r2d2

Midas Analog used consoles Is it worth it ?
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:34:51 AM »
Hey to all

have a friend that think to buy a Midas used analog console (Heritage) to put in its private studio ,
for analog mixdown , and why not also for use mic pres for tracking ,

"dangerous" intention ?

Midas still give tech. support and spare parts in case of repairs are required ?
thanks in advance for any post about
cheers
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:53:48 AM by r2d2 »
..... Cracking D.Vader Firewall ...  II-)

Tungstengruvsten

Re: Midas Analog used consoles Is it worth it ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »
Great idea - Daniel Lanois has a Midas H4000 in his Toronto studio as his main desk even though he has a few Neves around....Midas is (unfortunately) part of the bigger Music Group/Behringer companies now so I imagine parts and service are getting more difficult as the years go by but there were enough of these around that parts should be available for a good handful of years...
Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?

r2d2

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:58:37 AM »
Great idea - Daniel Lanois has a Midas H4000 in his Toronto studio as his main desk even though he has a few Neves around....Midas is (unfortunately) part of the bigger Music Group/Behringer companies now so I imagine parts and service are getting more difficult as the years go by but there were enough of these around that parts should be available for a good handful of years...

thanks for post,

it is better to get and store a good quantity of parts like pots, switches, Ics , and other more  before they go out of production?

pucho812

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »

Daniel is specific in what he uses in that each piece of gear performs a specific task. So for example his BCM-10's are for tracking purposes only. The Midas is specifically for mix down only.  In his L.A. studio he had a Neve 8068 which he recently unloaded. I do not know what he put in it's place, but up in canada he still has the Midas.  I was fortunate enough to record him some years back as part of a demo with IZ corp the makers of radar. Daniel played pedal steel and talked radar. He is such a gracious individual, We spend  a lot of time after the event listening to music,  including his black dub album. It was cool.
Every mic has a purpose it might be a door stop or a hammer, but every mic has a purpose.

r2d2

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:35:33 PM »
Daniel is specific in what he uses in that each piece of gear performs a specific task. So for example his BCM-10's are for tracking purposes only. The Midas is specifically for mix down only.  In his L.A. studio he had a Neve 8068 which he recently unloaded. I do not know what he put in it's place, but up in canada he still has the Midas.  I was fortunate enough to record him some years back as part of a demo with IZ corp the makers of radar. Daniel played pedal steel and talked radar. He is such a gracious individual, We spend  a lot of time after the event listening to music,  including his black dub album. It was cool.

Nice !
thanks for infos "Pucho"
about spare parts can be a problem  get them ?
cheers

sahib

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »

I had four new and unused matrix strips that I eventually parted out. I sold the LED  meter modules to two members here, but I still have a good number of potentiometers ( particularly dual concentric), knobs and switch caps if they would be of interest. Although removed, all new and unused.

pucho812

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 09:26:07 PM »
Nice !
thanks for infos "Pucho"
about spare parts can be a problem  get them ?
cheers

Hmmm I don't think there is any unobtainium in there
Every mic has a purpose it might be a door stop or a hammer, but every mic has a purpose.