New super smooth K87 capsule from 3U Audio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

I believe this could be my next favorite capsule. After inquiry about some capsules Guosheng offered me to try his newly developed super smooth k67 as he calls them. Not cheapset for 100 bucks, but if they sound like that frequency plot suggests (+3db @ 15K) they are amazing and pretty unique. He says his goal was to create capsule that sounds u87 in flat circuit.  Can't wait to hear it. 

Attachments

• super smooth 87 style capsule for 84 style circuit.pdf
    7.8 KB · Views: 139
Yeah, I just got one too last week. It's brand new and I really love it. I installed it with a MicParts T-84 circuit and the combo sounds pretty amazing for VO. I've actually been using it on jobs for the last few days and I'm quite pleased. At least for now, this has cured me of my desire to build a Poctop D87.

Brand new. And yes, he actually said he got feedback from a voiceover artist who loved it. Had no idea it was you :)

kingkorg said:
Brand new. And yes, he actually said he got feedback from a voiceover artist who loved it. Had no idea it was you :)

I had been asking Guosheng about a K67-style capsule that would pair with a flat circuit for a while and, being the mad capsule genius he is, one week he said he had come up with this one. I tried it with a D847 circuit and, to my ear, it sounded more 47-ish, pretty much like an AT4047, but when I put it into this other mic I had with the Mic Parts T84, it really came to life for me with the 87-ish vibe I wanted for work. It's got girth and it's got nice aggressive mids, so it really works for my voice on certain types of reads like commercial VO's. As I got it dialed into my rig, I started using it for a lot of other jobs including a narration on wildfires for The Nature Conservency because it had a really nice immediacy to it as well on softer conversational reads. Normally, I'd use a Sennheiser 416 on stuff like that, but I'm really loving what this combo is doing with my particular vocal tone.

Here's a quick recording so you can hear it: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsxc7cka5hl3076/3uAudio%20Smooth%20Capsule%20.wav?dl=0

Now this was hilarious. Sounds killer, sparkly high end without trace of sibilance.

However, i can hardly imagine your voice sounding bad on any mic :)

I think this guy doesn't get attention he deserves

Why thank you, sir. Truth be told, I actually have an odd voice that sounds like crap on a lot of mics, especially 47-style mics which always seem to bring out a weird honk I have in my tone around 360-400hz. This is why I've been trying to learn how to mod and build mics, so that I could finally custom fit one to my voice for work. This new capsule really works some serious magic and gives me the girth and bite I need for everyday VO so I couldn't be happier with it.

You're right, Guosheng Zhang is a guy who deserves a lot more attention for the work he does. He already has a growing cult following among those familiar with his 3u Audio mics and those savvy enough to know what other companies he does OEM capsules for. I love the fact that he's always open to new ideas and has the ability to quickly turn those designs into reality.  Plus, he seems like a super nice guy. I've been a fan ever since the late, great KidVybes started posting about him.

Back