System 428. 8 Channel Modular Rack.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahib

Although the idea started a while ago in another thread I thought of starting a new one dedicated to this particular project.

The idea is primarily a 4U, 8 channel, open platform base unit for a variety of use.

The module width is 2" and 250mm deep (less the edge connector height).

There are two separate backplanes. The connections between them are through eight 26 way ribbon cables. Fundamentally one 26 way ribbon per channel.

One backplane is for interfacing with the modules through the card edge connectors.

The other backplane is for interfacing with the outside world through XLR, TRS and DB25 connectors.

Only the inputs and outputs are available at the DB25 connectors in Tascam standard.

All the buses are terminated with box headers for cascading. So, the system can expand in 8 channel blocks.

The current rear panel is designed in 500 standard fashion but I am looking into other future alternatives.

I had only one pair of card edge connector samples but the rest will be in my hand by mid December.  I will then complete the entire project.

In terms of the power supply I am keeping solid state and valve supplies separately. I have plenty of  board options for the solid state. I will also be using my standard floorbox case. So not much work needed there. All I have to do is to design a new regulated HT.

I will be supplying the complete rack and/or individual components such as the backplanes and the rear panel, bear rack metalwork and module metalwork.

As it is an open platform I will make all the dimensions available.

Although I have not fitted yet rail voltage status LEDS (9 of them) are available on the RHS mounting bracket. There will also be two switches on the top and bottom to remotely control the floorbox power supplies so that you do not have to crawl behind the rack cabinet to turn them on/off.
z1.JPG

Rear panel.  DB25 connectors are for INPUT 1 /1-8,  INPUT 2 / 1-8, OUTPUT 1 /1-8 and OUTPUT 2 / 1-8.
z2.JPG

Typical channel arrangement.
z3.JPG

Card edge backplane (front view) for interfacing with the modules.
Notice the four control busses. The jumpers are for isolating a specific buss for a specific channel. Say you want to assign one of the buses for stereo linking of two compressors fitted in channel 1 and 2. Remove the respective jumper after channel 2. Now the buss only works between channel 1 and channel 2. You can break it up on the consecutive channels in the same fashion too.
z5a.jpg

Card edge backplane rear view showing the box headers for connections to the XLR backplane, and the DC power connections.
The leads are soldered directly onto the board.
z5b.JPG

XLR backplane rear and front view, showing the connections to the external world and the box headers for connections to the card edge backplane.
z6.jpg

z7.jpg

Card edge connections to the module. I have also designed an adapter card so that  you can drop in any design you have in hand (provided that it fits) into the module metalwork and hard wire the audio and power connections straight onto the adapter card.
z8.jpg

z9.jpg

Thank you gentlemen.

ruffrecords said:
I am sure we discussed this at some but bit is the backplane PCB compatible with regular DI standard sub-racks?

Cheers

ian

Hi Ian,

Card edge connector pitch follows the Euro rack standard. In other words, the module width is 50.8mm.  The card edge connector centre is 15.24mm off-set to the left of the module center.

Backplane mounting holes are on the same axes as the card edge connectors. So they also follow the same standard. However, the distance between the centers of the top and bottom backplane mounting holes is 166mm. You have to check this.

sahib said:
However, the distance between the centers of the top and bottom backplane mounting holes is 166mm. You have to check this.

Hang on a minute, 166mm is greater than 3U. Have I missed something? Wasn't this system originally going to be 4U high??

Cheers

Ian

My apologies.

I have no idea where the hell 3U came from.  I have a lot going on these days.  With juggling two studies ( full time EEE at a local uni, and part time maths at open university ), work, a wild teenager son and a wife is quite heavy going. Good job I don't keep pets.

The rack is 4U ( I have amended the thread header). 

The backplane centres sit at 166mm, plus 5mm on the top and bottom edges makes it up to 176mm. Plus 2 x 1.5mm material thickness and the total rack height is 177.5mm, hence 4U.

I too was wondering about this.  It would be useful to put the pinout in the first post so everyone knows what connections are available.  I like the idea of the jumpers on the buses.

Maybe too early but any idea on ballpark pricing?

This is a seriously fantastic idea and the system  implementation  looks to be of a very high standard :)

Look forward to reading more on this work of yours in the future!

This system nd some of your Mic Pre and EQ modules would be just awesome.

Thank you gentlemen. Apologies for the delay in responding. I got quite snowed under and completely forgot about this. I was also waiting for the remaining card edge connectors. However, they all arrived now and I will complete the rack immediately after Christmas.

@ John12xa7

I have not worked out the cost yet but this will depend on the quantity manufactured. So, this will heavily depend on the number of interest.

Last edited:
Thank you.

I have plenty of linear regulator board options with current output of up to 5A. So, the heater is taken care of . I have not designed the HT yet but I will start to work on it towards the end of this week.

Just looking at this again sahib and every thing looks thought of and accounted for. I might just have to go down this route someday after I finish mine as it looks so well thought out

Thank you.

The part of the plan has been to provide a platform for an expandable, rack mount mixer. So, I hope this will stimulate new ideas in module design.

Latest posts

Back