Will Octal one bottle drive x-former and unbalanced out simultaneously?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vintagelove

Hello and thanks for looking. Quick question, will an octal one bottle drive an output transformer and an unbalanced out simultaneously?

Or, whats the best way to get two  outs from a one bottle?

Thanks again.

vintagelove said:
Hi, I was thinking the NYD sn7 circuit. Thanks again.

In which case the answer depends on the loads you apply to the balanced and unbalanced outputs. If you have a 600 ohm load on the balanced out then there is not much chance of a 6SN7 being able to drive anything useful into an unbalanced load as well. What balanced and unbalanced loads did you have in mind?

Cheeers

ian

ruffrecords said:
In which case the answer depends on the loads you apply to the balanced and unbalanced outputs. If you have a 600 ohm load on the balanced out then there is not much chance of a 6SN7 being able to drive anything useful into an unbalanced load as well. What balanced and unbalanced loads did you have in mind?

Cheeers

ian

Hello and thanks again for responding.

I'm beginning the process of building my own mixer. It will be modular in the sense that the preamps will be separate from the mixer. I wanted to drive the converters directly from the preamp, while monitoring it on the mixer as well.

The converters are 10k, but ideally it would be able to drive 2 600 ohm loads.

I'm still considering what's absolutely required, so any input you might have would be welcomed.

Ironically, the original preamp design (srpp), come to find out wasn't all that different from your ez mixer pre. Although it sounds very good, I'd really like to use octal tubes.

Thanks again.

A key question if this is to be an element of a mixer is just how far apart are the preamps from the mixer?

The original NYD one bottle was designed to drive a 10K unbalanced load. It was alter modified to add a 15K/600 output transformer so it could drive a 600 ohm load. If you want it to simultaneously drive a pair of 600 ohm loads I think you are out of luck. It might drive a 10K load via the transformer and another 10K or higher unbalanced load directly.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
A key question if this is to be an element of a mixer is just how far apart are the preamps from the mixer?

The original NYD one bottle was designed to drive a 10K unbalanced load. It was alter modified to add a 15K/600 output transformer so it could drive a 600 ohm load. If you want it to simultaneously drive a pair of 600 ohm loads I think you are out of luck. It might drive a 10K load via the transformer and another 10K or higher unbalanced load directly.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks so much, that's what I needed to know.

The preamps will just be a short 8 inch cable or so away.

Another thought, was using a transformer with a split secondary to accomplish the task. Something like 10k:600:600

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of one of those commercially available. If anyone knows of one, I'm all ears.

Or perhaps a split secondary transformer on the input of the mixer. 600:600:600. So the preamp goes out into the mixer input transformer, one secondary goes into the mixer, the other to a direct out.

At this point I'm still weighing if that function if really necessary.

Thanks again.

8 inches should be fine for running an unbalanced line from the (relatively) high impedance unbalanced output. You could use 47K pots on the mixer input.

There probably are 10K:600+600 output transformers - there are certainly types with an extra winding for negative feedback - no reason why you could not use this for the mixer tap.

There are certainly 600:600:600 mic splitters but you need something that will work at line level.

If converter input impedance is 10K then you could just use a 10K:10K input transformer in the mixer and daisy chain the pre signal from one to the other.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back