Can somebody identify this mixer?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldanders

Hi, I bought this little three-channel mono mixer last week online for really cheap. However, I am unable to find any information about it online - I actually don't even know what the name of the company is. It reads "UNIMUG" to me, but friend Google doesn't spit out anything useful, only links to Unimog trucks.
It will need some repair, it seems to hipass-filter any signal quite a lot. I removed the back, and there are Studer transformers in it . The top part that you can unscrew is the PS, there's a torroid in there from a German company, according to the label produced in 1988.

Thanks a lot for any help and kind regards.

Attachments

• B-100_Mixer.jpg
    B-100_Mixer.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 85
With the feature set on that ,looks like a small portable outside broadcast mixer ,designed to run off batteries as well as mains ,its an interesting little beast ,like anything made for broadcast looks like very high quality, its a nice find and well worth getting fixed up .Maybe one of our German contributors can point you in the right direction .

1988 appears to be the approximate year of production.  It is not really a mixer, it is a box for reporters like in a football stadium or for ENG (Electronic News Gathering).

Input is either from a (reporter-)microphone (headset) or a line signal, like from a video-machine.  It can be battery operated if there is no AC-outlet available.  The banana jacks are for the connection to a 2-wire/4-wire telephone line with a level of +15dBm (4,4V AC).

A nice toy but not much use for it today.

analogguru said:
1988 appears to be the approximate year of production.  It is not really a mixer, it is a box for reporters like in a football stadium or for ENG (Electronic News Gathering).
I used to make dozens of them in the last century. Audio performance was not a primordial constraint.  Robustness and fool-proof operation was. The line receiver had to be capable of handling the 80Vac call-tone, and the line driver had to be capable of sending the same 80V call-tone.
The demand for them came to a halt when ISDN became commonly available on sites. There was a short transitory period when I designed boxes that "talked" to ISDN modems. I don't know what they use today - I've been out of broadcast since about 1995 - I suspect there are dedicated boxes that connect directly to the internet, or maybe they just Skype???

A nice toy but not much use for it today.
[/quote]

Latest posts

Back