Altec duplex speaker repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodizzy

I have an Altec 605A that has a tear and a smaller hole (not in picture) in the surround.  I'm in the process of moving, money is kind of tight for awhile and I'm hoping to repair this driver before I pack it onto some ply and transport it.

The tear area measures approx. 1" across x 1/2" (not running to surround edge near gasket).  There is a large pool of doping nearby as well for resealing.

I posted on another forum about this and narrowed the replies down to two approaches-

1. Cleaning around the areas with acetone to remove any doping.  Using thinned super goo,  (thinned with what?) and glueing a patch on the back of the surround over the repair area.  Using acetone or a heat gun to move the pooled doping back over the patch.

2.  Another poster said they effected a repair by cutting a piece of linen about 1/4" bigger than the patch area and then using a heat gun to redope over the area again.  No glueing.

I realise neither method is ideal, but with money and time at a crunch, I'd like to try one of these.  Has anyone done anything similar with these speakers?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    990.7 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back