PV2000 Amp Repair, where to look next?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iampoor1

Another repair on the bench stumping me.

Its a Peavy PV2000. I have tested all the transistors (Found 1 that was shorted), tested all the diodes, checked every capacitor for shorts (multimeter across both leads, making sure I am not getting 0 ohmns or anything low), and have checked for a shorted rail between both sides of the power amp, and every opamp connection.

Where should I look next? Everything I bring it up on the variac, it shorts out at about 30v, and blows a fuse/trips my bench current limiter.

Im just not sure how to troubleshoot something like this, and have never seen anything like this. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Peavey PV2000.pdf
    930.5 KB · Views: 9
Was the shorted transistor an output device? If it was, pound to a penny that more of them are dodgy. You might not pick it up with your DMM, but if power transistors have been 'shocked' by a shorted load, they will often malfunction on power up, even if they test 'ok' on a DMM. It's real bugger to troubleshoot, you will likely have to take each one out of circuit and check with a meter that can display reactively - I used an AVO analogue meter for this, as the needle gives a pretty good indication of any devices being 'off'.

Even a partially open driver transistor will put the whole output stage out of bias - very difficult to trace without removal, even for a seasoned tech.

Even a blown op-amp can upset the power stage enough to blow a fuse. Don't forget resistors too, especially bias resistors in the driver stages and emitter resistors on the output devices (although the latter will not in itself cause a short, any open emitters will stress the other devices once they are under heavy load).

I reckon this model is after JR's time, but he probably knows the topology better than any of us.

I know tooo much about the PV2000.... It was the PV1.3k before I added output devices making it more robust. (I was product manager).

If an output device is shorted there may be more associated parts also damaged...

Get familiar with transistor testing.

Do you have a variac/load box...?

JR

PS: It's spelled Peavey

JR

Does this amp have a triac crowbar on the output?

A shorted triac could cause this. Once the voltage is variaced/powerstatted up enough for the feedback to kick in, it could go full current limit trying to drive any DC output offset into a shorted triac, just as hard as it can.

If the amp previously failed to where it went DC, the triac would almost certainly be blown.

Gene

MagnetoSound said:
Was the shorted transistor an output device? If it was, pound to a penny that more of them are dodgy. You might not pick it up with your DMM, but if power transistors have been 'shocked' by a shorted load, they will often malfunction on power up, even if they test 'ok' on a DMM. It's real bugger to troubleshoot, you will likely have to take each one out of circuit and check with a meter that can display reactively - I used an AVO analogue meter for this, as the needle gives a pretty good indication of any devices being 'off'.

Even a partially open driver transistor will put the whole output stage out of bias - very difficult to trace without removal, even for a seasoned tech.

Yes it was. Funny you mention that, the voltage drops are not consistent on some of the parts. I also started testing the other "good" channel, and I noticed that after the amp start heating up the DDT protection circuitry would active at seeing random. Sometimes under full load, sometimes under 1/16th of a full load, and sometimes not at all for a few minutes at full load. I am certainly suspect of all of the output transistors now.  Unfortunatly, I dont think replacing them all is economical. :(

MagnetoSound said:
Even a blown op-amp can upset the power stage enough to blow a fuse. Don't forget resistors too, especially bias resistors in the driver stages and emitter resistors on the output devices (although the latter will not in itself cause a short, any open emitters will stress the other devices once they are under heavy load).

I reckon this model is after JR's time, but he probably knows the topology better than any of us.

Are there any tests to check for blown opamps, other than physical damage, shorted rails, or just not acting right in circuit? Maybe I should build a test jig for opamps...Testing them in circuit seems practical in most gear, with the exception of power amps of course! :'(

Thanks for those tips, I will check bias resistors in the future, I checked the emitter resistors (also do as a matter of precaution) and then all read .33 ohms, or thereabouts.

JohnRoberts said:
I know tooo much about the PV2000.... It was the PV1.3k before I added output devices making it more robust. (I was product manager).

If an output device is shorted there may be more associated parts also damaged...

Get familiar with transistor testing.

Do you have a variac/load box...?

JR

PS: It's spelled Peavey

JR

So are you responsible for the nifty little addon module with 4 transistors per side?  8)
I like how the circuit uses the standoffs!

Yes I do, unfortunalty, its only a 4amp variac...so its a bit small for this amp. I have a big bank of load resistors too.

Gene Pink said:
Does this amp have a triac crowbar on the output?

A shorted triac could cause this. Once the voltage is variaced/powerstatted up enough for the feedback to kick in, it could go full current limit trying to drive any DC output offset into a shorted triac, just as hard as it can.

If the amp previously failed to where it went DC, the triac would almost certainly be blown.

Gene

Yes it does, I checked that along with all of the diodes.
I spoke with the owner of the amp today....it got sprayed by sprinklers during full power at a DJ gig. I guess that explains the corrosion on one of the boards.

CJ said:
pull all the pwr transistors and and bring up the variac  to see where the smoke comes from,

At this point, I think thats my only option. Time to remove all the transistors......for the third time.  :'(

iampoor1 said:
Yes it was.
Output power devices are the most common failure in power amps.
Funny you mention that, the voltage drops are not consistent on some of the parts. I also started testing the other "good" channel, and I noticed that after the amp start heating up the DDT protection circuitry would active at seeing random.
DDT basically compares output to input and triggers whenever output is not correct, so it will trigger from clipping, or current limiting, or even too much distortion (rarely).
Sometimes under full load, sometimes under 1/16th of a full load, and sometimes not at all for a few minutes at full load. I am certainly suspect of all of the output transistors now.  Unfortunatly, I dont think replacing them all is economical. :(
Power transistors don't fail as softly as small signal drivers. Once you get it powered up without smoking you can look at the emitter degeneration resistors voltage drop to see if any of the power transistors are not sharing current equally (a sign of problems).
Are there any tests to check for blown opamps, other than physical damage, shorted rails, or just not acting right in circuit?
op amps will generally work or not...in that amp probably a cheap op amp in a socket, so if suspect just change it but more common faults are power transistors and associated drive circuitry.
Maybe I should build a test jig for opamps...Testing them in circuit seems practical in most gear, with the exception of power amps of course! :'(

Thanks for those tips, I will check bias resistors in the future, I checked the emitter resistors (also do as a matter of precaution) and then all read .33 ohms, or thereabouts.
the emitter degeneration resistors are pretty robust designed to tolerate massive overload (for short time) so unlikely to be bad.
So are you responsible for the nifty little addon module with 4 transistors per side?  8)
I like how the circuit uses the standoffs!
No I did not do the packaging... by that time I was no longer doing engineering as my primary job duty but product management (feature set definition, marketing, etc). I was responsible for all Peavey power amps (and more).

You can take the boy out of engineering, but you can't take the engineer out of the boy, so when that amp series got refreshed I made an engineering call that the new improved PV2000 needed more output devices than the former PV 1.3k.  The PV amp series was an exercise in making low cost amps and IMO they cut one corner too many.  As product manager I had responsibility for pricing and profit margin so made the relatively unusual decision to add cost (2 more power devices per channel IIRC). I was more than willing to take slightly less profit, to sell a more robust power amp.  Happiness is not having to get all those service calls... but stuff still happens apparently. Just be glad you have the 2000 and not the old 1.3k hand grenade (had thermal runaway issues).
Yes I do, unfortunalty, its only a 4amp variac...so its a bit small for this amp. I have a big bank of load resistors too.
If the amp is running with no load a 4A variac is more than adequate to bring it up for testing. An old school trick is to wire a 100W  light bulb in series with the amp line cord to serve as a fault current limiter, during troubleshooting.

Yes it does, I checked that along with all of the diodes.
I spoke with the owner of the amp today....it got sprayed by sprinklers during full power at a DJ gig. I guess that explains the corrosion on one of the boards.

At this point, I think thats my only option. Time to remove all the transistors......for the third time.  :'(
The PV2000 is one of the last old class AB heavy iron dinosaurs... so a pretty simple design.  Bring it up to voltage and see what is not behaving properly.

Of course be careful probing around inside a power amp under power, as a slipped probe could cause another failure.

JR 

> product management (feature set definition, marketing, etc)

Then you OK-ed the spec-sheet?

I know this series was not supposed to cost an arm and a leg. So what's up with the power consumption?

Specifications
--- PV® 900 --- PV® 1500 --- PV® 2600
POWER CONSUMPTION:
--- 5.0 ARMS --- 7.0 ARMS --- 7.0 ARMS
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/peavey-900-owners-manual-41880.pdf

Back