Etec Denmark opto mastering limiter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazer

Does anyone have any information on this mastering limiters.  I'm wondering about a schematic.  I hear that there were models for hi frequency and low frequency limiting during disc cutting.

Hi Scott,  This is an older unit not made anymore.  Just wondering if anybody has info or schematic.  Trying to build something for removing harshness from I the box  mixes.  These are suppose to have a very sweet top end sound.  masselec or manley Elop are very expensive.  These are all analog and should be doable but are somewhat rare. 

They are still made and part of Ortofon, So making this is not in the immediate cards but there are docs for tube limiters. They are designed to protect cutting heads but  suppose to be great for mastering and taming hi freq for digital signals also.  A plug in desser does a similar thing but seem to not sound as good as the DBTL 20 .  also being active not transformer balanced and opamp based  makes it a DIY friendly project.  Maybe some day.

Etec deals with Ortofon disk cutting equipment. They are the only ones who can rewind Ortofon cutting heads.

I’ve never used any of their equipment.  I believe the Gyraf  G24 is based on the Ortofon 631  High Frequency Limiter concept. It has a passive signal path with an active side chain. The HFL that Etec makes is based on the later 732 model.

I use the Maselec. I like it better than anything else including the Neumann.

Thanks Gold.  Not trying to make LP’s just heard it’s good for digital masters also to soften the top end . I’ve heard maselec hi frec limiters are great but at $5K they’ re out of reach. .    I saw the ETec and thought they might be DIY able.  Didn’t know they were still made.  When you see the cArd for the ETec (visible on the sight above) it looks doable .

Scott you have a limiter de esser you like? Did you buy/build.

I have schematics for both the STL631 and the STL732. It would be easier to make the 732. The 732 needs an external RIAA encode to the sidechain input. It was part of a cutting system and took its control signal after the RIAA encode.

The Maselec was more like $3500 last time I checked and you can find them used.

Latest posts

Back