Modular Tube Preamp System

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holger

GDIY Supporter
I've recently finished a system rack and one module of my 10 HP 3 RU system.
The module contains 2 mic pre amps based on the TLA Ian Thompson-Bell has designed.
The 10 HP design allows to stuff 16 pre amps into a 19" 3 U rack or, as seen in my first attempt, to put 8 pre amps plus PSU into a 19" "Baugruppenträger".
28 + 10 HP were used for the PSU, there is a remainder of 6 HP when stuffed with 4 modules HP. Non used space is currently filled with whatever I found...

modul%203.jpg

Module:

modul%202.jpg

Frequency response:

modul%20fr.png

Noise floor:

modul%20nf.png

Nice work Holger ,
Any  links to music you have recorded with Ians system online ?
The story about the SSL owner turning pale when he heard the Krassmonster was classic ,stands to reason in alot of ways ,I'd imagine you have the equivalent of thousands of transistors for the signal to pass through in a big SSL

Tubetec said:
Nice work Holger ,
Any  links to music you have recorded with Ians system online ?
The story about the SSL owner turning pale when he heard the Krassmonster was classic ,stands to reason in alot of ways ,I'd imagine you have the equivalent of thousands of transistors for the signal to pass through in a big SSL

This should be answered in another thread.

Holger look's very pro , by the way, were did you get the screw's for the front panels, do you have a part number.

cheer

skal1

skal1 said:
Holger look's very pro , by the way, were did you get the screw's for the front panels, do you have a part number.

cheer

skal1

Most of the sub-rack manufacturers supply these but usually only as part of a sub-rack kit. Surprisingly few seem to offer the screws separately. Fischer seems to be the exception.

Cheers

Ian

very nice

how did you connect the back ? it seems there is a pcb backplane ?

do you use an off the shelf chassis system for the sub-modules ?

I`ve designed a new backplane PCB for the system since the "old" version is 14 HP wide.
You can buy some of the module stuff from stores like www.reichelt.de
but it is also possible to buy from the manufacturer directly.

That's a nice job you did getting it all packaged Holger, both of them  :)

Are you using individual pin sockets for each tube pin?  I can't see a ceramic or otherwise main body of a tube socket in the pics

Winston O'Boogie said:
Are you using individual pin sockets for each tube pin?  I can't see a ceramic or otherwise main body of a tube socket in the pics
Good catch! I didn’t notice that but it’s a great idea

Latest posts

Back