Vari-Mu Compressor Question ( Thump )

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildafriend

After looking at a few vari mu compressor schematics I mostly see the same concept where the push pull output pentode's anodes get fed to the rectifier and then fed back to center point between the cathodes of the input valves. Maybe there are more ways to vari mu? not sure, but I see a recurring theme

What I'm curious about is if the input for a vari mu comp has to be push pull like most of what I'm seeing or if it could be a single triode or small signal pentode like EF86 that then get's fed into a long tail pair to split out to the output tubes? sort of like an old guitar amp made into a vari mu comp

Just a quick edit for other readers* the control voltage go's back to the grid.

A big problem with vari-mu is that as the control voltage changes the dc potential at the anode of the vari-mu tubes shift. This can cause a nasty thump in the out put with a single tube. However, if you use a balanced/push pull set up the dc shifts are both the same (common mode) so no  thimp appears in the output. Most tubes are not identical so s little of the thump sometimes gets through. A lot of var-mu compressors have a balance control to minimise the thump.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian. That makes a lot more sense now that I know it uses common mode to eliminate a thump.

Is the thump a result of the way the valve reacts to the change in cathode voltage?

buildafriend said:
Thanks Ian. That makes a lot more sense now that I know it uses common mode to eliminate a thump.

Is the thump a result of the way the valve reacts to the change in cathode voltage?

Yes, the bias point changes so the plate voltage changes too. You have to change the bias point to change the gain of the stage.

Cheers

Ian

Are there any articles you would recommend that discuss why the bump happens in greater depth? I have a basic understanding of fixed, grid leak, and cathode bias configurations and I can read the charts but I don't understand why the grid would do so well at controlling the voltage swing at the anode but using the cathode causes this artifact. A mathematical explanation might be interesting to look over.

Grid or cathode is not relevant - it's the potential difference between the grid and cathode that controls the plate current. Some vari-mu devices drive the grids push-pull with a center tapped transformer, and the center tap is used for the gain reduction voltage. Actually, that's the circuit I'm most used to seeing, and the cathodes just sit there doing their local feedback thing with the grids controlling everything - forward signal and gain reduction.

The 'thump' is all about circuit imbalance - both the tubes and the passives. Using a push pull plate transformer, two matched tubes, push pull grid drive, and matched passives, you can minimize it. To counter the inevitable tube aging and mismatch, some pots here and there can correct for the imbalance. It's not super slick, but given that a proper VCA hadn't been invented yet, it works pretty well. And, people seem to like or at least not care too much about the artifacts when it doesn't work so well.

Monte McGuire said:
Grid or cathode is not relevant - it's the potential difference between the grid and cathode that controls the plate current. Some vari-mu devices drive the grids push-pull with a center tapped transformer, and the center tap is used for the gain reduction voltage. Actually, that's the circuit I'm most used to seeing, and the cathodes just sit there doing their local feedback thing with the grids controlling everything - forward signal and gain reduction.

The 'thump' is all about circuit imbalance - both the tubes and the passives. Using a push pull plate transformer, two matched tubes, push pull grid drive, and matched passives, you can minimize it. To counter the inevitable tube aging and mismatch, some pots here and there can correct for the imbalance. It's not super slick, but given that a proper VCA hadn't been invented yet, it works pretty well. And, people seem to like or at least not care too much about the artifacts when it doesn't work so well.

Thanks Monte,

I think I understood what Ian was saying mostly but now I'm trying to figure out why the thump happens instead of just what the work around is. Judging from the look of the "balance control" trim I'm starting to think I see where the issue exists. It looks like it's the result of the way the CV hits the input stage, with slightly imperfect voltages hitting the nicely biased grid/cathode ratio. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to see the issue for what it is. Part of me wonders if there is anything that can be implemented to come from the output to do the job better than the rectifier tube with enough precision to not upset the input valve's sensitive grid/cathode ratio and biasing. 

Nearly all pre-transistor compressors drive the grids, not the cathodes. (Why?)

Thump: you have two race-cars order to drive exactly abreast (perhaps to provoke a tie finish). Yellow flag comes out, they have to back off. Since the two cars can not be EXACTLY alike, at all speeds, one will move ahead of the other. Thump.

buildafriend said:
I think I understood what Ian was saying mostly but now I'm trying to figure out why the thump happens instead of just what the work around is.
It's largely the mismatch of the tubes. If you look at the plate curves, the datasheet gives you 'typical' characteristics, but each tube is slightly different from any other, and also varies over time due to wear and how nicely the cathode is activated at that moment. So when the grid-cathode voltage is changed, even by the exact amount for both tubes (as will happen with the center tapped grid input transformer), the plate voltage for each tube will not change by the same amount. So, the center tapped plate transformer will see a net difference in current from each side, which looks like an output signal, so it will make it to the secondary.

So, the thump is less from any imperfect application of the control voltage, but rather how the tubes act when they're driven out of the normal bias point - two tubes might match up well at zero gain reduction, but have different curves at the reduced bias levels.

Part of me wonders if there is anything that can be implemented to come from the output to do the job better than the rectifier tube with enough precision to not upset the input valve's sensitive grid/cathode ratio and biasing.

One possibility would be to use a more precise way to trim the symmetry of the two tubes, to try to get their curves over a wide range of control voltages to match up. The commonly used 'one knob' balance trim pot controls the static grid voltage offset, but not so much the gain of the CV to the grids. I could see using a more complex circuit that not only allows the static grid bias offset to be trimmed, but also the gain of the control voltage to be adjusted. In other words, you could try to trim the static and linear control voltage to reduce 'thump'. This essentially adds a gain trim to the control voltage, to the existing static DC trim.

Stepping back to reality,  this would be fairly annoying to trim out, but it could be done. However, as the tubes age, these trims, imperfect as they are, will slowly become wrong, since the errors can't be fully trimmed by a zeroth and first order trim anyway, and will need  to be readjusted. It would also make the tube selection/matching process extremely annoying, requiring a pile of tubes from which a suitable pair could then be trimmed from.

I could imagine that this complex and painful cal procedure would reduce the thump by 6-10dB, but is that such a great prize? It's not going to go away, so the 'thump' is pretty much tolerated.

Overall, most vari-mu feedback limiters can be helped out by much more clever release circuits rather than worrying about the thump that's buried inside of 'full scale' output signals. The hole that gets punched from excess LF or too slow of a release time is IMHO a better thing to worry about. I'm restoring a few RCA BA-6A limiters now, and fortunately, I have a bunch of new 6SK7 gain reduction tubes to select among. Given some quality tubes, matched for static characteristics and trimmed in the limiter itself, you can get the BA-6A to work pretty well, enough so that the thump is not a big deal. Still, all bets are off after 500 hours of use, but they're NOS tubes, so hopefully, they'll drift together and they'll get re-trimmed every few months. Most folks who want the BA-6A find that these quirks are part of their character, so as long as you try to make the unit basically clean and well behaved in its stock configuration, the inevitable errors are desirable.

Vari-mu is a bit of a misnomer because the mu of the tubes is pretty constant. What actually varies is the gm of the tube. Normally tubes called remote cut off tpes are used. These have a variable pitch grid winding that ensures gm varies over a much wider range of grid bias voltages than a normal (sharp cut off) tube. I suspect this variable pitch is another source of difference between tubes and will make a contribution to the thump.

However, it is not necessary to use remote cut off tubes in a vari mu compressed. You can use regular sharp vut off tubes which might match better. PRR has published the design of such a compressor.

Cheers

Ian

However you do get VM compressors that aren't push pull.  See attached circuit that I scanned from a very old wireless magazine.    I'm guessing it's probably for your mic on a radio transmitter & not very good quality.

Attachments

• vm comp.jpg
    vm comp.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 97
Rob Flinn said:
However you do get VM compressors that aren't push pull.  See attached circuit that I scanned from a very old wireless magazine.    I'm guessing it's probably for your mic on a radio transmitter & not very good quality.

And they usually have a very restricted low frequency response to minimise the inevitable thump and/or they have slow attack and decay times which also helps.

Cheers

Ian

I was looking at this issue a while back and I came across an interesting patent described in Audio Engineering magazine (December 1952). It's assigned to Motorola, so it may have appeared somewhere in a commercial product along the way. It puts a high mu triode biased by a pair of resistors across B+ that takes advantage of the varying plate resistance of the triode in response to voltage transients to form a clipper circuit that opposes significant voltage rises on the plate of a variable mu pentode. Thus, the thump is attenuated or eliminated.

It's an interesting circuit and some of the gurus around here may have seen it in some production units, but I haven't. I haven't built it to play with yet, but it's on my way-overgrown list to get to.

Pretty cool to my eyes anyway.

BT

Attachments

• VariMuPatent.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
Rob Flinn said:
It's not push-pull but still, there is some kind of thump compensation. The actual gain control is via the screen grid. Then the 2nd 6BA6, driven at grid 2, in turn drives grid 2 of the 1st 6BA6. In short, the thump is detected at the output and fed out-of-phse to the 1st pentode.

abbey road d enfer said:
It's not push-pull but still, there is some kind of thump compensation. The actual gain control is via the screen grid. Then the 2nd 6BA6, driven at grid 2, in turn drives grid 2 of the 1st 6BA6. In short, the thump is detected at the output and fed out-of-phse to the 1st pentode.

I never tried lashing it together, because it did look like it was rather crude.

Rob Flinn said:
The coolest thing about that design, is that instead of one of those newfangled meters to show compression, it uses a magic-eye tube. 8)

Gene

rackmonkey said:
I was looking at this issue a while back and I came across an interesting patent described in Audio Engineering magazine (December 1952). It's assigned to Motorola, so it may have appeared somewhere in a commercial product along the way. It puts a high mu triode biased by a pair of resistors across B+ that takes advantage of the varying plate resistance of the triode in response to voltage transients to form a clipper circuit that opposes significant voltage rises on the plate of a variable mu pentode. Thus, the thump is attenuated or eliminated.

It's an interesting circuit and some of the gurus around here may have seen it in some production units, but I haven't. I haven't built it to play with yet, but it's on my way-overgrown list to get to.

Pretty cool to my eyes anyway.

BT
Different implementation but same idea: detecting the thump and reducing it by NFB. It's not too dissimilar here to the the current use of opamps to get rid of offset in so-called servo outputs.

(A) and (C) reaffirms some of the previous discussion

it's also interesting that the harmonic distortion gets tamed more than the IMD in "the best" designs. They must mean like the BA6A.

Attachments

• RDH4 literature.jpg
    RDH4 literature.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 70
> I found this in the old RCA book

That's a clipper. When diode overcomes battery, gain goes way low, output does not increase so much. There's no envelope filter-- "hard" compression (not brick-wall because the diodes are soft).

This is a talk-limiter for communications radio. Speech may splatt but is highly intelligible due to improved loudness and vowel-clipping ("F" above).

Latest posts

Back