Any Cubase users here?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

9.5 came out yesterday.  I am loving the update!  This is the first update in a while where I feel like they really hit it out of the park.  Feels like they finally really listened to their customers instead of adding a bunch of features that they think we should want.  I've been really happy with Steinberg lately.  If  you are a user go check out their youtube page-they have been putting in a lot of effort to have really in-depth training videos free there.

Another long time Cubase user here!

I'm about to get the new update in next few days. But I already went to see what's new and it seems ok.

It's kinda strange that they are advertising new video engine in v9.5, but they implemented that same video engine in last update of v9 (v9.0.30). So users of v9 have it if they updated their copy. It's not new! You cannot advertise it as new feature!

They introduced new audio engine that runs on 64bit. Yeah! Wow! As far as I know all other DAWs already have 64bit engines so it's not something we should be thankful about.

But I'm happy that they brought more functions to automation curves! That's something I really want to use! I was sick and tired of clicking 4 new points, dragging mouse to select inner two just to be able to raise value of a section of automation curve. Now it's as it should be. Love that!

I'm wondering what happens when you try to load v9.5 project in v9. Is it compatible? What happens with plugins, since v9.5 has 16 insert slots while v9 is eights slots only. I guess that's not compatible any more (and that's a bummer since I use different versions at home and in my studio...)

:)

Luka

shot said:
It's kinda strange that they are advertising new video engine in v9.5, but they implemented that same video engine in last update of v9 (v9.0.30). So users of v9 have it if they updated their copy. It's not new! You cannot advertise it as new feature!

I don't use this feature myself, but I know a lot of people have been complaining about the new video engine, so maybe they mean that they are making it usable for people now?  ;D

They introduced new audio engine that runs on 64bit. Yeah! Wow! As far as I know all other DAWs already have 64bit engines so it's not something we should be thankful about.

I don't really know much about this.  I thought most daws did 32 bit floating point summing in the mix engine?  I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong as it's not really anything I follow.

But I'm happy that they brought more functions to automation curves! That's something I really want to use! I was sick and tired of clicking 4 new points, dragging mouse to select inner two just to be able to raise value of a section of automation curve. Now it's as it should be. Love that!

These are two different features.  We now have automation curves, AND we have the range select tool can now (finally!) just quickly adjust automation.  I am really happy to have both features.  I am already really happy with how much quicker drawing filter sweeps, etc, is for me.

I'm wondering what happens when you try to load v9.5 project in v9. Is it compatible? What happens with plugins, since v9.5 has 16 insert slots while v9 is eights slots only. I guess that's not compatible any more (and that's a bummer since I use different versions at home and in my studio...)

According to folks on the forums, basically new features are ignored so plugins in those later slots would be dropped, curves ignored, etc.  So far I'm still happy.  It's been well worth the $60.

Mbira said:
I don't use this feature myself, but I know a lot of people have been complaining about the new video engine, so maybe they mean that they are making it usable for people now?  ;D

Sometimes I do some advertising voiceovers that I need to sync to video and it's always been a drag with video file formats and rendering video on screen. When they decided to abandon quicktime as video engine I was like "hell yeaaa!".
I haven't tired the new engine yet, but I'm sure its better now.
But the fact is that this engine was implemented in v9 and they are advertising it as new addition to v9.5. That's a bit false marketing. But who cares as long as they (finally) abandoned quicktime!!

I don't really know much about this.  I thought most daws did 32 bit floating point summing in the mix engine?  I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong as it's not really anything I follow.
That's what I thought also! But then I went to check online to see what other daws are using and found out  that most of them already have 64bit engines. Obviously Steinberg had to do it since competitors were way ahead.

According to folks on the forums, basically new features are ignored so plugins in those later slots would be dropped, curves ignored, etc.  So far I'm still happy.  It's been well worth the $60.
Oh this is soooo nice to hear! Makes me happy I'll be still able to move projects from studio to home!!

:)

Luka

Well.... Maybe I'll switch to 9.5 then. I have up to 8.5, but still use 6.5. Partially because I'm too lazy to learn the the newer layout, but also because I feel all cubase upgrades are a waste of money.....

But I read the 9.0 version has been much more stable than previous versions. So, well, maybe I'll do the upgrade to 9.5 then ;)

What do you guys use Cubase for? I tried 8 and didn't like it too much., just felt non intuitive to me.  But I'm thinking maybe give it another go.  Happy with pro tools for recording and mixing but it's not so great for composition.

john12ax7 said:
What do you guys use Cubase for? I tried 8 and didn't like it too much., just felt non intuitive to me.  But I'm thinking maybe give it another go.  Happy with pro tools for recording and mixing but it's not so great for composition.

I'm still stuck on 6.5....Artist at that......

I've been using it forever so, I'm used to it but it does feel clunky in regards to flow at times. I see guys flying around on Ableton and wish I had the drive to pick it up but, I'm going to keep at it with Cubase. The newer versions look like a different program for sure and I may check it out. Lot of guys using Logic as well......

I'd say watch some of the videos out there of people using them to get a feel for how comfortable it looks for you????

I was even considering Samplitude at some point because something's telling me to change but, I haven't gotten there yet.....

Guess it all depends on how you like to work.....

I've used Samplitude for a long time as well. I would say it's the best when it comes to audio editing.  It's big brother Sequoia is a standard in mastering. But for mixing I liked Pro Tools a lot better, hardware inserts are a huge pain in Samplitude.

Cubase seems to be the best for midi so I'm reconsidering it.  I'm òn PC so logic is out (plus I hate it :)). So it seems like Cubase or Sonar are the two options.

It's weird,  I've always liked Wavelab, and wondered why Cubase couldn't be a multitrack Wavelab.

john12ax7 said:
What do you guys use Cubase for?

I started on a cracked version of cubase when I was just getting started in music-I think it was Cubase VST.  I use Ableton for the live band to trigger things and for several year I tried to do my productions on Ableton, but Cubase is actually very intuitive to me.  Plust there is a Score feature in it and I use that a lot.  I am actually really happy with Steinberg in general these days.  I recommend checking out their Youtube channel.  THey have been putting in a lot of time with these monthly Cubase Q&A sessions with Greg Ondo (sp?) and he has a whole bunch of short videos there that really go in to a lot of the smaller advanced features that you can miss out on.  They are the only DAW that I see out there these days that is really actively working to engage the community and teach.  Im sure there are others, but that is what I have seen.  Certainly a far cry from Ableton or PT.

john12ax7 said:
What do you guys use Cubase for?

Well, where to start.....
Obviously, recording. Everything from solo vocals to hundreds of orchestra channels. Mixing - the same range: from vocals with playback to rock bands with symphony orchestra with tons of automation.
Full-blown TV post-production with multiple people working on one project (and then combining our individual sessions into one single full session). We don't use OMF, we recreate edits from video peoples EDL using our multitrack that was recorded in the venue. We even edit video (for in-house purposes, when video master is not ready, but we have audio EDL from video guys).

But we're probably some of the very few people who do this crazy post-pro stuff. Not for faint-hearted, beleive me. After such work, normal work in Cubase is just a child game.

I don't like Pro Tools that much. First, it doesn't have normal file management ("Pool" in Cubase) - you can't create folders and your audio pool quickly becomes a bloody mess. No folder tracks (until recently), clip gain is a joke (and was introduced just recently). There was no offline mixdown for a long time. It was hardware dependent for a long time. I find it inconvenient to edit automation, and I hate its crossfade editor. And it calculates crossfades as physical files.
Although I know PT and had it in the studio for a long time, I much prefer Cubase. But I'm obviously biased by tens of years of work in Cubase and Nuendo.

And yes, I absolutely LOVE sequoia for source-destination editing and brilliant crossfade editor. But I wouldn't mix a rock or pop song in sequoia/samplitude though. For me the only thing that's worse to that is mixing rock/pop in Pyramix. Don't even get me started on that....

I've been enjoying the Offline Processing of 9.5.  Ilya, I'll bet you guys in post are liking that as well.

Mbira said:
I've been enjoying the Offline Processing of 9.5.  Ilya, I'll bet you guys in post are liking that as well.

We're still on 8.5 at this point. We've been using offline mixdown for ages. Since Nuendo 3 I suppose. Does V9.5 offer anything else to standard offline mixdown function?

Ilya said:
We're still on 8.5 at this point. We've been using offline mixdown for ages. Since Nuendo 3 I suppose. Does V9.5 offer anything else to standard offline mixdown function?

Yes-9.5 has offline processing-like Nuendo.  I'm not talking about offline mixdown-I'm talking about non-destructive offline insert processing.

I've using Cubase when it was sequencer only. I have gone through all the iteration up to 9.5 which I got the day it was released. Sadly I can't use a lot of my vintage 32bit plugins anymore since 9.0 and up

analag said:
I've using Cubase when it was sequencer only. I have gone through all the iteration up to 9.5 which I got the day it was released. Sadly I can't use a lot of my vintage 32bit plugins anymore since 9.0 and up

Yep.  You can still use that vst bridge that some company makes-I can't remember which-but I know a lot of people there on the forum still use it.  It's not supported though.  I'm starting to use VE Pro for my template projects and I know you can host your 32 bit plugs that way.

analag said:
Sadly I can't use a lot of my vintage 32bit plugins anymore since 9.0 and up

Have you checked for 64 bit updates? I don't recall one plugin I still miss from the 32bit times, and the stability improvement after being 64bit only was big in my case. Which plugins do you miss?

Michael

Michael Tibes said:
Have you checked for 64 bit updates? I don't recall one plugin I still miss from the 32bit times, and the stability improvement after being 64bit only was big in my case. Which plugins do you miss?

Michael

For me it's just a bummer to open old projects and get all these warnings for missing plugins that are no longer able to be used...like all those old reverbs and dynamics processors that came with earlier versions of Cubase.  And I'm certainly not going to spend the time trying to replace them with new ones-so I have a lot of abandoned songs that I just don't even want to deal with now.

Latest posts

Back