. I wait for new purchases before launching PCB and panels new batches.

Yann

I used to work on a TV3 model. Don't know for the mic pre but I remember that the EQ was the same than the MR... It sounded amazing !

I am interested, please post pics of what comes in the kit & a reference to build instruction / BOM for the build

Thanks!

Here is a pic of the partial kit.

PCB
Panel
Board-to-board connector
Hex spacer (1")
Knobs

The Mouser BOM : https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=8ba20aea6e

Attachments

• EQ500 DIY KIT.jpg
    EQ500 DIY KIT.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 258
FYI I am about to order the next batch of 20 panels and PCB sets.
If you are purchasing this week maybe you will join the order list ;-)

Mine just arrived! I decided to order the complete kit due to backorders here at Mouser and I didn't want to wait 12 weeks for a few parts and the savings would have been nominal. Shipping was a lot quicker than Yann and I expected at 6 business days. This may or may not be your experience but we here in Canada seem to get things quick from Europe.

Last night I sorted parts in to their respective piles and I can say I'm pretty excited. All the parts are all top shelf from pots to switches and all the other components. This will be built to last and full of quality.

Enough talk and more building. I'll check in when I get this beauty finished.....

One note. Pay attention to the zeros and eights in the silk screen. They are very close. I was just starting on resistors and thought what is R00? Phew, didn't get me but still has me second guessing. Other than that its a good layout.

The zeros are a NIL zero...

Carl,
Yes you were lucky with the very fast shipment !
Thanks for your note.  I will upgrade the silkscreen with clearer and more readable font on the next batch to avoid this possible confusion. If any doubt here is a better quality PCB silkscreen to help.
Enjoy the assembly !

Attachments

• YannLu EQ-500 SILKCREEN TOP.pdf
    954.4 KB · Views: 23
And here the upgraded full Build Guide.

Attachments

• YannLu EQ-500 build guide.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
That PCB silkscreen is way better. Even though I was aware of it I still had to be cautious. I'm done assembling now (build time 4.5 hours) and I'm just waiting for my oscilloscope to arrive on Monday. This will be my first time having to use one and I'm looking forward to the challenge. I may call on you for some tips on this. It was inevitable that this day would come and I'm ready to move on to the next level. And I thought calibrating an 1176 was involved. By the way I am super excited to use this eq and I can tell by the build and it's exacting calibration it's going to be magic. I can see another in my future....

Great to read this, Carl. 4.5h is a good average.
Calibration of the EQ is not hard at all : the double trace scope is just involved in the symmetry of the balanced driver output stage.
For the rest you need your DAW and a good quality spectrum analyzer (freeware like Room Eq Wizard is totally convenient).
Looking forward for your results !

Oh, the LEDs!!!
I don't want to assume but on the LEDs the "K" is for cathode and the "A" is for anode? On the  2 colour LED "A" to the middle and the remaining long and short respectively? This is correct?

Latest posts

Back