Slick... or Smart?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The beast and natty light in one thread 😎 I have to chime in 

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/money/4357234/walmart-is-getting-into-craft-beer-now

As usual John was Right

PS sorry about the link I didn't want to" pull a tands"

JohnRoberts said:
Well surprisingly I have an anecdote... Back in the 60's when I was too young to buy beer legally, I had cojones that suggested otherwise, and while I was one of the youngest of the 7 students living in a 3 bedroom apartment on Beacon street (Boston), I was the only one the liquor store clerks believed was old enough to buy beer..... so I did, several times a day...Pretty soon they didn't want to ask, in case I wasn't old enough and they would lose their best test boosters customer.  ;D

Being students, money was always tight and we often were on the lookout for a bargain beer  (to give the girls at our parties). If you hand each girl a beer when they walk in the door they will stay at least a few minutes before leaving the party, increasing the odds of a good time for somebody. 

I will never forget this beer .. the brand name was "Coburger"...  $2.69 a case back in the 60s so pretty much cheaper than dirt.. As I recall it was so bad, even the girls wouldn't drink it... we ended up pouring what was left down the drain the next morning. Never had beer left over after a party before Coburger, or after.  ::)

JR

PS: I just googled it and it's a real beer, but that stuff we got 50 odd years ago was really really nasty...  :eek:

Funny story story about the liquor store. So that's the truck, become their best customer.

EarlPar said:
Funny story story about the liquor store. So that's the truck, become their best customer.
While I should not brag about breaking laws or give advice to others about how to do it, here goes.  ::)  Another way we purchased alcohol when underage was to have it delivered, and always give the delivery guy a good tip,  making him reluctant to squash the transaction by checking our age. Not exactly a bribe but a motivation to complete the transaction.

I recall on my birthday when I finally turned legal, I invited the delivery guy, an old friend by now, to join us for a beer. He laughed  when we told him I had just turned 21..  (almost 50 years ago).

JR

PS: I once dated an older girl (young woman) and had her buy the booze for us.  I think I had my first taste of beer around age 7 (from a old retired neighbor).

Back on topic I have a new "slick or smart" observation..  The cheap garbage bags I buy, no longer use a draw string or include twist ties, they have extra plastic flaps at the top that you can tie together into a knot to close the bag... Actually works pretty well...  Cheaper and as good or better is always a win.

====
Now one for the "slick" column... I just won a bombed out A/V receiver auction on EBAY for the minimum $20 bid... The $20 chassis I plan to build my 6 channels of Hypex into, had a $60+ shipping fee... I'll see when it arrives how much of that was just another profit extraction exercise.

JR

Latest posts

Back