VHT Special 6 git amp no power

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
offshore Champ knockoff with a few changes like a pull boost,

no sound,  looks like this, 10 inch speak,

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 19
schematic with voltages,  has Triode/Pentode switch which places the screen to the plate or to a tap on the B+ supply,

Attachments

• VHT Special 6 Voltages.jpg
    VHT Special 6 Voltages.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 24
do a repair without bootlegging the xfmr?    never!

15/16" tongue on the 93 EI lam, only other place we have seen this is on the Fischer 100 OPT ,

nice sounding lam, 1/16" shorter tongue than the popular 100 EI, 

butt stacked for DC,

Attachments

• xfmr.jpg
    xfmr.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 17
scope shots of sq wave response and overdrive waveform,

how does it sound? loud with 10" speak, nice practice amp , has ext spk jacks for clubs,

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 5
Looks like a nice enough amp ,the point to point wiring I was surprised to see in there ,plenty of scope for modding.
I added a triode pentode switch on a peavey Nano valve I have ,it also cuts in and out an extra resistor on the cathode to correct the bias in the two different opperating modes, 1.5 or 5 watts . Those Chinese tubes are a false economy ,the surplus Russian mil spec stuff is great value for money.Great idea to keep dossier of all the transformers too.

I managed to fluke a repair on a big beast of a hiwatt 200 I got years ago ,one side of the primary was cooked ,as luck would have it ,the arcing was at one end of the final layer of windings and a little black hole in the outer insulation gave away the location, lent it to a good buddy of mine to use as a bass amp for a year ,he swore he never had a better sound before or since .

Back