Can I use different output transformer taps concurrently?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Che_Guitarra

My guitar amp has 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps, hardwired to four output jacks: 2 x 4Ω, 1 x 8Ω, 1 x 16Ω.

I have a query - can I safely use different output transformer taps at the same time?

I'm toying with an idea: use my current speaker cabs as I typically do.  I'm wondering if, concurrently, I could dedicate an unused output tap for a speaker cabinet simulator device (such as a Two Notes Captor, or Mesa CabClone)?

The short answer is no. Devices like the 2 note actually load the amp just like a speaker and so they dissipate power just like a speaker.  So if you use one AND a speaker you will be tryig to draw roughly twice as much power from the amp which it probably will not be too happy about.

Cheers

Ian

Che_Guitarra said:
My guitar amp has 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps, hardwired to four output jacks: 2 x 4Ω, 1 x 8Ω, 1 x 16Ω.
It's a tad strange; two 4 ohms outputs suggest a resulting impedance of 2 ohms. What is the amp's model? The datasheet mat help us understande that.

I have a query - can I safely use different output transformer taps at the same time?
The elaborate answer is YES, BUT... For example, if you have a 4 ohms and an 8 ohms output, you can load the 4 ohms with an 8 ohms cab and the 8 ohms with a 16 ohms cab. For more complex combinations, the calaculation is not too difficult, but involves square roots and 2nd order equations.

I'm toying with an idea: use my current speaker cabs as I typically do.  I'm wondering if, concurrently, I could dedicate an unused output tap for a speaker cabinet simulator device (such as a Two Notes Captor, or Mesa CabClone)?
Do these things have a 16 ohms position?

abbey road d enfer said:
It's a tad strange; two 4 ohms outputs suggest a resulting impedance of 2 ohms. What is the amp's model? The datasheet mat help us understande that.

Do these things have a 16 ohms position?

DIY Princeton/Deluxe type thing.  Classictone output transformer with 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps.  The two 4 ohm outputs: so I can run both my 1x12 speaker cabs at once.  They're both 8Ω speakers.

The cab sim devices:  the impedance is non-selectable (well, not on these particularly basic units), but they can be bought in the impedance of your preference.  I use the four and 8 ohm taps consistently on my amp, so I was thinking to plug it in to the 16 ohm tap like a dongle... of sorts.  To do away with the need for miking up.  It appears the Two Notes option can be used in-line with the speaker, so that might be my plan of attack.

here is what you do, buy the Captor in 16 ohms and plug it into the 8 Ohm jack which presents a load of 16 K to the tubes,

plug your two 8 ohm speaks into the two 4 ohm jacks and you are good to go

total load is now  (8000 * 16000)/(8000 + 16,000) = 5,333 ohms

this is a total mismatch factor of 5,333/8000= 66.6    :eek:  Pentodes do not care about mismatch as much as triodes, so you are totally ok.

Jerry Garcia loved to use 3 JBL's which has a Z of 5.33 ohms if they are 16 ohm speaks. Said the weird impedance made him sound....weird.  :D

but we hate the noisy DI outs from speak ports, so next time include a 6N1P inside your amp and attach suitable output xfmr.  ;D

Attachments

• captor.png
    captor.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 14
abbey road d enfer said:
Perhaps it is just two jacks in series across the 8 ohm tap?

Cheers

Ian

it is two 4 ohm  jacks attached to the OPT 4 ohm tap so that one may plug a  single 4 ohm speaker into 4 ohms, or if more volume is needed, plug two 8 ohm speakers into the two 4 ohm jacks, thus matching two 8 ohm speakers to the plates of he 6V6GT tubes.

Latest posts

Back