Studio 939/Chunger still in business?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wordsushi

GDIY Supporter
Does anyone know if Studio 939/Chunger is still doing business?

I put in an order through the Studio 939 web store over a couple of weeks ago and received an automated confirmation email back, but I haven't received my order yet. Because we're having a rash of packages getting stolen from front doorsteps in LA, especially during the holidays, I emailed Chunger to ask about tracking info a couple of days ago and never heard back.

I've ordered from Studio 939 before and I know they ship Priority Mail from here in California so there should be tracking info available. I just wish they would send that tracking info to the customer with a heads up that the package is coming so I can make sure it doesn't get stolen.

I'm eternally grateful that the DIY community has a place like Studio939 as a critical parts resource. I know it's a very small operation, but I'm not thrilled about their lack of the kind of customer communication I've gotten used to from other vendors.

If anyone knows the status of their business operations, please post. I'm wondering if will need to initiate a refund through Paypal, which I'd rather not do but it's a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff.

Thanks Bruno2000. Good to know. That's a relief.

Ericbazaar, what email address did you use? I'm going to try emailing him again today. This is not the first time I've emailed him and not gotten a response so maybe I'm using the wrong address?

Several weeks ago he posted that he is working on a new mic kit, so I think he's pretty occupied right now...
Cheers
Moshe

Wordsushi said:
Thanks Bruno2000. Good to know. That's a relief.

Ericbazaar, what email address did you use? I'm going to try emailing him again today. This is not the first time I've emailed him and not gotten a response so maybe I'm using the wrong address?

[email protected]

lkipod said:
Several weeks ago he posted that he is working on a new mic kit, so I think he's pretty occupied right now...
Cheers
Moshe

Sweet. Looking forward to seeing whatever he has coming next. Hopefully not to busy though to get orders out the door.

Ericbazaar:
Thanks!

I ordered something a couple weeks ago, same thing.  I got a shipping notice a couple hours after saying something on here, and it showed up shortly thereafter, no issues.

I’ve had 939 stuff not ship out until a month later; I’ve had stuff shipped out a few days later... Think it just depends on how busy he is. I’ve never heard him not coming-through for anyone,  so I wouldn’t worry.

So you know that thing about asking and receiving? Guess what showed up on my doorstep just now?

Yeah, I'm a big panic monkey. The local news had a segment on Monday morning about "porch pirates",  the growing scourge of package thievery in Los Angeles (and I'm sure everywhere else as well), so I got to worrying.

So, pardon my psychosis. Again, I"m thrilled to have a place to order mic parts like these. I'd just be less inclined to worry if I knew when my package was going to land, but if that's what it is to get my mic parts fix, I guess I'll deal.

Ordered many times from Studio939 and never had a problem.
But sometimes it can take some time, I think he processes a certain number of orders in one time.

It might sound crazy, but over here on the other side of the pond, there's a simple solution that post / delivery companies use, so that "porch pirates" are a moot point - packages aren't left on the porch ::)

If it's a home-delivery package, you need to sign for it; otherwise, you just get a notice, and then you have to go pick it up from the post office that handles your area code.

Khron said:
It might sound crazy, but over here on the other side of the pond, there's a simple solution that post / delivery companies use, so that "porch pirates" are a moot point - packages aren't left on the porch ::)

If it's a home-delivery package, you need to sign for it; otherwise, you just get a notice, and then you have to go pick it up from the post office that handles your area code.
We're supposed to have an identical system here (France), but it turns out sometimes the pick-up boy delivers to an other address, gets the receipt signed by a perfect unknown, and you're effed up big time! I don't know if they do it purposedly or out of sheer stupidity - probably a combo of both.

abbey road d enfer said:
We're supposed to have an identical system here (France), but it turns out sometimes the pick-up boy delivers to an other address, gets the receipt signed by a perfect unknown, and you're effed up big time! I don't know if they do it purposedly or out of sheer stupidity - probably a combo of both.

Were you ever able to resolve this when it happened – either by the post telling you who they delivered it to, or with a succesful insurance payout?

Same thing just happened in Germany...

Banzai said:
Were you ever able to resolve this when it happened – either by the post telling you who they delivered it to, or with a succesful insurance payout?
Not in a satisfactory manner. The most frustrating happenstance was for a Spanish ham. The post office said they were not at fault, since "someone" had signed the receipt (illegible script), so I wrote to the supplier, who did not really believe me, but he had to make a commercial gesture, so he sent me another ham, but of a much lower quality than expected.
It happened several times with books from the UK or US; I believe they end up being thrown out because nobody in my vicinity reads books in English. It happened twice with a Chinese supplier of power banks, who sweared they had shipped the stuff, and kept saying "please be patient" for months. They finally reimbursed me. I don't know if it's a problem of delivery or if the supplier just did not ship.

Banzai said:

Same thing just happened in Germany...

That's absolutely normal procedure in Germany. If you aren't at home, they will ask a neighbor to accept the package for you, you get a notification in your post box that your neighbor has the package, no problem at all. If nobody is there to take it, then you will get a notification to pick it up at the post office.

volker said:
That's absolutely normal procedure in Germany. If you aren't at home, they will ask a neighbor to accept the package for you, you get a notification in your post box that your neighbor has the package, no problem at all. If nobody is there to take it, then you will get a notification to pick it up at the post office.

That's normal procedure. What I mean is a package that's been signed for by a complete unknown, at an unknown address, and lost forever.

In my case the Deutsche Post is claiming the shipment was delivered to an address 12km's away in a different postcode (!)... Problem is, the supposed address they delivered to, it doesn't even exist. No way of going there or contacting them to retrieve it.

volker said:
In my case, as for Banzai, it's been signed by a complete unknown, in an unknown place.

Khron said:

It's definitely one way to do it. I don't remember if there was some way to indicate a "signature required" inclusion on the shipping at 939, but I'd like to guess it could be requested. The problem for a lot of folks is that the post office is only open during business hours which can create an issue for people who work 9-5, and especially in LA, if where you work is 30-60 minutes drive away from home (which is not uncommon here), so even making a lunch run to the post office is hard.

UPS is even more challenging in my situation since they don't deliver during the weekend and to have to pick up your package at their office, would mean a fairly long and inconvenient drive from where I live.

Generally though, since I work from home and the UPS guy and my mail carrier show up at pretty much the same times every day, it's not a problem to get a package here if I have tracking info and know which day it's going to arrive, so I have kept home delivery as my main choice. Even when packages come later in the day, if I have tracking I can get a text on my phone to let me know it's on my doorstep. Modern e-commerce has gotten me used to having that tracking info.

I know there's crime everywhere, but here in L.A., especially over the past couple of years, it's gotten way, way out of hand. Not only just property crime and  burglary, but last year they found a guy murdered and burned up in a torched car just around the corner from me. (I have an alibi). And I live in one of the statistically safest neighborhoods in the city. Still, the porch pirates run rampant here and rather than drag them up the street and burn them in a car (did I say that out loud?), I'll just have any future 939 orders sent to my wife's office.

Latest posts

Back