PCBway doing a free PCB, ideal for my first eq project.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rna

I thought I would share a video I made for a PCBway offer.  If you make a video for them you can get a free PCB with free shipping.  Thus escaping the minimum order.  This eq design I am working on is my largest project to date so if I can get the first one free to test would be awesome.
And to make it more fun the first person to guess which classic eq it is loosely based on  I will send a free pcb set IF/WHEN I get the first run done.

https://youtu.be/ccF7boomZR8

EDIT-------------This ended up being a $30 voucher with PCBway stating "Usually the size of our client's pcb below 100mm*100mm,so it will cover the total cost(freight included)"

I am very interested in the rotary switches you use on the front panel. They do not look like any I am familiar with. Who makes them?

Cheers

Ian

Yeah this is the ultra sexy NKK MR-K112.

Attachments

• nkk.jpg
    nkk.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 99
rna said:
Yeah this is the ultra sexy NKK MR-K112.

I have always been a bit puzzled by their data sheet. Do the shafts have an odd profile? Do they come with a knob? Can you fit other knobs to them?

Cheers

Ian

I just watched your other video about using aluminium PCbs as front panels. I posted a query on youtube but I will repeat it here. You ended up with an aluminium PCB that had a black front with white lettering. In the video my recollection is you said you set the silk screen to black so I am puzzled how you got white lettering.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I just watched your other video about using aluminium PCbs as front panels. I posted a query on youtube but I will repeat it here. You ended up with an aluminium PCB that had a black front with white lettering. In the video my recollection is you said you set the silk screen to black so I am puzzled how you got white lettering.

Cheers

Ian
oops I guess I meant to say black solder mask with white silk screen

rna said:
oops I guess I meant to say black solder mask with white silk screen

Thanks for that. I have never used an aluminium PCB before. I notice they are generally single sided. On a regular single sided PCB, the tracks and solder resist are on one side of the PCB and the silk screen is on the other. How did you manage to get the solder mask ans silk screen on the same side?

Cheers

Ian

You can put solder mask on any side and silk screen on any side with solder mask.
I can not remember ever seeing silk screen with no mask though.

rna said:
You can put solder mask on any side and silk screen on any side with solder mask.
I can not remember ever seeing silk screen with no mask though.

I have been doing some checking and it appears the track side for single sided aluminium is the top, as is the silk screen so the solder resist has to be on top too.

Cheers

Ian

When I do an aluminium front panel I don't use it for traces it literally just a front panel.

rna said:
When I do an aluminium front panel I don't use it for traces it literally just a front panel.

Yes, I had realised that. I think this is an incredible way to make front panels. Ideal for prototypes. I make lots of 3U high panels that are 2.8 inches wide for my tube mixer modules and this should be ideal for them. I have even come across some PCB vendors that will add countersinking or threaded holes to them.

Do you still have to provide an (empty) Gerber file for the top layer or would it be bottom layer (.GTL or GBL).?

Cheers

Ian

Ian, when you request a pcb without cooper be sure to select 1 layer then you will have more options like cooper layer - none.
it will save you a lot of time.  I didn´t know this and it caused a lot of confusions.

hey ruffrecords pm me your email and I will send you a zip of my berbers for that front panel
I can't upload a zip here

Just checking my diptrace file and I did fill the front panel with copper and it is all on the top layer.
If you have disgrace I will send you that file if you would like

Latest posts

Back