EELA mixer frames

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I have done it again. This time I got three EELA mixers to use as frames for tube mixers. These should be better than the Glensound one I got earlier because I was careful to get the vendor to check the measurements of the top section where I want to fit my EZTubeMixer modules:

s-l1600.jpg

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Like the way you do it  8)
side note, as it's a "high end" broadcast mixer, with top qualities part, I'm sure you'll be able to re-use pot as other button etc...

Best
Zam

MagnetoSound said:
Yes, looks great. Will you be keeping the EQ/fader modules? I'd be happy to relieve you of one or two ... 🙂

I am basically interested only in the frames. I am happy to pass the modules on to interested parties at bargain prices.

And I just a bought a fourth one from the same vendor!! Should be enough frames to keep me going for a few years.

I will post pictures of all four here when I get my hands on them. Just let me know if you want any modules. Most of them have had the P&G faders removed unfortunately.

Cheers

Ian

Rob Flinn said:
They look like the kind of frames that one could bolt several side to side if you get my drift  ;)

Indeed I do. The manufacturer also normally makes these in several widths. The ones I have are about 500m wide but they do have versions twice this width:

url

In theory, there is no reason why I cannot remove the existing extrusions and replace them with longer ones - like the 1 metre ones I have. I could make a mini Krassemaschine.

However, bolting a pair of these frames together would instantly make a rather attractive mixer.

Cheers

Ian

Nice score!

I might be interested in some modules from them too, depending on feature set, and parts. Are these transofmrer balanced? I am assuming no eq?

iampoor1 said:
Nice score!

I might be interested in some modules from them too, depending on feature set, and parts. Are these transformer balanced? I am assuming no eq?

I belive some may be transformer balanced but I will not know for sure until they arrive later this week. I am pretty sure some of the modules do have EQ. If there are not too many types I might just make a list and post it here.

Cheers

Ian

Playing around last night with the idea of bolting two of these frames together. It occurred to me I could build a 16 channel line in line out (LILO) mixer with pan and a couple of AUX sends per channel plus a couple of AUX returns and a few meters.

A while back I was commissioned to create an in line version of the REDD EQ with all four rotary switches in the same plane - I called it the Long REDD. I checked its dimensions it it will fit nicely in the long front piece above the fader. I am tempted to do a Helios 69 version as well.

Cheers

Ian

The mixers arrived this afternoon. I have unpacked one and removed the modules. So far I have the following modules available if anyone is interested in them:

Meter bridge EA700 series:

1.  EA739 Ducking
2. EA 706/1 6 channel intercom
3. EA704 console loudspeaker

So far I have one each of the above but by the time I unpack all four mixer I expect to have four of most of them. I also have some single and double width blanking modules

Main mixer modules for S340 mixer:

1.  S341U mono input with mic pre, 3 band EQ, AUX send and pan etc.

So far I have 12 of these. Unfortunately all but one has had the P&G fader stripped out and even the one that has it has a damaged tongue.

Judging by the date codes on the ICs, this one was born around 1994.

Let me know if anyone is interested in any of these modules.

Cheers

Ian

I had a chance to buy one of the EELA mixers a while back ,so I did a bit of checking into them .
Seemed like they had transformer balanced outputs alright ,mic ins were transformerless I believe.
Each channel contained a VCA ,the master channel contained the control circuits so that if a spike in program material occured ,the gain on all channels was reduced in equal proportion . Theres a number of different modules available for them ,mic, stereo line, telephone and usb. They were a very popular unit on small radio stations back in the day ,seem like theres a lot of them becoming available on the secondhand market now as many radio studios are changing over to computer based systems . Theres a guy in Holland called outlaw pa and recording ,he often has them going cheap .

Tubetec said:
I had a chance to buy one of the EELA mixers a while back ,so I did a bit of checking into them .
Seemed like they had transformer balanced outputs alright ,mic ins were transformerless I believe.
Yes, I checked the mic pre board and it uses an SSM2017  as the input stage which was probably state of the art when they were manufactured.
Each channel contained a VCA ,the master channel contained the control circuits so that if a spike in program material occured ,the gain on all channels was reduced in equal proportion .
Yes, there is what looks like a UV programmable micro on each channel card.
Theres a number of different modules available for them ,mic, stereo line, telephone and usb. They were a very popular unit on small radio stations back in the day ,seem like there's a lot of them becoming available on the secondhand market now as many radio studios are changing over to computer based systems . There's a guy in Holland called outlaw pa and recording ,he often has them going cheap .
Yes, I found outlaw. I have emailed them asking them to let me know if they get and EELA desks. When I took the first one apart you cold see where someone had spilled some liquid in it at some time.

If you know of any other good places to look for them let me know.

Edit: All the ICs are socketed. Each mic pre has the SSM2017 plus a couple of the plus 5532s and a bunch of TL072 so easy to upgrade/repair.
Cheers

Ian

Morning Ian ,
Ahah, those Dj types are murder for chomping down bacon butties and slurping coffee over the consoles .Accidents are bound to happen.

Its about a year ago I spotted the EELA for sale  ,I didnt buy it in the end ,I may still have the number of the girl who was selling it ,but I'll have to scout around for it ,even at that though theres no guarantee its still available . It was the one meter long version and included psu and a large 110v isolation transformer. I'll let you know about that .

Theres a buddy of mine locally who recently dismantled an Amek console . He has a large box of P&G log faders each on their own mounting plate with mute and pfl switches. Theres also some sifam ppm's , driver cards  and loads of led meters .
Stuff is all going at a knock down price .Just let me know if any of its of use to you .

I have now unpacked all four mixers so I have a large number of modules I do not need/want. I will advertise them in the black market but basically I am happy to let them go for the price of shipping/Paypal.  All ICs are on socket so easy to mod/upgrade or harvest.

Cheers

Ian

I have now removed all the modules and discovered an 'interesting fact' TM.

All the modules use the same basic metalwork. A folded piece of steel with holes punched in it for the controls AND the P&G fader. All the controls are in identical positions on all modules, only their function changes with the module. Even the blanking panels use the same folded steel piece with a blank faceplate attached. I guess it is a neat way of reducing manufacturing costs.

For me it means I can nick the folded metal parts from any blanking or unused modules and use them to make modules of my own. I just have to add a thin aluminium fascia panel with holes and legend for the actual controls I use.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back