what kind of pentode screen connection is this?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5v333

i have been studying tubes for a year now and only triodes. now i have looked at some pentode output stages in old german stuff and see something that i cant get my head around.
maihak v72 and k&h ue100.
they use ef804 and e83f in the output, HT feed via inductor, ac coupled with a cap before transformer.

the screen2 in both schematics is connected via resistors both to HT line and cathode. what is this connection? pentode or triode or a mix of both?

the v72 also has some funky feedback between the cathodes of both tubes in circuit...

there is feedback  all over the V72,  some of it can be found in textbooks,

V1 has NFB  on the cathode due to no cap
V2 has NFB on the cathode due to no cap,
V1 gets AC and DC feedback via the RC network at the top of the schematic,
V2 cathode gets some of the AC/DC from the network via the 50K resistor,
V2 AC screen voltage - some of it gets on the V2 cathode but not much
V2 screen is only partially bypassed via 30K, so there is NFB there,

Ollie at Tab/Funkenwerk had all the files from the 40 years worth of tweaking ,
they were trying to squeeze another .001% distortion  out of the equation,

lots of simultaneous equations which are easier to solve on the bench with a scope,

Attachments

• v72 fb.png
    v72 fb.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 38
it forms a voltage divider with he 30K to drop he screen down a bit,

normally there would be a screen bypass cap, maybe 0.1, to keep he screen voltage constant , but hey choose to le he screen move around a bit which means there is some NFB going on,

it could be ha he 200K is tied to he cathode as an easy way to simplify layout as you wire it right on he socket as opposed to running wires out o he board ground,

there is really not much screen AC voltage feedback from wiring the 200K to the cathode,  just a tad,

Latest posts

Back