Stancor WF-34 output transformer info

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatnik

I have just purchased a Stancor WF-34 output transformer from evilbay

The seller listed the part as 15k Pri x 50,125/150,200,250,333,500/600 Ohm Sec

I thought this would have been perfect for a LA-2A output but...

I didn't pay close attention to the pictures where could be seen that the transformer has in fact only 5 wire terminals

The fact that the connections are on flying leads is already strange by itself - from the pictures that I found online the WF series normally has tab terminals like the UTC A-series

But having only 5 connections point means it's impossible that this transformer has got a multi tap secondary !

I actually cannot find the WF-34 in any of the Stancor catalogs, they only show the WF-35 which has a similar impedance ratio

I am wondering wether this transformer has been tampered with , or it could actually be a custom made product

Maybe any of the experts around here has got some information about this transformer ?

I haven't received it yet, but to be honest I am not really sure I will be lucky to get a 15K/600 impedance , I have the feeling this might be something different

I attached a picture. Would be great to hear if someone ever came across any of these

Attachments

• stancor wf-34.jpg
    stancor wf-34.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 26
Stancor 1952 catalog confirms the seller's specs.  How you get that from 5 wires is beyond me.  Also, diagram shows WF as having terminals, not flying leads.

Attachments

• Stancor WF.png
    Stancor WF.png
    403.2 KB · Views: 20
I'm gonna call that a DIY re-stuffed case of some type.  It should have a terminal board.  Does that look original or tampered?

But having only 5 connections point means it's impossible that this transformer has got a multi tap secondary !

Not quite.

If the secondary uses a dual/split winding like many UTC's did, then it will have 6 leads - and it will take two leads to form a single CT

However, if the sec is a single winding that is tapped, as UTC and others also did on some designs, then there will only be a single lead for the CT = 5 wires to get the same number of combinations.

A quick check of the DCR symmetry will let you know if that's the case. 

that makes sense, however the catalog page says there are 6 different impedance values available on the secondary, 50,125/150,200,250,333,500/600

on this transformer the 5 leads available 2 are for the primary, so we are left with only 3 wires for the secondary, these are not enough to offer 6 impedance settings

i didn't see a picture of the connections side, but i am pretty sure that this has been tampered with

could be that they had a broken connection on one of the terminals, so they ditched the plate and hard wired the necessary connections.

but it could be also that the transformer has been completely re wound. in fact the seller didn't test this in circuit, only performed basic dcr tests

i think i am going to cancel this purchase

thanks for your advice

Back