Inexepensive SDC on blowout 33€ (Avantone CK1/MXL 603)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

Hi guys. I think this is a steal. I am pretty sure this is rebranded Avantone CK1 relative. No SMD. Looks easy to mod, sounds very usable stock. On blowout at Gear4Music. I treat you with some pics :)

https://www.gear4music.it/it/Registrazione-e-computer/SubZero-SZC-100-Pencil-microfono-a-condensatore/10GS

Attachments

• 20171114_172356-1728x2304.jpg
    20171114_172356-1728x2304.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 133
This looks like right schematic. Component numbers dont match tho.

Attachments

• 20171114_185236.png
    20171114_185236.png
    149.9 KB · Views: 85
I kinda figured that would indeed be a Schoeps + DC-DC, by the pair of transistors near the XLR, and the pair of grey-green inductors there ;D

That's odd, Gear4Music is a british company - why and how would they be shipping from Sweden?

I received mine from Sweden. It was about 10€ for pair to Norway.  Not sure about costs to the rest of Europe.

Yes they are bright, but not as bright as typical k67 copy. They have different curve to them. They have peak at 7Khz, most if my mics have a dip there.

Would like to find screw on grille that i can fit large capsule in. M Joly had this option for MXL with his K47.

Khron said:
Gear4Music is a british company - why and how would they be shipping from Sweden?

Strange indeed. Even if you order them from the UK website, they have to come from Sweden it seems.

Attachments

• Gear4music.PNG
    Gear4music.PNG
    15 KB · Views: 52
Although I hate to pay a lot of money for shipping only, I ordered a pair.
Let's see what we can make of them!
The construction with discrete components makes it very easy to 'tailor' them to your needs.
Thanks again for the tip!

Wow, that is awesome. I ordered another pair. Waiting for your ideas :)

Capsule itself is super easy to mod. But where to start? Change air chamber volume. Widen, or shrink holes. Use thicker spacer betwen backplate and membrane.

Marik used to mod these capsules, i found an image and i saw different backplate.

Update.

I did usual EQ mod to it. 2x10K resistors after FET with 800pf cap.

As i just cleaned friends u87 with dirty capsule i did quick measure, and just for reference i used untouched Studio Projects C1 as typical bright mic.  50cm from my monitors, exact same spot.

Magenta is U87 old, non AI, black model.
Green is SubZero SDC
Yellow is Studio Projects C1

Attachments

• Wow.jpg
    Wow.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 95
Rippled ones are interface -> amplifier -> speaker -> room -> mic -> interface, and the flat ones are interface -> jfet gate -> xlr ->interface, i'm guessing?

RuudNL said:
What is the difference between your last measurement and the ones before?
(Because all the 'ripples' are gone now!)

Difference between these two pictures?

First one is acoustic measure with three diferent mics as described, the other one is just injected signal directly into the SubZero with mod to show what kind of HF reduction it does :)

Sorry for such a 'subjective' request, but as a listener, how would you characterise the tone of that 900 Hz peak in relation to the rather flat upper end?

It's whole area between 500hz and 1k that is boosted. That peak stands out, but it is present in C1 as well. I am pretty sure it's my room or speaker as it' present even with ECM8000 measurement mic.

Could be pattern and capsule type diference.

Subjectively i dont hear it poking through.

Here is another picture with other mics, same peak present.

Attachments

• ModdingP220.jpg
    ModdingP220.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back