Slate VRS type stuff

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobdirt

I cant afford it it's too expensive even without the mics but so tempting, first as a concept and also since it seems well put together without much compromise to parts etc. .
Any alternatives to this type of a system? Even fewer channels will do to save cost.

Another "item" i have been looking for live stuff is a box in which i can load plugins and so far it's the laptop and an interface but a standalone unit with unbalanced ins/outs doing the same thing would be great..

Thanks, any input appreciated..

mobdirt said:
I cant afford it it's too expensive even without the mics but so tempting, first as a concept and also since it seems well put together without much compromise to parts etc. .

Don't believe in everything you read, including reviews.
An expensive price tag don't always reflect the quality.

Any alternatives to this type of a system? Even fewer channels will do to save cost.

Focusrite Clarett8 Pre.
Same Thunderbolt interface, more channel count, and cost 1/2 of the VRS8 (Sweetwater price tag)

Another "item" i have been looking for live stuff is a box in which i can load plugins and so far it's the laptop and an interface but a standalone unit with unbalanced ins/outs doing the same thing would be great..

That would be Waves DigiGrid, or Antelope Audio Orion32 HD.
Both feature a built-in DSP power to run their own plugins.

Or, you can go with something like the old Roland VS24.

metalb00b00 said:
Don't believe in everything you read, including reviews.
An expensive price tag don't always reflect the quality.

Focusrite Clarett8 Pre.
Same Thunderbolt interface, more channel count, and cost 1/2 of the VRS8 (Sweetwater price tag)

That would be Waves DigiGrid, or Antelope Audio Orion32 HD.
Both feature a built-in DSP power to run their own plugins.

Or, you can go with something like the old Roland VS24.

Just my opinion,  but...

Since  you're on a DIY forum,  how about building some of your own mic pres? You get a bunch of flavors to use for a long time.  Then just pair it with a decent interface. I tend to like separate units over all in one solutions.

There are also old versions of modelers like Antares mic you could probably get cheap or even free if budget is an issue.  But again I would say just buying or bullding a few different mics is a better long term solution.

john12ax7 said:
Just my opinion,  but...

Since  you're on a DIY forum,  how about building some of your own mic pres? You get a bunch of flavors to use for a long time.  Then just pair it with a decent interface. I tend to like separate units over all in one solutions.

There are also old versions of modelers like Antares mic you could probably get cheap or even free if budget is an issue.  But again I would say just buying or bullding a few different mics is a better long term solution.
Thank you John12ax7, i have only made passive preamp circuits for my bass maybe i should try making a case for a separate unit now, I have been checking mic mods on youtube and am also thinking of getting a cheap mic to use the casing and change the components..
The only thing i dont like about a modular approach is that sometimes  the signal chain is not as "direct" or "clean" as i would like it to be.

I can't tell about the VRS stuff in general, but a friend of mine reverse-engineered the virtual-microphone hardware (mic+pre) and was positively underwhelmed to the degree that he wouldn't let me publish details...

Jakob E.

if you build some nice pres, they will last as long as you need them to... and they will always sound like the real thing, you’ll never wonder if a real 312 or 1073 circuit would be better... I can’t say the same about modeling based pres.  I also enjoy choosing my own components, and knowing that I have something that is at least slightly unique to me. 

As far as worrying about lengths of cable between gear or something goes, I wouldn’t worry about it unless you are in a large studio where you could potentially have hundreds of feet of cable from the patch bay to the mic... and if you are worried about it, put the pre in the recording room, with a short cable to the mic,  a good pre will drive cables of just about any practical length.

I know it’s probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but just my 2cents...

gyraf said:
I can't tell about the VRS stuff in general, but a friend of mine reverse-engineered the virtual-microphone hardware (mic+pre) and was positively underwhelmed to the degree that he wouldn't let me publish details...

Jakob E.

Okay, usually english is not a problem to me, but it isn't my native language......
So.....  "Positively underwhelmed".....  What the %#& does that mean ?!?  That it fantasticly sucks ?

helterbelter said:
Okay, usually english is not a problem to me, but it isn't my native language......
So.....  "Positively underwhelmed".....  What the %#& does that mean ?!?  That it fantasticly sucks ?

Very unimpressed.

Cheers

Ian

mobdirt said:

The simplest one is using "Waves Multirack"
It's just a simple software, you load the waves plugins you want to use into it and you just need a simple soundcard with Ins and Outs

Back