Q-Bias calibration Problem with Rev D 1176

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdahlqvist26

Hey, I was calibrating my FET 1176 Rev D today and stumbled across a problem. When I was doing the Q-bias step nothing happened. The potentiometer did not engage the meter at all, I even measured the voltage to see if something was going through but it was not. I sat down for hours following cables and looking for problems but I could not find anything. The potentiometer is working, I measured the resistance between the legs and it changed when I turned it. I checked the tutorial on your site that describes how you should put the cables to their positions and numbers and everything was done the right way. I can not find anything about this particular problem on the internet. Do you guys have an idea what can be wrong? Best Regards Rasmus

You should also post in the build thread/s for these. If you search you will find them...Here's one....

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=63600.20

trying to remember but there should be dc voltage after the diodes just after the 6.8uf caps....that feeds the pot......... I would have to check what I saw. I don't have one of these yet but have read a bit about them...... I want one...lol

Many different issues at this stage of the build so it could be anything..... Even those 6.8 uf caps can be bad..... transistors not hfe matched...etc...

If I find that discussion, I'll post it.....

Good luck!!!

Make sure you have a +10dbm signal going through the compressor.
If your using a DAW to provide your signal thats about -12 dbfs

Put both input and output knob pointers straight up. (twelve o' clock)

Turn the attack knob CCW until it clicks. That puts the compressor in bypass. Now no control voltage is going to the FET.

Make sure the meter is set for OUTPUT +4 NOT compression.

Adjust the output knob till your meter reads 0 db.

Now turn the Q bias either way (with signal running through the comp) you should see the meter move if you turn the pot.

Turn the Q bias pot so the VU meter goes all the way to the right as far as possible.

Re adjust the output knob to bring the meter back to 0VU if you have to.

Then turn the Q bias pot the other direction until the meter goes down -1db

Now your done.

Thanks for the quick answers guys, I will look in to it. Please post other threads or links if you find something else I could try. Best Regards

Latest posts

Back