-

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not a significant concern but perhaps be selective about which end of the resistor is sticking up. For example let the lower impedance end be hanging in the wind.

JR

It's the old answer that 'it depends'.

Function of resistor in the circuit ?
Resistance Value ?
Is the Veroboard / Stripboard layout making use of 0V / low-Z tracks to simulate some sort of 'Ground Plane'.
In general it will obviously increase loop area which we want to avoid but whether it makes a real difference is down to the specifics...

On an associated note - I often use SMT (MELF / Thin Film) resistors on stripboard either bridging tracks or cutting track then bridging the gap. Can save lots of spec and similarly with small value bypass caps.

I like to make the upper end the end I may want to probe in debugging.

IMHO that's usually more important than keeping the "lively" end close to the board. Especially at solid-state mixer impedances.

80hinhiding said:
Thanks for the tips guys.  If I'm understanding .. the low Z side of a resistor.. being the side that is closer to reaching 0V, no matter where it is in the circuit?

Edit: hmm, actually probably the other way around.. since the side closest to 0V would need to be short as possible.  I don't know.. I need some clarity on it.

the Z refers to the impedance of the signal at that end of the resistor.
So, for example, on a feedback resistor around an opamp from output to inverting input - the output end is low Z and the inverting input Z higher Z. So you'd keep the end of the resistor connected to the non inverting input close to the board.
Basically any signal node has an impedance value associated with it.

But PRR's practical point (below) is worth bearing in mind. It's very difficult to probe the board end of a vertically mounted resistor.
I'd go with that suggestion to aid development and test.

PRR said:
I like to make the upper end the end I may want to probe in debugging.

IMHO that's usually more important than keeping the "lively" end close to the board. Especially at solid-state mixer impedances.

Latest posts

Back