Simple Dub Siren circuit trouble

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaraxisof

Hi there, i tried to build this simple dub siren from www.jacoblysgaard.com , i  used this schematic: https://www.jacoblysgaard.com/2009/08/dyi-dub-siren-%E2%80%93-the-complete-rubdown/#jp-carousel-2583
and i only changed  the polarity of 220uF and used a diode 4001, something like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B196Ckm5zNKhbjhxTW83ckt5X2c/view  (updated)

But i get no output signal at all, the only thing i can hear is this "tapping/clicking" sound when i turn the pots. The pots work and function, i can hear the operations of each pot but the "sound" is a click/pop, no wave signal. I have checked the connections 5 times and all is OK.  I also measured with multimeter the voltages at IC555's and the problem was at IC1. PIN8 (+VC) is 8,20V., but PIN3(OUT) was 0,01V. I replaced the IC1 with a new one but again i get 0,01-6,20V at output PIN3. It varies in this range, it isnt stable. I have changed the IC1 3 times but the same results.  Maybe now it works cause i have smthing at least (even if its not stable-the first time was exactly 0,01)
I have read the comments in link's page but didnt found a solution. Has this schematic other problems/errors except for the 220uF capacitor polarity?

People say at the comments that the second schem https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B196Ckm5zNKhbjhxTW83ckt5X2c/view works well. Is there any difference comparing with the first schem except for that 220uF polarity (and the optional diode) that i don't see there?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

You should probably look into how the 555 really works (lots of great explanations in the net already) .

From this you will know how to get the first stage working. IC1+IC3. This signal from first stage seems to be low frequencies (heavily lowpassed by 47uF at output) used for simple modulation of stage2 (IC2).

Once you have that rolling, and can detect some low-frequency components at the output of the modulation depth potentiometer going to IC3pin3, and also at the output pin (pin6) of the 741, you can start getting the second 555 circuit running.

Jakob E.

Thank you Jakob for your reply, appreciate.  As you can guess i am beginner in electronics, i have already see the internal 555 circuit but could't make 100% sense of it  :p .  I dont know if i understand clearly your words (not your fault of course) but you suppose i may have to do changes on schem or values of some components? Could you please be more specific on this?

Thanks again  :-\

Yeap i ve already see that.  I ve understand the non-stability voltage of pin3(out) ("Pin 3 (output) switches from 'low' (close to zero volts) to 'high' (close to Vcc)." . its not a "precision" device etc. and it seems many of things mentioned as like in my circuit. (bypass 47μF capacitor between +VC and GND) and many other points.  But why i have no signal at all? Is there smthng else?

With only DC measurements, you'll never be sure if or what AC signal there is or isn't, at any point in a circuit.

Latest posts

Back