Descent output transformers for HiFi tube amps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnheath

Hi all...

After trying to find information about it on different HiFi forms I thought I would give it a try here.

As mentioned I am looking for descent output transformers for sale... preferably in Europe. I have looked at the Edcor and they seem fine but hard to track down in ... Europe. I know don-audio in Germany have a pretty wide range of them but unfortunately not the ones I would like to buy.

Beside Edcor I was wondering if there are others that are suitable for a HiFi tube amp? Any thoughts?

Best regards

/John

5v333 said:
lundahl!

are you refering to power amp?

Sorry... yes, I am referring to power amps

I haven't looked yet if Lundahl have such output transformers but I will.

Best regards

/John

CJ said:
what kind of tubes?

Well... looking at heater current and price and such I have a few candidates. At the moment I am leaning towards EL34 but also KT88. I cannot really say what would be the major difference sound wise... if there is any? Du you with you vast knowledge recommend any specific tubes for HiFi... I think those power triodes 300B are way too expensive... this is for a home-brew project... descent but do not know if I would like to cork-sniff too much.

I just had a look at the Lundahl transformers and they have output transformers but since I am a p2p type of guy I find their close-pin-connections a bit troublesome to deal with...

What did you have in mind?

Best regards

/John

john12ax7 said:
Are Hammond available in Europe?

Yes, sir, they are through mouser... maybe I am wrong but I have read (on the Internet :) )that they are not so... sought for?

Best regards

/John

most power tubes seems quite expensive... so i think you are going to spend a fair amount on a tube amp how ever you do it...

sowter also have output transformers for power amps.

but lundahl is in our country. localy produced!

i wanna build a power amp too!!  :'(

5v333 said:
most power tubes seems quite expensive... so i think you are going to spend a fair amount on a tube amp how ever you do it...

sowter also have output transformers for power amps.

but lundahl is in our country. localy produced!

i wanna build a power amp too!!  :'(

Yes, sir... money has to be spent in one way or another. So you are from Sweden as well? :)

The Lundahl are usually pretty expensive but looking at their prices, their power output transformers are in fact in the same price range as the Edcors so I think I will send Lundahl an e-mail and ask them a bit more about their various transformers and also about what they recommend to use for tying the cables (their output transformers are standing with the connectors on the sides).

Build one! :)

Best regards

/John

johnheath said:
Yes, sir, they are through mouser... maybe I am wrong but I have read (on the Internet :) )that they are not so... sought for?

The sought after part I can't answer.  But I have used them in the past and been satisfied.

thats the spirit :)

yea i live in göteborg.

i would guess that all of lundahls output transformers have threaded holes on one side for mounting them with screws as you wish.

hmm interesting about the similarity in price between lundahl and edcor.

but you should prob take on CJs question aswell and think about what tubes u wanna try? and also spend some time thinking about psu requirements.

john12ax7 said:
The sought after part I can't answer.  But I have used them in the past and been satisfied.

Thank you sir... I understand

My small experience with Hammond transformers is based on a try to use a Hammond power transformer in a LA2A and it had "hum" that made it useless so I am a bit reluctant to use the... I might be very wrong here but you know how it is... once burned you stay away from the matches.

best regards

/John

5v333 said:
thats the spirit :)

yea i live in göteborg.

i would guess that all of lundahls output transformers have threaded holes on one side for mounting them with screws as you wish.

hmm interesting about the similarity in price between lundahl and edcor.

but you should prob take on CJs question aswell and think about what tubes u wanna try? and also spend some time thinking about psu requirements.

Thank you sir

I think I have the PSU worked out (with Edcor power transformer) and the heater current is fairly similar between the tubes I am interested in so that is not a major concern at the moment and I guess it won't be either.

Nice about Göteborg. I have spent much time since my dad is from Göteborg and my brother lived there for 20 or so years... nice town.

Best regards

/John

sahib said:
Hammond has a base in the UK. I have purchased directly from them. I am happy to help.

Thank you sir

As I answered just before I have a few bad encounters with Hammonds and I am a bit reluctant to get them again... made some purchases a couple of years ago and was not satisfied... maybe my mistake but I then solved the hum by buying a power transformer from Sowter which worked like a charm.

Best regards

/John

Anyone familiar with hooking these up? (picture)

http://www.lundahl.se/tube-output/

What should I use?

Best regards

/John

how many watts you lookin for? triode tubes, especially SE mode, put out low watts compared to push pull pentodes,

if you want to go cheap, consider some horizontal sweep tubes used in old tv sets,

you can get RCA NOS on the cheap.

Latest posts

Back